How to grow cannabis in a 45-50°C summer?

• Thread starter Haydar1984
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Haydar1984

Haydar1984

Hi guys , the summer is coming soon and temps here are 45-50°C constantly from mid June to mid September , how to grow cannabis in such weather? Is there any possibility that it can be done outdoors?

Seraphine

Seraphine

It can be done but do your research. You’ll need proper irrigation. I recommend drip irrigation and you’ll want the right landscape fabric to help keep the roots cool. it will be more work and there is a chance your plants will suffer heat stress. Research strains that can survive extreme heat.

Matthewstever

Matthewstever

I am in the Mojave desert. I'll be growing outside this year. I learned a lot from last year's tomatoes....
I overwatered the crap out of them at first...be careful. They took a lot less, more often.
They required shade. 50%, directly overhead, big enough to provide shade from about 11am to 3pm.
We had more maters than we could eat.
Hopefully my Cannabis won't die.

Seraphine

Seraphine

I am in the Mojave desert. I'll be growing outside this year. I learned a lot from last year's tomatoes....
I overwatered the crap out of them at first...be careful. They took a lot less, more often.
They required shade. 50%, directly overhead, big enough to provide shade from about 11am to 3pm.

I was thinking fabric row covers might help. But not sure since I’m not experienced in growing in those extreme temps. Instead of spending $$ on metal hoops, you could DIY with wood stakes on each side and drape the fabric over to create some shade

Haydar1984

Haydar1984

It can be done but do your research. You’ll need proper irrigation. I recommend drip irrigation and you’ll want the right landscape fabric to help keep the roots cool. it will be more work and there is a chance your plants will suffer heat stress. Research strains that can survive extreme heat.
Thank a lot , I'm doing my homework at the moment , I need an input if someone has tried this before so it won't all go in vain , thank you 💐

Haydar1984

Haydar1984

Thanks a lot man you gave me hope , I wonder if tomatoes would turn flowers to fruits in such hot weather , I tried a tomatoe last year everything was fine till flowering then not a single flower turned into fruit all just died , my little garden has sun in summer from 9AM till 1 or 2PM the rest is building shade , I don't know about Mojave desert , is it constant 45 in shade? Here the lowest temp at night doesn't go far below 40 , do you think it's ok? And what would be the best time to start planting?

basscaptain

basscaptain

you will be fine out there water before 8am and after 6pm everyday...........

basscaptain

basscaptain

Thanks a lot man you gave me hope , I wonder if tomatoes would turn flowers to fruits in such hot weather , I tried a tomatoe last year everything was fine till flowering then not a single flower turned into fruit all just died , my little garden has sun in summer from 9AM till 1 or 2PM the rest is building shade , I don't know about Mojave desert , is it constant 45 in shade? Here the lowest temp at night doesn't go far below 40 , do you think it's ok? And what would be the best time to start planting?
if you can get some air moving it would help alot......
but yes you can grow in those temps.......

basscaptain

basscaptain

and really if you can get them water right after the sun goes down that's the BEST........................................................... a little water around midnight if you can run a sparkler at night for 5 mins you would be surpized........

Haydar1984

Haydar1984

Screenshot 20200131 130829 Chrome

I just checked the temp averages in your place and it looks like our spring 😅 , none the less I will try a clone or 2 and see what happens

Haydar1984

Haydar1984

and really if you can get them water right after the sun goes down that's the BEST........................................................... a little water around midnight if you can run a sparkler at night for 5 mins you would be surpized........
I can arrange that with a little water pump and timer , you mean I should sprinkle water all over the plant at midnight? Not just water in the ground?
Shouldn't I water at the hottest time of day so they have plenty available water for respiration and cooling down? I can arrange a continuous water misting system , would that be a good idea?

basscaptain

basscaptain

i would run my water for 4 mins @ 5am, @ 11am @6pm @11pm

and I would use the same thing if I was anywere in the HD/Havasu/Mead/Victorville / Bakersfeild

you get the idea......

Haydar1984

Haydar1984

don't know about that overview......

but i know you can grow up to 120 degs in the day and 60 at night with the right watering times.......
Thanks a lot for the thoughts .
The night temps are high too , its around 43°C till midnight and doesn't go below 35 at anytime.

basscaptain

basscaptain

the big thing is to keep that soil/sand moist /wet at night........... and if you can get air moving in the day that will help alot

below frigid

below frigid

Hi guys , the summer is coming soon and temps here are 45-50°C constantly from mid June to mid September , how to grow cannabis in such weather? Is there any possibility that it can be done outdoors?
Be careful watering in the daytime .My water travels a ways to get to the garden and comes out HOT! I water an hour before sunrise. Hard to water too much in that kind of heat. My temps are 90f - 105f every day from June until September . Lots of mulch!

Matthewstever

Matthewstever

I hate converting. Lol
I'm near Victorville...we get 115°f on the regular in the summer. Full sun here is like 100,000 lumens or something obscene like that.
The tomatoes didn't set fruit till we put up the shade.
Water drops on your plants are magnifying glasses and will burn your leaves during the day. Only ever foliar feed at night.
Our desert hardpan has no drainage, so we built a mini- aquifer of sorts under them with gravel layers and groundcloth..we water directly to that subsurface. It's about 2' deep...regular potting soil and pearlite above the gravel. I wish I had pictures....

FresnoFarmer

FresnoFarmer

I hate converting. Lol
I'm near Victorville...we get 115°f on the regular in the summer. Full sun here is like 100,000 lumens or something obscene like that.
The tomatoes didn't set fruit till we put up the shade.
Water drops on your plants are magnifying glasses and will burn your leaves during the day. Only ever foliar feed at night.
Our desert hardpan has no drainage, so we built a mini- aquifer of sorts under them with gravel layers and groundcloth..we water directly to that subsurface. It's about 2' deep...regular potting soil and pearlite above the gravel. I wish I had pictures....
I foliar feed every morning and rinse with plain water every evening in the summer. Last summer I sprayed stressed plants 3 times per day with water and it basically saved them. They weren’t taking in water at the root zone due to root aphid infestation. I didn’t see any leaf scorch from spraying in sunlight.. But then again I have fans in the greenhouses so the water isn’t sitting on the leaves for very long. Now I run the white plastic gh roofing and it keeps the plants much cooler and healthier during heatwaves. I also use dish soap in my foliar feeding solution. Prevents droplets from forming on the leaves 😉

Top Bottom