How to grow from seeds in rockwool

• Thread starter Hgrow4
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hgrow4

I have recently started my seeds and am 7 days in and struggling . The main issue is I am using an aero x-stream propogator.
I would like to just start it from the top so any help would be appreciated

2Bad

2Bad

@GNick55 @RootsRuler @Buzzzz he's using a aero cloner for rock wool cubes my boy needs some help idk ne thing about cubes

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
That was from this morning. When 50% still had colour and 50% were pale.
Now all of them are pale and look very very weak
ok.. iā€™m not sure but your probably too wet..
hang tight someone will chime in whoā€™s familiar with those cubes..

Moshmen

Moshmen

ok.. iā€™m not sure but your probably too wet..
hang tight someone will chime in whoā€™s familiar with those cubes..
@tobh @PK1 uses them I think šŸ¤” could ya help a brother out -

Were the cubes soaked in nutrient solution or what?

H

Hgrow4

@tobh @PK1 uses them I think šŸ¤” could ya help a brother out -

Were the cubes soaked in nutrient solution or what?
I used this aero x-stream propogator. Basically spraying the underside of the rock wool 24/7.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I don't use those cubes or any propagator for seeds. Rockwool is too damn finicky to get seeds started and going ime. Clones run just fine in em, but seeds... I've lost way too many to damping off or simply rotting to consider RW a viable germination media at this point. That being said, those cubes look way too wet.

What EC solution are you spraying at them? What pH?

Even with clones, when I get them loaded into their starting cubes, I start the cube saturated and let it be for at least a weak in 99% humidity. That RH isn't ideal for seedlings, but the cubes should stay moist enough to sustain life for at least a few days at normal propagation RH. I even started some lettuce in RW cubes just as a proof of concept for a side project I'm working on and they germinated just fine using the same exact method I use for cloning.

The lesson being so long the cubes never dry back to bone dry, and you get approximately 30% dryback (30% less wet than when you last watered) then you should be in alright shape to avoid damping off.

HippiHemuli

HippiHemuli

I use candybox with like 1-2cm water at bottom and i let them drink empty and wait about 1-2 day and then add again 1-2cm water. I kept seedling alive under 5w led like this mostly 1-3 weeks till they go nft tanks when tent is empty. If they need be more than 2 weeks in candybox i need add tiny bit of nutes and then repeat with only water again if needed. Try turn pump off like day and see what happens. šŸ™‚

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

My first few comments on this thread show how I do it with rockwool. You can oversaturate it, and if your running it in an aero system, your not actually running aero until the roots bust out the bottom. So until then, your going to have to focus on saturation level of the cubes. Dont under saturate or over saturate them. In my post there you can see how wet you want them. Basically you top feed them and let them drain out and yea you cant overwater them. But if you set them in a bowl and started filling it with water, they will become over saturated since they cant drain out excess. You can actually do a constant runoff on them just fine, just as long as it can drain. Atm, you cubes look dry.

HippiHemuli

HippiHemuli

My first few comments on this thread show how I do it with rockwool. You can oversaturate it, and if your running it in an aero system, your not actually running aero until the roots bust out the bottom. So until then, your going to have to focus on saturation level of the cubes. Dont under saturate or over saturate them. In my post there you can see how wet you want them. Basically you top feed them and let them drain out and yea you cant overwater them. But if you set them in a bowl and started filling it with water, they will become over saturated since they cant drain out excess. You can actually do a constant runoff on them just fine, just as long as it can drain. Atm, you cubes look dry.
Good info here! But imo cubes dont look dry at all when there is that much wet spots at top, if they are dry i think cubes would soak those wet spots? šŸ™‚

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Good info here! But imo cubes dont look dry at all when there is that much wet spots at top, if they are dry i think cubes would soak those wet spots? šŸ™‚
I zoomed in a bit and ur correct. I think they are doing fine. And now they look too wet. Just ignore me for now. . perhaps a video of it? Or lots more pics

HippiHemuli

HippiHemuli

I zoomed in a bit and ur correct. I think they are doing fine. And now they look too wet. Just ignore me for now. . perhaps a video of it? Or lots more pics
I think 1-2 days pump off should be good choice to try. Like you said they can be 247 in water when its going through but i think there is too wet to young roots atm. Never had aero cloner so i cant give best help. šŸ™‚

H

Hgrow4

I don't use those cubes or any propagator for seeds. Rockwool is too damn finicky to get seeds started and going ime. Clones run just fine in em, but seeds... I've lost way too many to damping off or simply rotting to consider RW a viable germination media at this point. That being said, those cubes look way too wet.

What EC solution are you spraying at them? What pH?

Even with clones, when I get them loaded into their starting cubes, I start the cube saturated and let it be for at least a weak in 99% humidity. That RH isn't ideal for seedlings, but the cubes should stay moist enough to sustain life for at least a few days at normal propagation RH. I even started some lettuce in RW cubes just as a proof of concept for a side project I'm working on and they germinated just fine using the same exact method I use for cloning.

The lesson being so long the cubes never dry back to bone dry, and you get approximately 30% dryback (30% less wet than when you last watered) then you should be in alright shape to avoid damping off.
Thanks šŸ‘šŸ¼ I think the main issue is this aero X-stream propogator was spraying water at the underside 24/7 which may have caused damping.

H

Hgrow4

I'm the aero system there is water spraying at the underside of the cubes 24/7 so they are never dry and still can breathe.
Main issue was when I took the dome off

mrcrispy13

mrcrispy13

I've had mixed results with rockwool for seeds. Maybe you already know this but new rockwool needs to be pre-soaked in something very acidic like lemon juice. The mineral fiber manufacturing process causes it to have high PH when fresh from the package. I try and use old recycled chunks of rockwool for seeds or small cuttings to make it easier. That said, once my seeds are up and have a decent root system I love the stability that a rockwool cube gives seedlings till they get bigger and I can watch roots peek out the sides and really know when to move them to soil or another substrate. As long as the cubes are 2/3 out of water I have not had dampoff problems using a flood/drain setup or even just paper cups.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I'm not a big fan of aero cloning but moreso because I'm a dumbass and can't seem to consistently get them to pop without the roots turning to mush so not an indictment of aerocloning as much as me not being able to get it work for me. I have friends that swear by them.

OP....turn down the amount of water your spraying. Your drowning whatever roots have developed or the seed is deteriorating.

Most aerocloners like to use the reusable plugs that don't absorb as much water as rockwool does. In my dumbass opinion I would not use an aerocloner to pop seeds. Aerocloners are good for clones. Again, just my dumbass opinion.

For seed I would do the paper towel method or straight to dirt unless you're using a different media where you need a rooted clone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom