How to make an easy 50 gallon reservior for $18

• Thread starter squarepusher
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
squarepusher

squarepusher

Here how it goes. Goto Walmart or Home Depot, and get one of the Rubbermaid Roughneck totes that holds 50 gallons.

Drill 2 1/8 " holes on the top middle area of the tote (one on each side, on the long end)Now, take a coat hanger, bend out the metal, and make a type of frame to prevent it from stretching out here. There you go, these totes become weak at the center area from stretching, but if you add a metal coat hanger to prevent it, it will hold sturdy.

boom

How to make an easy 50 gallon reservior for 18

C

CAPO

"These trolls can't win commisioner! The city of Gothem relies on our ability to beat them at their own game! To the batmobile..hurry!!"

:ridinghorse:

C

CAPO

That was good belly laugh..............but seriously................what kind a system is that rez for?

P

PureSugar

That was good belly laugh..............but seriously................what kind a system is that rez for?

With the right pump it could think of a bunch of uses. Its hieght probably would make it my choice foran ebb a flow system... but who's running those now a days? lol I still handwater... wish I never bought the Botainicare 100 reserviors they were ridiculously priced and I prefer to mix small batches and keep things fresh. Not to mention they are a pain in the ass to get from shop to grow. Rubbermaid just looks like you're storing stuff.

G

Green Cali

metal hanger

Would it be bad if the hanger gets rusty. just wondering because its a good idea I have seen how those containers bow after filled.

squarepusher

squarepusher

im not sure if rust would be bad or not?

btw, I wanted to comment, after a few months of using this, I somehow got a hairline cracks somewhere, and its leaking a few drops a minute. Very small, but it looks like I need to refine my support technique as this one is slightly prone to breakdown after several months.

B

bowlpacks

Hmmmm. IMO the small cost of a res made for what we're doin' is well worth it. On the other hand, from what I've seen the standard method or supporting the walls of a rubbermaid res is a wooden frame around the outside of the top using 2x4's.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Is there any reason not to use a large trash can? I used to use those to mix up saltwater.

Sherwood

Sherwood

The Super Box from Lowes is way sturdy, holds 27 gallons, no flex, but it's half the size.

squarepusher

squarepusher

The Super Box from Lowes is way sturdy, holds 27 gallons, no flex, but it's half the size.

thanks, this may be a good options. I inspected my unit that leaked today, and it appears to have a stress crack right near one of the 4 "legs" (short little 1/2 inch leg things on each corner). Apparently the weight of 30 gallons of water was just too much, I may try the Lowes Super Box you mention.

L

Lost

I always thought the plastic kiddie pools would make a great res...

F

Foxfarmfreak

I like the 20 gallon round tub/totes with rope handles ($7 at Smart & Final), like the kind you throw beer and ice in at the bbq party. I also mix all my soil in them.... you can see it here in the lower corner too bad it's black... also flood the table every week or so.
Peace FFF:harvest:
aprilgarden05.jpg

K

KING_KONG_KOLAS

55 gallon plastic drum... FREE
I get them from my local car wash..
All ther soap and wheel cleaner come in them..
When they empty they just throw away..
Been using them for years.. no bow or crackin here..
last a long ass time.. they make great dog houses too. lol

Top Bottom