how to make qwiso/rso oil

• Thread starter GNick55
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

if you are planning on taking this orally for medicine than you will want to make more of a rso oil.. which you don’t freeze, and you let it soak a lot longer..
Yes, I am taking the medicine orally but I am not sure what you mean by making more of a rso oil. Don't freeze? Let it soak longer?

Can you please expand on this comment? I'm a bit confused at this point 🤯

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Yes, I am taking the medicine orally but I am not sure what you mean by making more of a rso oil. Don't freeze? Let it soak longer?

Can you please expand on this comment? I'm a bit confused at this point 🤯
hey it’s probably better to just look up Rick simpson oil..
i’m just a little busy now.
but anything you don’t understand i’ll help out with!..

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
everything ok?

IMG 20211022 174454

TSD

TSD

Thanks Gnick, appreciate it Bro. I think I will continue to decarb just to be sure.

So as far as sequence of events, should I decarb first, then freeze and crush the flower before extraction, or freeze and crush everything and then decarb, then refreeze prior to extraction? Sorry if these are dumb questions, I am just trying to develop a system that works to get the maximum extraction.
I came to this thread to ask the same question as I'm finding conflicting info online. I'll be using everclear. Some say decarb, others don't. Some say freeze, other's don't. Might just end up winging it. I have a magical butter machine and it says you can make tincture in the machine then reduce to rso with the simmer method... so that might be the most fool proof way for me at this point.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
on decarb...

when you are making it, you are evaporating the alcohol off, whether with heat or time. if you use heat (a rice cooker, or a hot plate or stove and double boiler...) while that is happening you will notice it sort of boiling. you will see bigger bubbles forming and popping like boiling water. as it gets rid of the alcohol the viscosity or that thicker consistency will get more and more thick. as that happens the alcohol is being gotten rid of. you can tell when that is done when the bubbles are not big anymore. you will still have bubbles, but the big ones will stop.

at this point, you will get little bubbles. those bubbles are the stuff decarbing. keep heating till those bubbles stop forming.

so... if you cook off the alcohol and dont continue to decarb and you set it close by, you can watch it over the next days and those little bubbles will happen (no heat at all applied, just happens). it will decard on its own.

you can test this. when you make some, put a small amount in something and watch it. if you decarb however you want before the alcohol step, you can watch and note that you will still get some tiny bubbles, because those methods of decarb dont do as full of a job as this

anyway, you are decarbed when the tiny bubbles stop.

grrrr.... and yes, i am old enough that the song tiny bubbles is stuck in my head...

TSD

TSD

on decarb...

when you are making it, you are evaporating the alcohol off, whether with heat or time. if you use heat (a rice cooker, or a hot plate or stove and double boiler...) while that is happening you will notice it sort of boiling. you will see bigger bubbles forming and popping like boiling water. as it gets rid of the alcohol the viscosity or that thicker consistency will get more and more thick. as that happens the alcohol is being gotten rid of. you can tell when that is done when the bubbles are not big anymore. you will still have bubbles, but the big ones will stop.

at this point, you will get little bubbles. those bubbles are the stuff decarbing. keep heating till those bubbles stop forming.

so... if you cook off the alcohol and dont continue to decarb and you set it close by, you can watch it over the next days and those little bubbles will happen (no heat at all applied, just happens). it will decard on its own.

you can test this. when you make some, put a small amount in something and watch it. if you decarb however you want before the alcohol step, you can watch and note that you will still get some tiny bubbles, because those methods of decarb dont do as full of a job as this

anyway, you are decarbed when the tiny bubbles stop.
Thank you... I thought it sounded redundant to decarb something that will be boiling, but I figured maybe the reduction process didn't get hot enough to fully decarb, since I usually do that at 240° and I know the boiling point of alcohol is lower than water. I have enough to do a little trial and (hopefully minimal) error this year. I've been making butter for years, just got the MB machine last year... it's easier but I feel like it isn't as potent as my stove top butter, I usuallyup the time they recommend... time to move on to the more scientific extractions. 😊

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
there is foolproof and there is faster than having a baby!

the foolproof involves time. no heat, so no chance of ruining things. basically you do all the same stuff, but dont apply heat and alcohol goes away on its own. and even that will eventually decarb. but you are seriously looking at 9 months.

this way, the rice cooker or the hotplate or double boiler is not foolproof. lots of potential for disaster. but handled with care and constant supervision makes it very do-able. but note that anytime you introduce heat to alcohol you have a potential for disaster.

as for the cancer treatment, i found this video on making it for meds, you might like it.

TSD

TSD

there is foolproof and there is faster than having a baby!

the foolproof involves time. no heat, so no chance of ruining things. basically you do all the same stuff, but dont apply heat and alcohol goes away on its own. and even that will eventually decarb. but you are seriously looking at 9 months.

this way, the rice cooker or the hotplate or double boiler is not foolproof. lots of potential for disaster. but handled with care and constant supervision makes it very do-able. but note that anytime you introduce heat to alcohol you have a potential for disaster.

as for the cancer treatment, i found this video on making it for meds, you might like it.

I'm pretty handy in the kitchen so I think I can make it work. I think I accidentally made rso last year when I made jar tincture and left the top of the dropper jar loose then forgot about it on a windowsill lol. Thanks for the vid! Hoping to get my pops to try the rso. He's in remission from mouth cancer and a pretty gnarly reconstructive surgery so the poor guy is miserable, can barely eat, surviving off boost. Any relief helps.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
using a decent scope, i have found that (and i only have worked with frozen stuff) it only takes seconds for the alcohol to dissolve the trichs off the green part. after just a few seconds (i tried for one, but that is impossible for my coordination level!)

i still shake for 30 seconds, but it is done and dusted in lots less!

TSD

TSD

using a decent scope, i have found that (and i only have worked with frozen stuff) it only takes seconds for the alcohol to dissolve the trichs off the green part. after just a few seconds (i tried for one, but that is impossible for my coordination level!)

i still shake for 30 seconds, but it is done and dusted in lots less!
That guy in the video was scientific af... you know that's some top quality shit. I wonder how much he has invested in his weed lab. I didn't even know a burner with a magnetic stirrer was a thing!

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
i have one of those, not a fancy one, but i love it!

i want the distiller! lol, but that will have to wait

TSD

TSD

i have one of those, not a fancy one, but i love it!

i want the distiller! lol, but that will have to wait
I just checked Amazon and the distiller is 175 and you can get a base line plate w stirrer for like 70... so not too crazy. Maybe if we decide rso is the way to go, I'll sell some of my bounty and set up my own little lab.
VkjC2x65 400x400

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

I just checked Amazon and the distiller is 175 and you can get a base line plate w stirrer for like 70... so not too crazy. Maybe if we decide rso is the way to go, I'll sell some of my bounty and set up my own little lab.
View attachment 1183130
If your buying a distiller there is one for distilling water and one for oil. Lower wattage and temperature difference. Can't remember? The link i posted above i think the difference was disgusted there. Oil still doesn't burn as hot. No chance to partial decarb because it doesn't get as hot

Here's the nameplate on mine which is for oil.
20211029 110859

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Nice writeup @GNick55.

If I can add a couple tips from my experience, if you use a chest freezer and freeze the product and solvent for 48 hrs, and do the entire soak/strain/filter process IN the freezer, you can get away with a much longer soak, producing a bit better yield of a more refined product. I usually soak the pot for a few mins at least, shaking it around to agitate it before straining it.

The extract comes out a beautiful yellow with no hint of green, and slow air dried produces a product similar to blonde hash, with a fish scale appearance to it. I've had it test over 90% pure cannabinoid on several occasions.

Looks like hash, but melts like oil.
20200809 194354
20200823 105204
20201022 160855

Legal Disclaimer: due to the harsh penalties for this activity in Canada under the cannabis act, I no longer make this product. Not worth goin to jail over imho.

Last edited:
smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Nice writeup @GNick55.

If I can add a couple tips from my experience, if you use a chest freezer and freeze the product and solvent for 48 hrs, and do the entire soak/strain/filter process IN the freezer, you can get away with a much longer soak, producing a bit better yield of a more refined product. I usually soak the pot for a few mins at least, shaking it around to agitate it before straining it.

The extract comes out a beautiful yellow with no hint of green, and slow air dried produces a product similar to blonde hash, with a fish scale appearance to it. I've had it test over 90% pure cannabinoid on several occasions.

Looks like hash, but melts like oil.View attachment 1183204View attachment 1183205View attachment 1183202
Slickest substance know to mankind

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
i dont guess i understand the "90% pure cannabinoid", what else would it be? what is the other 10%?

TSD

TSD

20211029 233646

Sooo...
How do I tell when the RSO is done... when it stops bubbling? What's the consistency when it's still hot? Mine currently looks like motor oil, like new motor oil lol... but with a glob of tar forming on my thermometer. I think I let it get too hot there for a sec.... but this is my first attempt. Does the consistency change as it cools like most things? It started to smoke for a second... but like I said... too hot. Probably fucked it up lol.
20211029 233646

Top Bottom