How to know which spectrum setting for the photone app?

• Thread starter HomegrownOhighO
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HomegrownOhighO

I just popped some new beans and they were doing good. The seedlings started to get too big for the seed starter from Vivosun. I moved them to the big tent and a few of them started needling. I turned the intensity up on the light but it did not seem to help much. Today, I decided to lower the light to 24"@ 30%, it was closer to 36"@ 35%. I have the 200w Vivosun with the built in fan on the seedling setting. With the current setup the photone app is at 230 ppfd and 20 DLI on the full spectrum setting. If I change it to the red/blue setting in the photone app it is closer to 400 ppfd and 40 DLI, which is entirely too much for seedlings. How do I know which setting I should use based on my light? On the Vivosun website it doesn't specify if it's full spectrum, it just says it's a tuneable spectrum light. Logic says this will change depending on the growth phase the light is set to. Currently, set to the seedling phase, the blue and red light are predominant, so is that what setting I should use while trying to dial in everything on the photone app?

How to know which spectrum setting for the photone app
How to know which spectrum setting for the photone app 2
Newty

Newty

Use the full spectrum setting.
You won't get 100% accuracy, use it more as a reference tool and remember the values you recorded when your plants are doing well and then you can use that for future grows as a baseline.

Don't use manufacturers recommendations for the light settings.

As long as your not seeing lights stress and high temps, keep the light high and the dimmer low. I've had lights as low as 20% at 30" high.
Keep them at the 24" and 30% you said they are at, if you see any negative effects then you know to move the light up.

Be careful with how hard you have any fans blowing at your plants, especially young plants, including your light with the built in fan.

Latest posts

Top Bottom