how to increase female ratio?

• Thread starter catdaddy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
catdaddy

catdaddy

im in the middle of my first grow, prepping for my next one, and wanted to know how to increase my female to male ratio. i vegged in 16oz cups for 3-4 weeks under a t5 with a 24hr light cycle and ended with 4 females out of 10 seeds and 2 of them were fems.
should i decrease the 24hr cycle to 18/6?
how soon should i transplant out of 160z cups before root bound sets in keep the little ones from being stressed?

all input is accepted so feel free to leave any advise. thanks in advance.

symbiote420

symbiote420

I'm getting 50/50 or better females under 24hr light regime but the more I've grown with the plant I realize they do need a rest period, especially if growing organically! Peace.

oldirtybastard

oldirtybastard

Ive read that if you keep your beans in a bag with Banana peels that they turn feminized so to speak... Ive tried this a couple times but i didnt do it correctly.. They ended up sprouting in 5 days. They still ended up ALL being Females (or what survived sprouting outdoors)...

Im going to try this again on my next seed run in a couple weeks.. Ill keep everyone posted on the results. ~ODB

P

paperplane

I also read that blue spectrum lighting will help produce more females. And red/orange spectrum will help produce more males.

I

Indicas4me

Give them more Nitrogen/nutes,if they lack that you will get more males IMO.And I also think giving them root space (not bound) when sexing helps as well.

I

Indicas4me

You will see more growth from 18/6 hour days,and more healthy/faster plants IMO.But I run 24/0 only cause I diont run a timer during veg.Some may claim its more stretch than growth during lights out,but everyone's got an opinion.

Me if I got serious into growing it would be 18/6 all the way "after" the initial germination stretch stops that is.I start my seeds in small trays and move them to cups for sexing,which is a about a week after transplanting into the cups.Thats about enough time to get the roots expanding/growing before 12/12.As soon as you see a hair put it right back on 24/0 and it will not even show any signs of going into full flower this way.Or go right from the cup into a bigger pot for flowering!

I

Indicas4me

By the way I do this all under flourecent lights,so it makes it simple and takes up no room/time wasting it on usnexed/male plants.

philly kush

philly kush

a friend of mine gave me some advice on this and i had alot of luck.soak seeds in cup of water with liquid karma a day or two then put in soil.feed
seeddling with water/karma mix 18hrs light

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

Dont be misinformed. Plants that go 18/6 dont grow faster, they just stretch more when the lights are off. 24/0 will grow faster bc its constantly photosynthesizing. Although 18/6 is better for root devlopment, its gonna make em stretch in their sleep. Another thing indicas4me said that I have read as well (think it was a Mel Frank book circa 70s?) that higher N levels encourage fems..just dont burn them babies!

P

paulycali

Blue Spectrum = More females

Red Spectrum = More males

Soil Moist but not to wet nor to dry = More females

Soil To Wet = More males

Perfect Temp = More females

Hot Temps = More males

I think as long as you veg them under blue lighting and do not over water them your female to male ratio with be of more females for sure. I seem to get more females than males by somewhat following the above rules. Works for me. Try it out

catdaddy

catdaddy

hey everyone thanks for ur input, all is appreciated.

Blue Spectrum = More females

Red Spectrum = More males

Soil Moist but not to wet nor to dry = More females

Soil To Wet = More males

Perfect Temp = More females

Hot Temps = More males

I think as long as you veg them under blue lighting and do not over water them your female to male ratio with be of more females for sure. I seem to get more females than males by somewhat following the above rules. Works for me. Try it out

hey pauly what lighting schedule are you using?

thanks in advance.

Top Bottom