how to feed in growg with soil

• Thread starter michigangrowers
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

michigangrowers

im growing in soil using pro mix and perlite 50/50 im using gh flora grow and micro and cal-mag, i let my water sit for 24-48 hrs and the ph goes up when i mix nutes the ph goes down then i add ph up to get to 6.8/6.9 is this the correct way any suggestions would be helpfull, thanks.

M

michigangrowers

thanks for the ph tip and im using micro bloom grow and no not the lucas but herd its good thanks for the reply

Blaze

Blaze

Learn to brew Aerated Compost Tea. Single best thing you can do for your plants when growing in soil. The Soil Food Web Inc website has a ton of good info on it, check it out:

T

treehugger

6.8-6.9 is to high. shoot for 6.4 in soil, try not to use ph up/down. I use Humic/Fulvic as down and Potassium Silicate for up.Are you using Micro and Grow? Or MIcro/Bloom/Grow? Or Micro/Bloom? ie, Lucas Formula?

Yes, but be aware that different Humate compositions can have the opposite effect. I use the HumiSolve on occasion as a PH up.

BCrocker

BCrocker

Learn to brew Aerated Compost Tea. Single best thing you can do for your plants when growing in soil. The Soil Food Web Inc website has a ton of good info on it, check it out:

I couldn't find the recipe for the tea on here? Or am I just too baked lol

Blaze

Blaze

Website is mostly a primer, I don't think there is a specific recipe on there. IMO it is really important to understand the principals behind what is going on or else you might be brewing tea that won't work well. Here is a good basic recipe to start you out, brew for 18-24 hours:

For 10 gallons:

100 mL organic unsulphured backstrap molasses
120 mL organic leondorite derived humic acid
45 mL organic fish hydrolysate (NOT emulsion, very important!)
50 grams cold processed powdered seaweed (not liquid, also important)
7 tbsp Growing Solutions compost tea catalyst
6 cups organic earthworm castings
6 cups Alaskan humus

F

franky118

your supposed to let the pH swing between 6.0 - 7.0 not keep it at one specific pH level

T

themeangreen

ive been told youre supposed to check the pH from the water runoff once youve watered the plant not before as the soil will change the results.

R

RareDanknessRep

if you're going with the compost tea, though, you'll wanna phase out the Cal-Mag - the salts will kill the hell out of the microbeasties the tea is feeding.

Blaze

Blaze

Yep, never mix it with fertilizers either for that same reason - the excess salts will negate the positive effects of the tea. Always use it just by itself.

R

RareDanknessRep

Yep, never mix it with fertilizers either for that same reason - the excess salts will negate the positive effects of the tea. Always use it just by itself.

Blaze - quick question on the Tea note - is it sufficient by itself if you haven't amended your soil? Do you need to top-dress with amendments if you didn't mix them in? Thanks!

Blaze

Blaze

Amending with top dressing definitely helps IMO. The thing with tea is that it is NOT a fertilizer and should not be used like one. That core concept seems to confuse a lot of people.

Tea does not add much NPK to the soil but rather increases the efficiency which the plant can uptake the existing nutrients. A very small percentage of the NPK in your soil, or when you do soil drenches with liquid ferts, actually gets used by the plant (usually less than 10%). Tea helps the soil "hold on" to those nutrients longer and increases the rate which they are broken down into a plant available form. Therefore when plants are fed tea, their nutrient uptake increases greatly, but not because more NPK has been added - it is because they are using what is already there more efficiently.

Even if you have not amended your soil much, and do not top dress, you should still see beneficial results from a well made aerated compost tea. However, if you top dress, then drench with tea, you will be greatly increasing the effectiveness of your top dressings. So, you don't "need" to top dress, but I certainly does not hurt IMO, so long as you do not over do it of course.

S

Steel Erection

If your using the Gh Flora series let the water sit for 12 hours AFTER you mix your nutrients. Put an air line in it to bubble. This will give the ph buffers in the nutrients time to stabilize. After your mix sits for 12 hours ph to 6.5 and feed.-SE

Top Bottom