How to get tight dense nugs

• Thread starter inthefire
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
inthefire

inthefire

How to get nice tight dense buds?Iv read genetics temperature?Any real that have been growing for years have any info?

L

l0g1c4l

The type of nugs one gets largely depends on the strain. Though if you have a strain that is known to produce tight solid buds, than its the obvious in my opinion...the right growing conditions and SH1TL0AD of lights!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
You need light but temps should be kept in check as well as humidity. You can run temps 10-15 degrees higher with CO2 but you still need humidity to be lower for harder buds. Some of it is also in the genetics but proper care and control still plays the biggest part.

P

paco666

1... Feed upwards of 2.5 ec in bloom...
2... Strong 'wind' in the grow...

Density is strain dependant of course but these things can influence nug density....

Overfeeding will do it for sure but I don't recommend it.... You can never flush properly afterwords... I'm talking rock hard... Concrete .... Steel .... HEAVY....

5.0 ec

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You need light but temps should be kept in check as well as humidity. You can run temps 10-15 degrees higher with CO2 but you still need humidity to be lower for harder buds. Some of it is also in the genetics but proper care and control still plays the biggest part.
Relative humidity is the last environmental factor for me to control, and I hadn't planned on trying to reduce RH in my room (too costly out here).

My room's RH typically runs around 60%-70% because it's in our basement and that's the RH in the basement. I've also had huge problems with low temperatures, so I've had my husband help me address that and I believe it's resolved. Water was another environmental factor so I broke down and bought a reverse osmosis/deionization filter, immoral as those things are (I can't stand wasting something as precious as water).

RH is also typically lower outside and I haven't had the problems with airy buds on my OD girls--here I was thinking it was the light only that could explain the difference. Now you've helped me understand otherwise. Thank you!

B

bdawgburner

How about a nutirent along the lines of kool bloom powder, gravity, or overdrive. OD and KB in the last 2 weeks before flush always make my buds rock hard. Use one or the other though, dont combine them.

S

S4v

There's a few different things that help with strain density. Strain is the number one thing. Some strains just aren't that dense. To make sure a dense strain stays dense (IME) you need to:

Keep your temps in check, possibly drop them in the last couple weeks of flower. Hot rooms will give you airy buds.

Make sure the budsites are getting light. Low light means airy, larfy nugs.

Proper use of a quality bloom booster/pk additive will harden em up as well

I heard using high co2 in the last few weeks of flower will keep em from tightening up also..

true grit

true grit

Yeah that was my thought for chunk buds-

But please someone explain the logic behind saying lower rh makes tighter buds? Sorry but I don't believe that for a minute.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Genetics, genetics, genetics. And light, light, light. Most hazes are not prone to produce dense nuggets, unless they're mixed strains. If your VPD is not efficient, then adding CO2 will help. Low humidity is not ideal for yield, it's only good to help control mold/mildew. Think about a rainforest- super hot, high humidity, and plants grow like, a jungle! lol. Most cannabis strains would be loving life in the middle of a rainforest, as long as they got enough sunlight. The RH index has been a super-controversial issue here on the farm, but I believe that a low rh is detrimental to your plants' yield. That means less dense nuggets, as well as fewer of them. I do think that they put out slightly more trichomes in low humidity, but definitely less buds overall.
This is my experience over years of growing cannabis- but I will also say I've never done a documented scientifically-controlled study, either. The best way to learn is to find a grower in your locale who is experienced, successful, and grows the type of buds you're looking for. If they're willing, pick their brain and find out what works best in your area. Good luck, buddy!

B

bigAl25

Here's my take on this question. Bag seed grow with lone 400 watt MH lamp. Should have been good weed but ended up with buds that were not dense. Read all over the farm for tips and suggestions. Obtained OGR strawberry bubba kush seeds, bubblelicious seeds, and AK48 seeds(all fem). Purchases a 400 watt digital ballast with HPS and MH light bulbs. Grew using organic soil, fox farm nutes and switched on 400HPS along with 400MH during flower. I am now the owner of hard, dense, sticky buds curing in my jars at the moment. This second grow quality if off the charts compared to my first grow. Answer: Farmer knowledge obtained, new soil, new nutes, new HPS light, and proven strains produce hard, big sticky buds that make us happy.

S

Skunkenstein

My Take..#1 Genetics #2 Light Intensity #3 Proper Flowering Time for strain #4 Proper room Temps #5 Nutrients. I've seen more often than not,plants that are harvested too early, and never really get to fill out and harden up.The other problem is Room temps that are way too Hot! I would put ''Nutes'' further down the List due to the Fact that most of the Plants I've seen are Basically Burning up with Toxic Levels of Nutrients.Light Intensity is Huge..A plant grown under a 400 vs one under a 1000..well the difference is night and day.

budfriend

budfriend

I dont think High RH has anything to do with dense buds. Its Strain mostly. My rooms have 70% rh. I ussully have more than one strain. AN example is i just ran Chemdog D and HA OG together THe og rock hard., Chemdog D fluffy but still dense. I also had some blueberry romulon in there and it was less dense. The only difference was the strain.

And what eveyone else said light and flower boosters at the end. Think about it bud on top rock hard. The stragelers at the bottom airy.

just my 2 cents peace

D

dreskew

How about a nutirent along the lines of kool bloom powder, gravity, or overdrive. OD and KB in the last 2 weeks before flush always make my buds rock hard. Use one or the other though, dont combine them.

GOod lookin thanks for the heads up

D

dreskew

There's a few different things that help with strain density. Strain is the number one thing. Some strains just aren't that dense. To make sure a dense strain stays dense (IME) you need to:

Keep your temps in check, possibly drop them in the last couple weeks of flower. Hot rooms will give you airy buds.

Make sure the budsites are getting light. Low light means airy, larfy nugs.

Proper use of a quality bloom booster/pk additive will harden em up as well

I heard using high co2 in the last few weeks of flower will keep em from tightening up also..

This forum is very insightful

E

edux10

how do you get away from bud rot with that high of a RH? does a sulfer burner do it? I would think rot would be a big problem at that humidity, but i have been in professional (no pot) greenhouses and growrooms and they were way humid (some did have co2 also).

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I personally cannot say why I haven't experienced bud rot, or anything else associated with what sometimes becomes a ridiculously high RH. But I believe that it was that high RH that prevented spider mites from infecting my flower room when they showed up in my veg-table late last year.

I believe, but am not certain, that temps that are too cool can also have an effect on bud density, and I'm hoping that my efforts to bring room temps up (which have worked very well, almost too well) will alleviate that problem. I hate paying for the power and everything else and feeling like *I* didn't give the best performance.

Top Bottom