How to prep larf and trim for dry sift?

• Thread starter phxazcraig
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Been watching some interesting dry sift videos, and I thought I'd give it a try since I have about 2 ounces of mostly-useless trim from my October crop. It's been sitting in mason jars with Boveda packs and is what I'd call decent-for-smoking dryness level. Or a bit moister than that. (56%RH in the jars).

I bought a set of sceens about 2 feet across, and I'll do this on a clean glass tabletop. I can't do much about getting the temp below 77F, but I can refrigerate things. I've got a set of makeup brushes my girlfriend said I could try, some stainless steel bowls and plenty of old credit cards. Looking into special types of parchment for cleaning.

I haven't seen much about prepping weed for this. My weed isn't wet, nor very dry. It's a bit spongy. I've read to throw it in a freezer overnight, and I've also read to only freeze it for 20 minutes (or you get more contamination).

Any words of wisdom to prep my supplies?

Moshmen

Moshmen

Been watching some interesting dry sift videos, and I thought I'd give it a try since I have about 2 ounces of mostly-useless trim from my October crop. It's been sitting in mason jars with Boveda packs and is what I'd call decent-for-smoking dryness level. Or a bit moister than that. (56%RH in the jars).

I bought a set of sceens about 2 feet across, and I'll do this on a clean glass tabletop. I can't do much about getting the temp below 77F, but I can refrigerate things. I've got a set of makeup brushes my girlfriend said I could try, some stainless steel bowls and plenty of old credit cards. Looking into special types of parchment for cleaning.

I haven't seen much about prepping weed for this. My weed isn't wet, nor very dry. It's a bit spongy. I've read to throw it in a freezer overnight, and I've also read to only freeze it for 20 minutes (or you get more contamination).

Any words of wisdom to prep my supplies?
@GNick55 is ur man!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
spread it out on cardboard for a week or two..
really it’s about the resin head ripening to a point where the outer skin has hardened? no more wax membrane.
i can’t explain it in proper terms at the moment, just not the weed being dry but the resin being “dry” ripened..
all resin is different!!! and all take different lengths of time being ready.. a good guideline meaning at least try to wait 4 months cure than take out to dry further in the open air for a week or two would be ideal, though i usually don’t wait that long unless i can. so i try to work around that with freezing weed etc, but for me i’m not after pure heads maybe a small piece, just clean enough to get a descent chunk of hash.. which i’m doing this week and weekend, i’ll post a video of the method i used for the whole pail of weed i have. 3 screens, weed in deep freezer, room temp low 60’s humidity mid 30’s,
as i’ve changed my sifting method from when i started the pail..
i’ll post on my dry sifting thread later tonight as i’m almost done the pail..
it’s like riding a bike you’ll get the hang of it after a few crashes!

Madbud

Madbud

My latest invention, the kief shaker, 90 micron

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

So... make my shake bone dry? I can guarantee that two weeks on cardboard in Phoenix will have my weed reduced to powder at the slightest touch. It can be really dry here. I can probably get the trim/nugs to get 'crunchy' simply by opening the jar overnight.

How about some combo of drying and freezing?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
So... make my shake bone dry? I can guarantee that two weeks on cardboard in Phoenix will have my weed reduced to powder at the slightest touch. It can be really dry here. I can probably get the trim/nugs to get 'crunchy' simply by opening the jar overnight.

How about some combo of drying and freezing?
ok, everyone has different methods for different environments and weed conditions, so dry is not an issue for you than..
what screens you got to use?
think you said you have 2 ounces?

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

perfect should be easy for you with those.,
i’ll be posting more sifting vids on my sift thread in a bit..
OK, looking forward to it. In the meantime all the material is sitting in jars in the dark, with Boveda packets, continuing to cure since October harvest.

Latest posts

Top Bottom