How to get a gram a watt

• Thread starter medmanmilan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

medmanmilan

Hey guys,
I've been growing for almost three years now, and I know it may be hard for some of you to believe, but the best yield I've gotten is .25 GPW. I grew it my own style, I had fourteen Green Crack clones in rockwool, each one had 3-4 main buds, I grew it out with only main arms. Picture like four main branches with only one big bud per branch. I grew it in rockwool under a 1000w HPS.

I've tried many different methods, coco, SCROG, DWC, rockwool slabs, rockwool cubes, tons of stuff, and I've never gotten better than .25 GPW.

My stuff is always really super dank so thats not an issue, the only problem is my yields.

I would be forever indebted to the veteran grower who'd be willing to share with my their method of yielding 1+ GPW.

Please don't just offer up tips as to what I could be doing wrong, I would like to know all about your method and all key information.

I know how to give plants nutrients, I've tried many different brands and none really seem to be the bees knees. If you only get a gram per watt because of some nutrient and no other reason, please do say.

I would most like to know how you train your plants, and how you put them in to flower.

K

Karma Genetics

I know you proberly dont wanne hear this but, by you saying the herb is good, i get the feeling you are feeding to much to early in flower,

High yields come from low feeding till Peak flower then you can boost it up.

Dont go above 1.6 ec. untill you see some brown hairs then you can start boosting it up by 0,2 per watering.

Peace KG

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I think your main issue is you need more plants to get the yield your looking for

how long you veg? should try 25 plants with about 3-5 days veg

that style is nice because you have no larf - only prime buds

with some strains its difficult to get 1 gpw or 2 lb per 1k

symbiote420

symbiote420

I think your main issue is you need more plants to get the yield your looking for

how long you veg? should try 25 plants with about 3-5 days veg

that style is nice because you have no larf - only prime buds

with some strains its difficult to get 1 gpw or 2 lb per 1k

That's what I was going to say ML, my LA may never yield a gpw, this has more to do with your strain selection than anything else.
And IME all the lower yielding strains I've grown produced a better quality of buds than the bigger yielders.

I

Indicas4me

I always grow good stuff but never get a gram per watt.I dont use a commercial strain though or even go hydroponically.I am trying to lower my ballasts to 600 watters this season to see if I can bump up the numbers I get,which is about what your getting now.

E

Emithsuk

What strains are you running? Need more info on what nutes etc. it takes more than one run to dial in a plant and/or nutrient line.

hiboy

hiboy

Optimum growing conditions in all areas are required, light, temp, humidity, along with the correct feedings per your strain. Along with the correct strain to produce that yield.
Any problems or stress on your plants during your flower session will hamper you, along with bugs,, thats a killa fo sho
h

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I've had super small harvests like that b4 when I grew purple but usually .5 per watt.. I've gotten .25 per watt 1 time with my Alien Dogs 1 plant grew 1/4 oz on 1 plant I was super sad but I didn't give up now I figure out my strain & Alien Dog will give me 2-3oz per plant.. U will need mega producing strains 2 hit that number plus everything has 2 b perfact in ur grow room.. I still haven't hit that number but I'm gettin closer I'm at .75 grams per watt.. This last run I pulled 25oz with my 1000 watt light.. Not counting the small tiny buds I use 2 make Goo with.. Now I'm tossing the smaller producers & adding more of the plants that gave me bigger weight & I no I'll hit that gram per watt within the next 2 cycles..

M

medmanmilan

I know you proberly dont wanne hear this but, by you saying the herb is good, i get the feeling you are feeding to much to early in flower,

High yields come from low feeding till Peak flower then you can boost it up.

Dont go above 1.6 ec. untill you see some brown hairs then you can start boosting it up by 0,2 per watering.

Peace KG

What would you feed your stuff, just normal bud nutes, but lower strength? any supplements? what kind of PPM is 1.6 EC?

I grow a lot of green crack, ive grown blue dream, xj-13, all kinds of kind.

I noticed on my grow with the plants with multiple branches, I had one where the light fell (the string holding the reflector to the hanger broke) and it broke off all the branches except one on a plant, so it was just this branch with one huge ass bud like i swear to god it was at least an oz.

I would love to just take 64 4x4 rockwool cubes and 64 clones and flower them straight, but the only problem is I don't know how to produce that many clones. I mean I could buy them but thats kind of expensive.

I've always been in awe of those huge ass mother plants that I see in high times and those youtube videos of growers, its like one plant in a 30 gallon pot and its got like hundreds of tiny branches, and I can never figure out how they get them like that!

I may not be the best at cloning, (I usually have a 50% success rate, but I always get better) but if i had like three of those huge ass mothers i could just harvest clones from, man oh man I'd be pulling 64 fat ass 1 oz buds out of every 4x4 every time!

When it comes down to it, I feel like its just the clones.

T

theTinker

I may not be the best at cloning, (I usually have a 50% success rate, but I always get better) but if i had like three of those huge ass mothers i could just harvest clones from, man oh man I'd be pulling 64 fat ass 1 oz buds out of every 4x4 every time!

I think you might be under cutting ur mother plants, I've very small mothers. I keep them under CFL as the weaker light tends to give me lots of tiny branches + leaves, and i dont vent so the hotter conditions keep things thin.

Anyways my point is a tiny mother less than a foot tall should be able to give you 64 cuttings no problem. I oft take 50 a piece every couple of weeks.
If one is not enough for you, why not just two small mothers?

bloads

bloads

Go vertical & horizontal. Continue with your normal horizontal bed, but add vertical shelving around your barebulb as well

M

medmanmilan

How to get 50 clones from a small plant

I think you might be under cutting ur mother plants, I've very small mothers. I keep them under CFL as the weaker light tends to give me lots of tiny branches + leaves, and i dont vent so the hotter conditions keep things thin.

Anyways my point is a tiny mother less than a foot tall should be able to give you 64 cuttings no problem. I oft take 50 a piece every couple of weeks.
If one is not enough for you, why not just two small mothers?

If I could see some pictures of your mothers so I could visualize this, I think it would help tremendously.

My only problem with what you say about cutting clones smaller is that, whenever I have a batch of clones that doesn't root, they're always small clones, like the branches were 3-4 inches usually. I've only been able to get much larger, multi-node, 6-8 inch, if not longer clones to root. I think it might have to do with stem development, as the smaller branches usually are quite thinner, less hearty, and I find, get an air embolism in them rather quickly.

I do not mean to sound skeptical of your claim, I would absolutely love to replicate your results.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Clones

I used to make clones for this dude, I made over 1,500 at one time and what I'd do is take a small "dixie cup" but plastic you can buy them by the 100's at walmart. Fill as many cups as you want clones, or the # you want plus your kill %. Use damp soil to fill little cups, then take a tooth pick and poke a hole in the middle of each cup as deep as you want to plant the clone. Then take your clones cut at a 45 with a sharp tool, I'd take a 1 1/2-2" piece off the end of any branch that looked good. Just make sure to have at least 1 node or off shoot to the little clone. Immediately after cutting dip cut end into prepared cloning substance and put into the 1st hole in the 1st cup, after inserting the clone into the tooth pick hole press soil around the stem firmly so clone will stand on its own. After you fill your tray with clones place the tray under flourescent light a couple of inches below the lights. Rotate tray putting the front to the back and vise versa daily this will ensure even moisture dispersion. when they dry out some just add water to the tray letting them dry out a little more each time. Will have roots in a week or three. Can add heat mat under tray if speed is of the essence but watering will need to be done much more frequently. Should help you make some clones. Can substitute a rapid rooter etc for the cup, take care

mal

ttystikk

ttystikk

Back to the basic thread; You can get a gram per watt with just one plant, if you're willing to wait that long for it to get BIG in veg. Yes, it's easier with more smaller plants.

Lighting; often, I see people don't put the light as close as they can to the plants. If it's too far away, then the plants don't get the intensity they need to produce. If temps are too high, they have trouble. If temps are too low, they get slow. pH needs to be in the right range. Keep up with your nutrient schedule. CO2 is almost mandatory to reach this goal. Humidity is an important and often underlooked variable; too high OR too low can each slow down plant development. I find the single biggest variable is the plant's structure. SCROG, or topping, spreading and tying down, or whatever technique (FIM and supercropping are methods, not ends in themselves) you use, try to get at least 8-16 good flowering tops per plant, and make sure that everything in the room is at the same level. That way, when you lower the lights down onto the girls, it's easy to get the right height and light level. The relationship between the bulk of your plant mass and the lighting is absolutely crucial to yields. Any weak links in this chain, and your yield suffers.

noodles

noodles

I've struggled with the same problem but am finally getting the yields up. First id say get a simple nute program, I use pure blend pro and molasses for now. I used to try too many different nutes without really understanding why I was using them. Sure I read the label but I didn't REALLY understand the life cycle of the plant. Someone else said it- feed low untill peak flowering and then boost a little. After simplifying the feeding, my yields went up and I was able to get a plant through to harvest with the leaves being healthy. Healthy plant- healthy yield.

Another variable that has helped tremendously is having a proper reflector. I had super suns, uncooled and those tiny reflector created an intense hot spot. Canopy temps were too high. The plants couldn't thrive. Switched out for cool suns and plant health went up- yields went up. Next, added a fan to cool the lights, even more comfortable canopy temps.

Now as I write this I realize what I decided to do that started to improve my beloved hobby. I said fuck it I don't care about yield I just want the plants to be healthy.

And of course your pheno and training. Lst has helped a lot too. This is my experience:hi

Top Bottom