How to heat the tent at night?

• Thread starter CF89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CF89

CF89

I flipped to flower and it gets chilly at night during lights off. The tent is getting down to 60f at night. What’s the best/safest way to maintain some heat during the night?

I’m almost considering having lights off during the day and lights on at night... makes it hard to check on them though when the hours are 9-9

BigCube

BigCube

I flipped to flower and it gets chilly at night during lights off. The tent is getting down to 60f at night. What’s the best/safest way to maintain some heat during the night?

I’m almost considering having lights off during the day and lights on at night... makes it hard to check on them though when the hours are 9-9

Inkbird thermostat and an oil type heater (not a heater with a fan, a radiant heater).

The inkbird allows you to set the parameters, the oil filled heater heats the space radiantly. It will not dry out your plants, or blow hot air on them.

Good luck!

CF89

CF89

I was looking into that. That’s a nice setup but there isn’t much room left in my tent at all for that big heater.

Was kinda hoping to heat the intake air being blown in from the outside. An in-line air heater would be nice but doesn’t Seem to exist. I know my 5.9L Cummins has a grid heater that heats up the intake air. Hmmmm 🤔

BigCube

BigCube

I was looking into that. That’s a nice setup but there isn’t much room left in my tent at all for that big heater.

Was kinda hoping to heat the intake air being blown in from the outside. An in-line air heater would be nice but doesn’t Seem to exist. I know my 5.9L Cummins has a grid heater that heats up the intake air. Hmmmm 🤔

Haha. If your tent is indoors, you can just heat the room the tent is in. Maybe a small ceramic forced air heater in front of the intake? You can also get smaller heaters, I was just posting links for example.

CF89

CF89

Yeah the tent is indoors but it’s in an open basement which is huge. I think a little heater right in front of my intake fan hopefully does the trick. Just scared of fires and melted shit everywhere while I’m gone.

growsince79

growsince79

I keep the exhaust fan on which pulls warm air in.
I run the light at night to keep temperature low. Problem I have now is hardly any difference between day and night temp. In another month I'll be in the happy place.

BigCube

BigCube

Yeah the tent is indoors but it’s in an open basement which is huge. I think a little heater right in front of my intake fan hopefully does the trick. Just scared of fires and melted shit everywhere while I’m gone.

Yeah I hear you. If you can, go with the oil filled type. They dont start fires or melt shit.

Another option is to build a small heater box. Using an oil filled heater and that inkbird controller.

Build a 2x2 or 3x3 or even just buy another tent. Put the heater and the thermostat sensor in it, and intake from that. That way you're only heating a small area, not a large one.

Rooke

Rooke

Heya farmer I’ve used the oil filled radiant heaters for years at work and in my grow room they are very safe and reliable an excellent choice for grow rooms good luck. If your tent doesn’t have space for it put it outside your tent. If the room is to open to heat properly tack heavy poly it about 6 ft all around your tent ceiling to floor and that will help keep things toasty at night. Best of luck with your grow!!

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I’ve used these in the past with good luck. Also using an inkbird controller to turn it on and off when needed. There’s two modes (low/high) and it draws 200w max. It’s good for smaller spaces. It heats up a 5x5 tent just fine.

BigCube

BigCube

I’ve used these in the past with good luck. Also using an inkbird controller to turn it on and off when needed. There’s two modes (low/high) and it draws 200w max. It’s good for smaller spaces. It heats up a 5x5 tent just fine.

That's a nice little radiant 👍 I would trust that in a tent for sure. ETL certified zero clearance. Better than any light I've used 🤣

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
That's a nice little radiant 👍 I would trust that in a tent for sure. ETL certified zero clearance. Better than any light I've used 🤣

That’s why I bought it. If it’s safe enough for small animals I figure it’s safe enough for a grow tent.

R

redshift75

my tent has been hitting 40 degrees some nights. Still just fine. These ones were taken a few days ago and are all about to be bread. Neither tent have air exchange. I wouldnt worry about it. I mean its something to watch, maintain and control. 60 degrees at night. Thats warmer then my entire grows average temp.

I actually just did this. But its not really for the average person to start ducting heaters indoors without understanding. So i dont want to be that guy but is a reason they dont exist for the most part. Because its a risk of fire and injury.

But lets just say a hypothetical how would i want to build a simple and cheap forced air heater for grow tents. I take a 55 gallon drum put on my fittings 1 in 1 out. I then put a 2 cinder blocks in the bottom of the 55 gallon drum. I then add my cheap propane heater i found for $5 at a rummage sale. Buy a 25ft propane tank to 1lb propane tank hose and run it from inside the drum to outside I now attach a heat rated vent duct. to my blower fan. It now sucks the radiant air from my drum. Or i can bypass all of that find a vented/ventless standing propane fireplace that has the 4" feeder duct you can attach to a blower. Go 6 ft of metal duct, Then attach to heat rated duct and blower.

Now you have CO2 as well as heat.

But seriously to the point the goal of any heating unit is essentially something producing heat in a box with air forced through or around said box. Lots of ways to achieve it. The best thing for a tent though will always be heating the space around it vs it. Or you will create a temperature differential that will ultimately throw your humidity out of whack. which you wont be able to compensate with air exchange simply because that will increase the effect. Since the amount of moisture in the air is related to temp. Warm air holds more water, when cooled fast enough it condensates. So heating the tent itself in the face of a cold space can create more problems vs heating the space itself.

I cant remember who used the term "lung room" but its very fitting. its easier to balance all of your atmosphere variables in a lung room than in the room itself when we are discussing small spaces within larger spaces. Smaller spaces = for more drastic effects.

really my belief is if i can keep it above 42F at night. Im fine. Cause it will go back to high 60s low 70s during the day. But because of that effect im going to need to run roughly 3 dehumidifiers to compensate. or the tents start to hit 90+ RH shortly after lights on.

So to all the principles and effects at play is more to the scenario to equate than just heat itself in the space. But considering how stable the space you are in overall. Probably wont be much of an issue as say someone in an unstable space. Like a shed or unheated garage. Where more fluctuation to those variables is at play, leading to more drastic effects.

Whenever discussing heating options always be aware of the dangers and risks involved. Personal heaters are a leading cause of fires like 40%+. So is real dangers or risks involved. All caution should be considered and largely each individual has to asses the personal risks to making these decisions. Im of the mindset the last thing you will ever need is a heater. Every other option should be exhausted. Just my tid bit.

IMG 20200919 195927
IMG 20200919 195940
R

redshift75

Side note. Im actually going to do a passive heating system using one of my 4x8 tents that gets the hottest as my veg tent. i will then run that 18 hours as a bridge between night/day. so that one tent at night will hopefully create enough to passively exhaust air back into 4 other tents. which will close the loop back into the veg tent. with about a 60/40 recycled air vs FAE.

so all my tents except 1 run from 8am to 8pm i will do something like 4pm to 10am for the veg. Not something everyone can do. My ducting system is probably the most overkill at the hobbyist mylar tent level ever imagined. But even at the most basic for this to work as an option would require two tents. Depending on the exterior space. I imagine in the coldest of winters i could keep the tents going at like 50 degrees between passive heat sources. Not ideal but has the potential to save me $1000+ on electricity + propane consumption. Which at the end of the day ROI is the greatest factor for me. Not having the product exceed the value i have for it.

I had considered using 4x8 sheets of insulation and just wrapping my tents up in paneling on all sides but the door. But then i was like "WTF did i buy the tents for if im going to build grow spaces like that.... " So in hindsight id have probably ditched the tents and just renovated the whole house into grow rooms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom