How to make feminized seeds?

• Thread starter CF89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CF89

CF89

So I ordered a pack of seeds. Some pricey stuff. $35-40 per seed. I only want to keep 1-2 seeds and trade/sell the rest of this $350 ten pack .

If I grow 1 plant. Then cut a clone off of it. The pollinate the second plant/clone with colloidal silver. Is there anything wrong with that? Can I produce a few seeds for myself for later on?

R

redshift75

yeah you can do that no problem. You want to do 2 clones though. you will put 1 into flower to be your male and then run the 2nd plant about 3 weeks after it into flower. Thats assuming you know the Male is becoming a Male. I bought (**edit was not 50ppm but 40ppm) 40ppm cs in a bottle for like $15 for a liter from a health store. That was enough to convert 4 males over from females. I try to make my own CS but if you cant you can find really good pure C.S. at health stores. I also ended up using STS that i make myself. silver nitrate and sodium thiosulfate. mix that dilute goes a super long way. I mean $35 in ingredients is more than 1 person will need. I prefer sts and C.S. and do not like to use GA3 I use STS when i know the C.S. is working and see it becoming a male. so i do not chemical burn the plant. You want to start C.S. a few days before flip.

sts is good cause its 1 spray 1 day every several days. C.S. is several times daily. continued on into it being male. Best to do before lights out so it sits and in the morning at lights on. Its not that hard to do. But you really want to ensure it goes to a male and you get lots of that nice pollen.

now you dont have to pollenate a whole plant. but i tend to. Then you will have lots of seeds. By technical standpoints it wont be the same. but will still be the same genetic pool. You would essentially want to get as many seeds as you can to the original lineage as possible vs getting more seeds from those seeds, etc. In theory.

But to a basic standpoint that is how you would go about keeping fem seeds in your genetic pool. You can even take 1 plant and pollenate it with several pollens do each cola. I dont like doing that because i never believe it ends up being truly what you think it does. Is always a chance it ends up something else or a different pollen touched it first. So im personally not a fan of multi pollen more then say 2 per plant if one must really attempt it. But ive seen people do 10+ on a single plant for seeds.

The only real downside is if you try to pass them off as their(breeders) genetics or as (pure genetics). This is the downside most people discuss. then you get muddled genetics passed off as something they are not. So short of the integrity stuff. thats only downside i see.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

redshift75

I guess i also forgot you dont even have to reverse a whole plant. You can also reverse a cola. Although you shouldnt smoke anything that had contact with C.S. so again not something i do. But I know growers who male 1 branch for pollen. But then you are talking pollenating your flowering plants. So another option. But not something im down with personally.

R

redshift75

It’s Mac and jelly from in house. I only want 1 or 2 plants for now, but would like the option to grow it again in the future. For free
so id say make 3 clones assuming 1 wont make it or "take off" Then when you start your male and its good you will know between the two and can easily pollenate whichever you think will be the better one to flower and pollenate. people will say seeded bud cant be potent or sucks. but i disagree whole heartedly. You will often get some good smoke with the benefit of a good amount of seeds. All my pollen tent stuff what i dont smoke will be some sweet edibles. Tip to it though is really wait for the plant to mature. Those seeds you will think... "oh its done" from the smoke sense... and then swell happens and you see the seeds start to poke heads. Then you know you are getting close to done. if i dont start seeing seeds poke out the colas developed. I give it time. More seeds. More development to ensure some really nice mature seeds. I found all the strains im seeding right now. Its taken longer to develop in flower for the seeds than if it were going to be straight smoke. Im thinking will be an added 14-20 days by time im done. Maybe not needed 100% but right now i still see seeds developing where it should be done in a week and i 100% know its not a week away.

That is pretty much exactly how people keep growing for free. Some people might keep a random male and not do reversed pollen. but thats dealers choice. as long as its not herm pollen. anything you do will achieve your goal of free seeds.

edit: i should note a good tip i've overlooked. The size of the male doesnt matter. Just get it rooted and transplanted few days in veg so you know its good. Then you can go male on it. You dont have to spend much time just make sure you have a handful or better of node sites. Maybe a week veg max... Right around the size you'd start to train a plant. since the goal is just pollen. doesnt take much pollen to do a small plant. So dont need to invest much time in its growth.

CF89

CF89

Awesome. Good to know!

I’m going to take it one step at a time. I need to get them growing and then figure out and get the supplies needed for clones and then take it from there.

what’s with the males? I thought I can just grow one plant, cut a clone. Grow that clone, throw clone in a separate tent, spray with C.S. and boom. Here come my seeds??

Even 10 seeds is lots. Just for future possible grows if I like it. I only do 4 plants at once

growsince79

growsince79

My seeds take 5-6 weeks to mature. You should be able to see them starting 4-5 days after pollenating. Imo it won't lengthen flowering time if done early. If you wait until week 5 to pollenate, you have to wait until week 10-11 to harvest even if it's normally 8 week strain.

CF89

CF89

I have two tents. Was going to use one for veg and one for flowering. I’ve got a ton of extra lights too. I can set up a 3rd shitty area with a basic light for any thing else I may need. Doesn’t gotta be fancy if I’m just growing one make or clone or whatever off to the side for some seeds.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
I have two tents. Was going to use one for veg and one for flowering. I’ve got a ton of extra lights too. I can set up a 3rd shitty area with a basic light for any thing else I may need. Doesn’t gotta be fancy if I’m just growing one make or clone or whatever off to the side for some seeds.
Im doing something really similar with my set up now too. Just added a small 3rd tent explicitly for messing around with stuff like this lol Hopefully we can bounce ideas around and help each other out...👍🌱

linde

linde

So I ordered a pack of seeds. Some pricey stuff. $35-40 per seed. I only want to keep 1-2 seeds and trade/sell the rest of this $350 ten pack .

If I grow 1 plant. Then cut a clone off of it. The pollinate the second plant/clone with colloidal silver. Is there anything wrong with that? Can I produce a few seeds for myself for later on?
yes you could do that but understand that all seeds are different and getting the best pheno out of the 10 pack isn't going to happen with the first 2 seeds. you'll be trading the best seeds for someone else's garbage seeds. that's a lot of money for seeds. Don't do it. Grow out all 10 plants then pick the best pheno to reveg and make a mother plant with. Than trade your clones for other clones and do your pollinating and stuff at that point.....that way you have the very best genetics out of your $350 investment.

growsince79

growsince79

yes you could do that but understand that all seeds are different and getting the best pheno out of the 10 pack isn't going to happen with the first 2 seeds. you'll be trading the best seeds for someone else's garbage seeds. that's a lot of money for seeds. Don't do it. Grow out all 10 plants then pick the best pheno to reveg and make a mother plant with. Than trade your clones for other clones and do your pollinating and stuff at that point.....that way you have the very best genetics out of your $350 investment.
For 350 every seed should be a keeper. But there is always one thats the best.

CF89

CF89

In the 10 pack. What would the difference be between the best and the worst plant. 2-5% maybe in yield, looks, and potency?

I’m still not sure what route I’m going to take. I got a month or two to decide. Seeds show up this week.

I’d like to keep 2 seeds and sell the rest, then with those 2 seeds get me some bud, and more seeds just in case I like it. Ya know.

I’d really like to grow a few diff kinds but $300 per 10 pack it makes it hard.

linde

linde

In the 10 pack. What would the difference be between the best and the worst plant. 2-5% maybe in yield, looks, and potency?

I’m still not sure what route I’m going to take. I got a month or two to decide. Seeds show up this week.

I’d like to keep 2 seeds and sell the rest, then with those 2 seeds get me some bud, and more seeds just in case I like it. Ya know.

They can and might be completely different, unless you have IBL strains. Even then they will still vary some. More than likely youll have variations of both parents and sometimes hidden genetics might pop out of nowhere. I consider myself lucky when i get 1 good keeper out of a 10 pack. There is always that one "gem" plant that just smells and tastes better than the rest. don't chance it. bud them all out to find the one you like best. plus by doing this you will have good quality clones to barter with rather than seeds. good luck!

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter

Never know until you grow them out...? But that's from a guy who probably wouldn't pay $300 for seeds so idk...Im gonna try some crosses with my $85 seeds and hope for the best 🤞haha I agree with what was said above, If dropped that much coin on some beans I would be reluctant to trade for some unknown quality...just my .02

CF89

CF89

I’m not going to trade. And I don’t want 10 plants of the same type. I’d like to basically sell the remaining 8, make my 2 free. And then buy another pack and carry on. All while turning my 2 free seeds into more

growsince79

growsince79

LOL good way to make enemies if they turn out bad. You might want to grow 2 to finish and then decide if you want to sell the rest.

CF89

CF89

I trust the seeds are legit... theyre from in houses only verified Canadian vendor and in house has a solid reputation.

that was the second option... grow a seed or two and sit on these seeds for 4 months until I grow a seed myself.

The last pic is the one I got. The Mac and jelly. Not the greatest pics of it though. But they’re all consistent and amazing so I think mine will be fine.

EA5B38DA 0B11 42E8 B159 DC7605F39C2A
A207D956 EA07 4E4E A6C4 764CB959F64E
D59287F6 4582 4D64 8477 777C50C4A9D4
9E54465C 8575 4982 B6AF 0B849CB0DEB3
F5AB8285 A89D 4E5D B29F DFABABCBEF2D
B11A78A0 2387 4F8A 9397 B82B5554869C
2A7AA333 4648 42A9 812B 9804B4A8AE78
0AACB8D0 BE54 4901 B4DD E0FF896EC4E7
378725F5 0DDD 47F3 AC74 90E4125656B2
Cracken

Cracken

They can and might be completely different, unless you have IBL strains. Even then they will still vary some. More than likely youll have variations of both parents and sometimes hidden genetics might pop out of nowhere. I consider myself lucky when i get 1 good keeper out of a 10 pack. There is always that one "gem" plant that just smells and tastes better than the rest. don't chance it. bud them all out to find the one you like best. plus by doing this you will have good quality clones to barter with rather than seeds. good luck!
all very sound advice but since he is not setup for clones I don't think his knowledge is as advanced as his ideas. ALways have everything prepped, cleaned and a proper location set up before doing clones. the idea of breeding and creating your own and cloning is not as simple as changing a tire. Many little things to consider and also messing with pollen can cause issues for a while if it gets spread around like herpes at an orgy. do lots of reading and follow advice of others who have lots of experience. good luck.

CF89

CF89

I was thinking that too. this is a huge step for me. ive got a few local guys who know clones and stuff better than me so maybe ill let them create a ton of clones and then practice with those instead.

or just 1 mother seed and cut 4-6 clones off that and dont worry about the pollination and stuff? do I need males? cant I just spray CS in a bag or the entire plant and let that do its thing?

Top Bottom