How to hang 8 lights on one "light pole" ?

• Thread starter UCtestn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

UCtestn

I plan on hanging 8 cool tubes in a row soon. Those 8 lights will span 28 ft.

I need all 8 lights to hang from a single bar, tube or wood. I'm not a construction guy, so I'm looking for help on ideas or places I can buy a 28' span that I can tie the lights to without breaking it or getting terrible warping in the center.

Any ideas?

I need this, but for 8 lights across 28 ft. They all need to be on a single bar.
(Sorry I don't remember where I got this picture, but it was in the UC section of the farm)

How to hang 8 lights on one light pole

Papa

Papa

Supporter
metal supply houses will stock tubing and pipe at 20' lengths. if you plan well you can find some sizes slide well into larger sizes. this may give you the 4' extension on either end. that may be the quick, down, and dirty solution.

Papa

convex

convex

Three 8 foot sections of 1 inch or larger black iron pipe.

U

Underground

Unistrut would work great for that. I would use 1 5/8 and put them back to back and stagger the joints. Should give you a really strong backbone. Strut is so versitile too. Papa's idea is good too. If you put them on some kind of pipe you could weld them together and turn the pipe to raise or lower them.

convex

convex

Threaded black iron with escutcheon plates to fasten to ceiling, no welding necessary, would have to add a union on each hanger between pipe/rail and plate.

Hanger

2DogWalker

I worked at the greenhouses at a Major Public Agri University We had huge runs of lights ( 12 - 400w w/ Attached Ballast) hung on unistrut runs just as Convex Explained, Supported at like 8' O.C. from what I can remember with clips and threaded rod that hung off the steel portions of the greenhouse structure.... Unistrut is some awesome stuff....lots of gadgets made to make using it easy - Electrical Wholesales/Distributors would have lots of answers....

2Dog

Good Luck

C

Casper

I plan on hanging 8 cool tubes in a row soon. Those 8 lights will span 28 ft.

I need all 8 lights to hang from a single bar, tube or wood. I'm not a construction guy, so I'm looking for help on ideas or places I can buy a 28' span that I can tie the lights to without breaking it or getting terrible warping in the center.

Any ideas?

I need this, but for 8 lights across 28 ft. They all need to be on a single bar.
(Sorry I don't remember where I got this picture, but it was in the UC section of the farm)

View attachment 138729

Looks like they used Rigid Conduit in this picture. You should be able to use 3 sticks of Rigid Conduit, they come in 10'0" lenghts and they have connectors. However you install them you would only need 4 cables/aircraft cable to do it. A cable on each end and at the connector should do it.

U

UCtestn

So I spend some time checking out my options at the big box supply stores. Seems Unistrut is gonna be pricey and I still can't find a place I can go look at it.

I did find black gas piping at lowes that seems perfect. 10' sections with threaded unions. Two support rings at either union should probably do the trick. I'm going to try that with one run and see how it goes. I will eventually update this thread with pics.

Thanks fellow farmers!

convex

convex

If the big box has a tool rental, you may be able to convince them to cut and thread the sections down to 8 ft for you. Assuming you need 24 and not 30 feet.

Cheers

U

Underground

If you are going to go the black iron route, I'd make sure it's at least 1.25-1.5" minimum. We can bend 1.25" pipe with a foot bender. It's actually very easy to bend. And you should get the galvy stuff thats made for electrical since it's obviously going to be in a humid environment.

Unistrut is def the best, but again get it either painted or coated. It's also very versitile, easy to install and reuseable if you decide to reconfigure.

What are your plans for it? Are you going to raise and lower, or do you want them all in a line for venting? Are they going to support the weight of the ballast or will they be remotely located?

U

UCtestn

If you are going to go the black iron route, I'd make sure it's at least 1.25-1.5" minimum. We can bend 1.25" pipe with a foot bender. It's actually very easy to bend. And you should get the galvy stuff thats made for electrical since it's obviously going to be in a humid environment.

Unistrut is def the best, but again get it either painted or coated. It's also very versitile, easy to install and reuseable if you decide to reconfigure.

What are your plans for it? Are you going to raise and lower, or do you want them all in a line for venting? Are they going to support the weight of the ballast or will they be remotely located?

The ballast will be remotely located. The whole 28' span will raise and lower like the pic I showed in the first post. The Ballast will be remote.

U

UCtestn

If the big box has a tool rental, you may be able to convince them to cut and thread the sections down to 8 ft for you. Assuming you need 24 and not 30 feet.

Cheers

K. I'll keep that in mind. I think I saw 8' section, so I was thinking two 10' and one 8' for my 28' span.

convex

convex

LOL - somehow I had it stuck in my mind you were looking at 24 feet - oops ;)

HG23

HG23

Hey UC,

What did you end up doing with this and how did it work out?

Latest posts

Top Bottom