How to fix extremely vertical growth in seedling?

• Thread starter tegridee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

tegridee

I'm a first time cannabis grower but I've grown other crops from seed before. My sprout has had a rough start, from having a seed helmet for a few days (which was finally removed last night) to having extreme upwards growth. I had planted my seed just barely beneath the surface of soil, and I had used an organic seed starting mix with no added nutrients or fertilizers. Admittedly I did the rookie mistake of not keeping a growth diary, so I am a bit unsure of the time frame from when my germinated seed sprouted and to the seed helmet falling off last night. I haven't kept the seedling away from light, and I've been keeping it 24/7 under the full spectrum glow lights that came with the fluval flex aquarium I'm using as a seed starting house.

My current hypothesis is that the seed helmet significantly blocked the cotyledons from receiving enough light, which then in turned stressed it and encouraged it to grow very vertically. I was wondering if there was any way to remedy this, such as replanting it deeper into the pot? This is my only germinated seed out of 3.
How to fix extremely vertical growth in seedling

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Do you crack your seed using, plastic bag and paper towel?
I find this to be the best way 99% success rate. And warm 80 deg F. Keep them warm and the towel wet wet.
As soon as you see a sprout drop it on it's side 1/4 inch deep. The tail will turn down, push the top up and the top will also turn down so it removes the shell on the way to the surface. Then turn up to the light.

Don't worry about the seedling stretching a bit. Some just stretch looking for light.
When you transplant you can put it as deep as the funny little leaves that grow first. Cant remember the name.

When you plant deep like this you need to be careful you don't break the seedling but that stalk bellow ground will grow roots as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom