How to kill springtails in canna coco!

• Thread starter StealthLED
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
StealthLED

StealthLED

I know springtails aren't meant to be harmful but these little f****s are eating my plants roots!

Plants effected with springtails are showing a slight deficiency and they have very little root growth compared to the other plants around them.

I've tried using athena ipm that's done nothing. I've read h2o2 can be used? I have some 12% but wouldn't know what dose to use, any suggestions please? im using athena cleanse so no need to worry about killing of microbes...

How to kill springtails in canna coco
How to kill springtails in canna coco 2
BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
What do you mean “eating your roots?” Your roots looks fine, that’s what happens when they hit the pot, they air prune. Springtails recycle old root matter and I don’t think they harm your plant. You may have a bigger issue if you think something is eating your roots. Have you looked for pests on your plants?

StealthLED

StealthLED

@BurnzYzBudZz theres no roots on the 2nd photo mate lol first photo is the plant that looks great and as no springtails. I've had a magnifying glass on top of the plant no pest and I spray once a week as well as a precaution 👍🏽

StealthLED

StealthLED

Another pic when I moving the coco around looking for any other root pests, hardly any roots, I can't do this to the plants with no springtails because there's too many roots

IMG 20210824 091904
BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
@BurnzYzBudZz theres no roots on the 2nd photo mate lol first photo is the plant that looks great and as no springtails. I've had a magnifying glass on top of the plant no pest and I spray once a week as well as a precaution 👍🏽
That’s weird. Springtails are beneficial for your soil. Pointless to kill them. How’s the plant look? Not sure I can help much other than saying it’s probably not the springtails.

86D4864E 1B12 4172 8249 65F97E36A7DF
BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Another pic when I moving the coco around looking for any other root pests, hardly any roots, I can't do this to the plants with no springtails because there's too many roots
If you really want to check, cut the pot to the bottom. Bet there is roots. Nah don’t cut it. The top usually doesn’t have many roots other than small feeder roots.

StealthLED

StealthLED

Are they beneficial when they have a food source like fungi? My coco is sterile so not sure if this means they can only live on the roots? Plus theres thousands of them 😂

Plants look a little like magnesium deficiency, some leaves look dry and curled up (taco) like they're too hot

My room is sealed co2 at 850ppm filled with quantum boards.

It's week 4 veg.

I follow vpd every run so temps

84-85oF humidity 75%

Feeding 3.2 ec athena pro, substrate ec is fine

IMG 20210820 214906
IMG 20210820 214911
Screenshot 20210824 172113 commetergroupsolus
Screenshot 20210824 173803
StealthLED

StealthLED

Last photo shows the curl, 2 weeks ago I did think too hot so I dropped room temps to about 79-80oF but it made no difference still leaves was curling

StealthLED

StealthLED

This plant is right at the side of the one with curling leaves and as no springtails and is growing lovely

Screenshot 20210824 174102 comhuaweihimovieoverseas
O

Odo24

Have you found a solution to this yet? I litterally popped 2 new bags of canna coco pro recently and all my plants have springtails, never had them before in multiple grows (I am still fairly new tbf) Thinking there's some bad canna about now though.

Edit: also, I have very similar deficiencies in my plants. Magnesium, taco leaf edges. From my searches this all points to an issue with the roots and bugs.
Only thing I have found online is a neem oil drench to reduce numbers. Other than that I can't find any natural predator bugs or anything else that might take care if them.

I definitely overwatered this time when transplanting. So it might just be down to bad techniques and practices led to this happening in my part.

I know peeps say they are sound, but, my ph is fine, ppm in check and never had this particular problem before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom