how to dry and cure large quantities (Texas Kid, MPB'ers etc)

• Thread starter Xceptional
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mrdizzle

I rack dry but thats only because I use a trim machine. If I was really trying to get my buds put in high time I would cut the braches off teh plant and hang them with their fan leafs still on until they are dry, about 7-10 days. then dry trim.

the plant literally ripens on the vein and pops the most insane crystals. DJ short has a nice article about whole plant drying. its pretty fucking insane, try it with one plant and you'll be amazed

Z

zoeronerer

what is the proper RH? my proper RH has always been whatever the ambient RH was in the room i chose to use lol.

80% rh... and the buds should be 25% of their weight at harvest.... or just do the snap test...

when you buy something in plastic even water, as opposed to a glass container ...

which one tastes better? ....

plastic smells like plastic thats my problem with it ..unless its nalgene or a hard plastic its going to gas...

just my 2 cents .. good luck on yer pulls....

squarepusher

squarepusher

i use large tote and setup a fan goign into it, with heat source and holes in the tote.

dont let the temp go over 85* F, and you can do a full cure in 2-4 days depending on amount from chop.

X

Xceptional

i use large tote and setup a fan goign into it, with heat source and holes in the tote.

dont let the temp go over 85* F, and you can do a full cure in 2-4 days depending on amount from chop.

wow that seems like a pretty aggressive approach that is at higher risk of resulting in a bad end product. how many times have you done this? what about comparison to a slower dry with no direct air or minimal air movement and just ambient heat like a temp of the rest of your space?

slow drying is kind of like flushing in that the general consensus is that it's a necessity and rarely do you find people who disagree.

squarepusher

squarepusher

wow that seems like a pretty aggressive approach that is at higher risk of resulting in a bad end product. how many times have you done this? what about comparison to a slower dry with no direct air or minimal air movement and just ambient heat like a temp of the rest of your space?

slow drying is kind of like flushing in that the general consensus is that it's a necessity and rarely do you find people who disagree.

hello. I will try to answer some of your questions. I have done this method once, but learned it from someone else whats has extensive experience. This method was invented to dry flowers in a high humidity location, where hanging dry will not suffice. Ensuring the temperature stays near 86 but without exceeding will prevent THC degradation while allowing for a mold free accelerated dry period.

I have not tried, but would guess stagnant airflow would encourage mold. The original person who uses this method claims there is little to no difference between traditional, glass jar/several week curing method, however I have not tested this claim out. However, this would be a good method to ensure a fast dry and no mold surely. The instructions the buds can be put directly from cut into your tote setup (try to make a layer type setup inside to have a few layers to stack buds), and they are ready once the stem snaps. However, with a large batch you may want to go several hours after this, as the outside of the buds may seem fine, but the interior of the buds if they are fat may have too much water still and need additional time.

Just an option to use if you are looking for something fast, and without mold. I can post a pic if you are interested in more.

C

Crom1904

the big glass mason jars are the best for putting your harvest in bc they are glass and that doesnt degrade the thc if ur harvest is to big i would break up as much as i have and put them in jars and keep the rest of them hung and put black trash bags around them and every so often take them off so ur harvest can breath and repeat the process

it could take up to a moth or two to completely cure your smoke

Good luck

Blaze

Blaze

Stagnant air flow will ABSOLUTELY encourage mold. Air flow is almost more important than temperature as far as that goes. This is a quick run down on how we deal with larger quantities:

Remove all the fan leaves and excess stems and break the plant down into about 12"-18" chunks which are hung to dry. Ideally dry at around 70 with low RH good airflow for about 5-7 days. Remove from the drying line, and then remove any additional stems from the buds so that all we have are the untrimmed buds and place these in a brown paper bag to continue to dry the rest of the way - usually another 5-7 days, sometimes more, depending on the wether and the density of the buds. The brown bags help wick the moisture away evenly and slow the drying down for this last bit. A slow dry and cure produces the best smoke.

Once they are dry enough place the brown bags in two layers of hard or food grade plastic, like turkey bags or heavy duty contractor bags. The soft plastics, such as zip locks or trash bags, off-gas which is what gives bud a funny smell and taste when they are stored this way. Plus they are not 100% air right - air can seep in through the plastic itself. In the case of zip locks they actually have little pores built into the bags for this exact purpose.

If you use the larger contractor bags you can fit as much as 3 brown bags easily without squishing anything. I usually figure one brown bag will hold between 1-2 lbs when done this way, so a contractor bag can hold as much as 3-6 lbs if you load it up.

At this point be sure to store your bags in a cool, dark place just like you would wine. An in-ground storage tank is always nice for this since it keeps it at a cool and constant temperature.

N

noone88

Buy Caliber III (3) from online. They also sell them at cigar shops.

Once you start bottling or using plastic containers (I prefer 5 gallon buckets), you can use the caliber 3's mounted by magnets/double-sided tape on the top of the lids.

Anything over 70% humidity, it needs to be dumped out on the rack and dried for another 12-24 hours. Between 65-69%, leave the lid open for a few hours with your fan circulating air in the room.

Once you're between 60-64%, you're in the curing humidity range. Pop open the lid once a day for 15 minutes, or if you have enough jars, through them into Ball Mason Jars.

sedate

sedate

squarepusher said:
I can post a pic if you are interested in more

Yea I want to see that. Post that pic.

blaze said:
Stagnant air flow will ABSOLUTELY encourage mold. Air flow is almost more important than temperature as far as that goes.

^^This is correct. Watch that standing air.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
lol X i was just fucking around. i didnt know if you had 10 lbs or not. as i have no idea if you have more then one room. just beacuse someone shoes a pic of a 1k-3k lights or whatever dont mean they dont have another spot with 20k going. and if you ask for help drying 10 lbs i belive you need help drying 10 lbs. so dont think i was callin you out bro. i know your a good dude and wouldnt bother making shit up.

X

Xceptional

Twist it's all good you a super good dude got some of your genetics making their way my way now! in fact i got some of that Strawberry Diesel x Violator Kush downstairs right now! well i do got 8k going into this next rip between me and a friend who i partner with and we're on the same schedule so it will be some numbers to work with!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Blaze is either EXTREMELY FAST, or has some help. :p
how do you cure your harvests when they are too large to use glass jars?

if you have never dont this please dont respond with what you think or heard will work. no offense but enough people on the farm have done it that regurgitated info that isn't tested by the poster isn't needed. feel free to post links to threads or posts regarding this topic from someone who is speaking from experience!

I'm looking for the Texas Kid, MPB growers etc that are pulling down lbs and when you pull 10 lbs 160 jars doesn't sound feasible at all.
Whole plants get cut down, hung up to dry. After they're dry then only some basic trimming gets done--big fan leaves only--and they're broken down at that time to just buds. Buds go into paper bags, paper bags go into bins that are stored in our basement where RH remains a pretty constant 60%-70% (if it's been raining a lot it goes higher). Paper bags have turned out to be my best long term storage solution. They're non-breakable, my stuff stays at a good moisture level, comes out as nice and green and about as good as the day they were bagged. I've found bags over a year old in the basement I'd forgotten about and it still smoked well.

Turkey bags are NOT a good long term storage solution because they let buds dry out very, very quickly. They are your no-smell transportation solution and nothing else.

J

Jalisco Kid

I dry on patio screen doors held together and stacked. You can hang 6 in a normal room. Each holds about 2-2.5 elbows. Stacked together they are about 3" thick. I use a 1.5" pvc frame takes about 10-15 min to set up. JK

M

Malachi

Well the only time I harvest 10+ pounds is outdoors. Last year I think I pulled about 12. Here is what I do, just my 2 cents. I hang the plants whole minus the fans until the stems snap. I then trim all the bud leaves off and trim the branches off the plant about 18" or so. I then place the branches with manicures buds on them in 5 gallon buckets buds facing up, stems facing down. I put the lid on and cure just like jars, hope this helps. Sorry I don't have any pics for you I will take some this fall.

600gph

600gph

At this point I think I dry my herb but it doesnt stay around long enough to really cure...

Trimming machine
Dry with hanging racks for 5 - 7 days
Use turkey bags, 5 gallon home depot buckets and cardboard boxes to get it right..

mc

true grit

true grit

Walmart has hella big jars for 5.99 that hold a good 1/2 lb.

Pretty soon once larger harvests start rolling (yes even for multiple pounds I stick with mason jars- hella burping)...we will be using the air tight "VacSeal" containers that they are hypin at the conventions. They store 1-2lb, and completely air tight once sealed. My homies in norcal use those to burp/cure a LB at a time. And once burped, they are air tight for storage. Usually just put em in a bag and seal em in those. They look like a small r2d2 trashcan and you can hear the air get sucked out.

Here at my elevation I'm stuck with around 30%rh which I have found HELLA fucks with drying. At a point now, that I can keep enough humidity, with a hair too much airflow and stretch things to about 5-6 days. I will be rebuilding and sealing the room to push plants a good 7-10 days and probably do screens or baskets like jack or JK.

With RH so low, its almost impossible to go anywhere but jars right after trim/chop and takes a good week or 1hr burps to get the rest of moisture out. But once done, I swear especially recently- people have been squeezing my buds thinking they are still moist. They are not, they are cured correctly and just squishy/sticky/solid and not dry/crumbly. Then they set it out like it needs to dry and end up with shitty dry bud they sell. Go figure.

H

haole

Similar to cigars, I shoot for 70/70. 70% hum/70F. Long slow dry then cure.
Here is a couple of links to hum packs that come in different %. Also these will and or remove moisture to attain correct RH.
http://www.bovedapacks.com/

http://www.med-fresh.com/

HTH
pp69

No offense but 70% rh for storage ruins the flavor of good pot... I've tried those humidipacks a few times and have found the resulting product to fail the side-by-side smoke test (even if it handled easier.)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yet here I am storing mine in paper bags in a fairly constant environment of 60%-70% and it doesn't fail to stand up with side-by-sides. No offense, but I'll go with pike's advice. It jives with another friend's advice and practice and that guy puts out some fantastic dank.

Top Bottom