How to mix nutes for hydro

• Thread starter Dankness420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dankness420

Dankness420

Hello, I have a somewhat dumb question, I'm using the aqua farm from general hydroponics and was wondering what is the best way to feed? It has a 19-20L reservoir, it just seems a pain in the ass if I have to give it nutes everytime by lifting the plant off. My question is how can a mix it in a jug, ph it, and then add it? Do I get a 2 litre jug but put in nutrients for 20L (per bottle guidelines but 1/2 strength for now) ? Any advice would be nice as this is messing with me especially for when the plants are big ( I have to lift the top to reach the reservoir) thanks in advance!!

Dankness420

Dankness420

Hello, I have a somewhat dumb question, I'm using the aqua farm from general hydroponics and was wondering what is the best way to feed? It has a 19-20L reservoir, it just seems a pain in the ass if I have to give it nutes everytime by lifting the plant off. My question is how can a mix it in a jug, ph it, and then add it? Do I get a 2 litre jug but put in nutrients for 20L (per bottle guidelines but 1/2 strength for now) ? Any advice would be nice as this is messing with me especially for when the plants are big ( I have to lift the top to reach the reservoir) thanks in advance!!
Also when is the ideal time to add calmag? I am using the FloraNova line with ripen and bio bud

Dankness420

Dankness420

Use the chart for flora nova recirculating here: https://generalhydroponics.com/feedcharts

Do you have a ppm or ph meter? The easiest way i can think of is to get another 5 gal pail mix and test the nutes then ph and temp adjust then just swap the buckets
Man that's gonna be a pain, it's not a recirculating system it's a drip system I think there is an air pump that pushes water down a tube and it drips from a ring, so I either mix it right in the reservoir or get another reservoir and mix it there? I shouldnt do the mix in less amount of water with the regular amount of nutes?

Dankness420

Dankness420

Use the chart for flora nova recirculating here: https://generalhydroponics.com/feedcharts

Do you have a ppm or ph meter? The easiest way i can think of is to get another 5 gal pail mix and test the nutes then ph and temp adjust then just swap the buckets
Oh yeah I have a ppm and ph meter, got everything sort off set except for the most efficient way to feed, I've grown in soil but not much experience in hydro tbh

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Man that's gonna be a pain, it's not a recirculating system it's a drip system I think there is an air pump that pushes water down a tube and it drips from a ring, so I either mix it right in the reservoir or get another reservoir and mix it there? I shouldnt do the mix in less amount of water with the regular amount of nutes?
Use the drain to waste then if I'm understanding right. Have a pic of the system so I can better understand. It's a too fed from the res below and it just keeps recirculating right?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If I'm thinking of how that works I think the air is put in at the bottom of the tube so that the bubbles rushing up the tube pulling the water/nutrients up and into the ring. The solution then drops through the media back into the bucket. Right?

ZackyFarms

ZackyFarms

it's going to be a good amount of work no matter what :-)
The easiest and cleanest way is probably getting a second reservoir. You can prep everything in the second reservoir and relocate the plant to this reservoir. This will allow you to clean out the first reservoir too. You'll want to clean out all that salt build up before you use it again.

FourthCity

FourthCity

Just mix the nutes in a 5 gallon bucket. Mark some lines inside for 1, 2, and 3 gallons so you can make enough for one or several plants and then pour it right over the top of the hydroton/pebbles, you can look at the tube on the side to gauge the water level. Most people have their aqua/waterfarms raised on top of a stand (another bucket works great here) to make it easier to drain when you want a completely fresh reservoir, you can leave it growing like this or just raise it when you need to. If you do this you dont have to pull the top part out for the entire grow.

Dankness420

Dankness420

Thanks guys I am doing reservoir changes and got my self a little trolly haha, I guess I'll put up with the hassle, I will try all ur recommendations

Dankness420

Dankness420

My reservoirs ph keep going up, I ph it and the next day it goes from 6. Whatever to the 7s, why is that happening? My drippers are on 24/7, I gave the plant mild nutes like 2 days ago for the first time at 1/4 strength, my plants are yellow now I dont know why, I checked my ppm and one of the reservoirs is steady the other one went from 230ppm to 306ppm, can anyone help with this? My tap water has a ppm of 90 on it's own, and i haven't used any calmag yet should i? Man should have grown in soul this is difficult haha

Dankness420

Dankness420

My reservoirs ph keep going up, I ph it and the next day it goes from 6. Whatever to the 7s, why is that happening? My drippers are on 24/7, I gave the plant mild nutes like 2 days ago for the first time at 1/4 strength, my plants are yellow now I dont know why, I checked my ppm and one of the reservoirs is steady the other one went from 230ppm to 306ppm, can anyone help with this? My tap water has a ppm of 90 on it's own, and i haven't used any calmag yet should i? Man should have grown in soul this is difficult haha
Lights are on 18/6, plants are about 2-3 weeks old from seed

Dankness420

Dankness420

This is a close up, first time using a drip system tbh so any help would do. I have read ppl saying to keep it on 24/7 and some ppl to time it, I'm using expanded clay peoples and seed was started in a rooting sponge soaked in tap water only

20191115 144321
Dankness420

Dankness420

Just mix the nutes in a 5 gallon bucket. Mark some lines inside for 1, 2, and 3 gallons so you can make enough for one or several plants and then pour it right over the top of the hydroton/pebbles, you can look at the tube on the side to gauge the water level. Most people have their aqua/waterfarms raised on top of a stand (another bucket works great here) to make it easier to drain when you want a completely fresh reservoir, you can leave it growing like this or just raise it when you need to. If you do this you dont have to pull the top part out for the entire grow.
I will be trying this soon saves the hassle of picking the whole thing up. I got a little trolly just incase it gets to moving it around

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What ph down are you using? Can fix that oh issue no problem.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm using general hydroponics ph down and my nutes are Floranova series with Ripen, I cant tell if it the ph fluctuation or do they need a little more nutes given the yellowish color:/
Ok here is the issue. I believe GH ph down is phosphoric acid. Great stuff... But... Haha always a but.

You tap is very low in carbonate and bicarbonate. Which is what increases alkalinity. What does this mean... Well it means you need to use very little ph down to lower the ph... It also mean your water ph is less stable.

How do you fix it? Add 1/2tsp of baking soda ( not baking powder) for each 5gal of water. With 4 gal of water (which is about how much water is actually in a 5gal pail when growing) try 1/3 tsp (not tbsp).

So fill the res add the baking soda then the nutrients then ph down. If the res is already running just add the baking soda and ph down. I suggest to about 5.8. if you are getting more than 0.2-0.3 ph increase in 24hrs. Slightly up the baking soda by 1/4 tsp per 5 gal until you have a stable ph. Always ph down after baking soda and nutes. Always last.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

There are better options than baking soda like potassium bicarbonate but I'm assuming you don't have that on hand. It's very cheap to order and that way you can avoid the sodium uses in baking soda.

But both work well

Top Bottom