how to make qwiso/rso oil

• Thread starter GNick55
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moshmen

Moshmen

Another question - can I use the same liquid to wash 2/3 batches? Meaning wash put the filtered liquid back in the freezer for say a month then wash another batch of bud with it?

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Gallon on 190 everclear runs me about 40 us so it is a little more
My guess would be a gallon here would be over $100.
I see prices listed close by for $38.99 per 1.75L, when I put it in cart; Estimated Total: $53.58
BRAND Everclear 95%

Whereas I can get 99% Iso at a gallon, TOTAL (Estimate)$17.95
Prices for liquor are just inexpensive in some states, and much higher in others.

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Another question - can I use the same liquid to wash 2/3 batches? Meaning wash put the filtered liquid back in the freezer for say a month then wash another batch of bud with it?
Yes, you can. Technically, you can keep running it though until the alcohol can't hold anymore oil, and I think that would take pounds and pound of cannabis with a gallon of alcohol. Probably 5-10 lbs, or more, would be my guess.

A 3:1 ratio has been suggested. A gallon of ETOH weighs about 7 lbs, so approximately 20 pounds of (pure) concentrate should technically be around the saturation point. If I've got my numbers correct.

If I was a drinking man, I wouldn't be evaporating the ETOH off either, I would be drinking everything. 🤪

Last edited:
Moshmen

Moshmen

Yes, you can. Technically, you can keep running it though until the alcohol can't hold anymore oil, and I think that would take pounds and pound of cannabis with a gallon of alcohol. Probably 5-10 lbs, or more, would be my guess.

A 3:1 ratio has been suggested. A gallon of ETOH weighs about 7 lbs, so approximately 20 pounds of (pure) concentrate should technically be around the saturation point. If I've got my numbers correct.

If I was a drinking man, I wouldn't be evaporating the ETOH off either, I would be drinking everything. 🤪
Lb? Hell I’m lucky to do it by the ounce ! That’s why I asked - I’d like to run a 1/4 lb thru about a quart of alcohol

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
yes but why bother?
have you filtered it already?

Smokey0418

Smokey0418

I guess the only thing would be long term effect of tricomes on the solution your using.
I know you could wash one through the other and so on, but your putting your wash back in hoping that it will all come out with the next which I’m sure is close but it’s definitely leaving something behind.
Hence washing more than once.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Hey @GNick55!

I have been reading the forum posts where you seem to be the local RSO expert and had a question or two if you don't mind.

My wife had read something where it said the longer you leave the oil on the hotplate at the end, the more sedative the oil will be. Can you verify if that is true or not?

Also, I have my oil in a small glass bowl on a coffee warmer pulling the remaining ISO out and it appears all the bubbling is over and done with. However, there is a small amount of "oily" sheen on the surface of the hot oil that looks almost like a bit of petro in a water puddle. Would that be from some remaining ISO still in the oil? Perhaps it's nothing. I want to make sure I get all the ISO out before consuming so I thought I would ask your opinion. Thanks Bro!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Hey @GNick55!

I have been reading the forum posts where you seem to be the local RSO expert and had a question or two if you don't mind.

My wife had read something where it said the longer you leave the oil on the hotplate at the end, the more sedative the oil will be. Can you verify if that is true or not?

Also, I have my oil in a small glass bowl on a coffee warmer pulling the remaining ISO out and it appears all the bubbling is over and done with. However, there is a small amount of "oily" sheen on the surface of the hot oil that looks almost like a bit of petro in a water puddle. Would that be from some remaining ISO still in the oil? Perhaps it's nothing. I want to make sure I get all the ISO out before consuming so I thought I would ask your opinion. Thanks Bro!
might be residue from iso though i highly doubt it.. maybe turn up the coffee warmer for another 5 mins than your.. when i pour it into the finally container/vile i usually leave the lid off just for it to let off more if so..
i’m just about to make some now with fan leaves from recent grow/harvest..
too much for jars so i’ll use a pail..
515B772B E2CF 40E7 B216 B176193420A0

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
leaving on the hot plate longer to make it stronger? no if anything you could burn it..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
making oil from fan leaves of recent grow..
let’s see what i get..

976AD772 C49C 4792 9E4B 2D2F535A4A15
57D260C6 30D1 45F2 9D78 302F77306F82
64D08087 5839 44A5 897C A2EC72766623
9AEFE579 9D76 4889 90F7 D86846294240

from here i’ll let this settle for an hour than i’ll scoop out and filter through cheese cloth in to jars.. clean up in the meantime

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
getting rid of the smell for the garbage

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
i used my scope when i shook it, in about 15 sec the trichs were gone from the green. no sign on them! i have a deep freeze and had the iso and weed in there about 2 days (got busy, not that i meant to). ill try again and make sure, but it was fast! guess that is why they say Quick!

i get rid of the green by sitting it in the sun 30 min. it turns amberish. prettier end product.
20211004 162251

20211004 170022

Last edited:
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Thanks @GNick55 for taking the time to post this great info.

I have a question about making this oil. I have learned to keep the flowers in the freezer and mash them occasionally before the extraction. My question is, and I find a lot of conflicting information, does the flower material need to be decarbed if I am using a table top distiller to reclaim the alcohol? My distiller has a temperature controller and I usually boil the alcohol off at 83 C. From what I understand, @ 83 C (181F) is not hot enough to fully decarb. Additionally, I have read a study where a guy decarbed @ 30 min and @ 60 minutes and got significantly more thca conversion from the 60 min decarb vs the 30 minute decarb. So I also wonder if there is enough time in the process of making the oil to fully decarb the flower?

I have also heard that you can decarb the oil.

I don't want to mess this up because I have a limited amount of flower and am treating myself for cancer with this oil and can't afford any costly mistakes!

Thanks Bro!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter

I have a question about making this oil. I have learned to keep the flowers in the freezer and mash them occasionally before the extraction. My question is, and I find a lot of conflicting information, does the flower material need to be decarbed if I am using a table top distiller to reclaim the alcohol? My distiller has a temperature controller and I usually boil the alcohol off at 83 C. From what I understand, @ 83 C (181F) is not hot enough to fully decarb. Additionally, I have read a study where a guy decarbed @ 30 min and @ 60 minutes and got significantly more thca conversion from the 60 min decarb vs the 30 minute decarb. So I also wonder if there is enough time in the process of making the oil to fully decarb the flower?

I don't want to mess this up because I have a limited amount of flower and am treating myself for cancer with this oil and can't afford any costly mistakes!

Thanks Bro!
i don’t think i can answer that, i use a rice cooker to cook off the isopropyl, so a rice cooker basically just boils water so the temp is around 100 degrees, i don’t decarb and i’ve eaten some oil before and got blasted so it decarbs.. so you may want to decarb just to know your good there, 30 or 60 mins? longer would seems like it makes sense but i don’t know..

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Thanks Gnick, appreciate it Bro. I think I will continue to decarb just to be sure.

So as far as sequence of events, should I decarb first, then freeze and crush the flower before extraction, or freeze and crush everything and then decarb, then refreeze prior to extraction? Sorry if these are dumb questions, I am just trying to develop a system that works to get the maximum extraction.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Skunk pharm has good info on this

Thanks Bro!
you may wanna check this out.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i’d decarb, when taking out of oven you’ll be able to break up most of it easily than i’d freeze.
when your ready to go, your ready to start.
if you are planning on taking this orally for medicine than you will want to make more of a rso oil.. which you don’t freeze, and you let it soak a lot longer..

Latest posts

Top Bottom