How to prevent a house fire?

• Thread starter ResinGoat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

ResinGoat

I'm going to be setting up an op this fall and wondering how to prevent the dreaded HOUSE FIRE :mad0233: :mad0233: :mad0233: :mad0233:

I was hoping some of you veterans can give a rookie some tips.

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
Improper/faulty wiring is the number one cause of fires. Make sure everything from your main panel out is sized for amperage. If you need any specific help, post away. There are guys around here that know all kinds of shit to help you out. I personally have no probs helpin someone stay safe. Feel free to ask any questions and good luck.

Notoriousskunk

Notoriousskunk

Nice thread
I always wanted to ask but thought i wudent but i do get paro smoking all this dank. lol:rasta:

Reminds me can extensions with a 4 plug extension be dangerous?

Peace

N$

R

ResinGoat

I'm thinking about running one of these units.
image.php

Its a Sentinel HPH-4. Is anyone familiar with it?

I'm not sure if its supposed to be wired to the breaker box or if you are supposed to plug it into a 30amp dryer outlet.

T

todgerdelburro

Nice thread
I always wanted to ask but thought i wudent but i do get paro smoking all this dank. lol:rasta:

Reminds me can extensions with a 4 plug extension be dangerous?

Peace

N$

Do not overload electrical circuits, always check all sockets, plugs, wires for any signs of burning or overheating.

I always get a fire extinguisher for an indoor grow & keep it handy, it is quicker than a fireman and it wont grass you up either.....

A friend was careless years ago, a wire ended up trapped under an NFT tank, it smouldered and eventually caught fire in his loft..... this managed to slowly burn 2/3 through a roof joist [6"x3"] but then "luckily" it melted a 15mm water hose and his wife spotted the 150L of fire infused water running down the bedroom walls. Funny talking about it now, but not so funny when you think how near they were to a major disaster.

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
Any extension can be dangerous, but it's all in the amperage of the wire in the extension cord. I don't like to use any more than 75% of the circuits rating, 'cuz you never know when something can surge. Ballasts are notorious for that. We all know someone who's blown a timer with only one 1,000 watt light. Almost all timers are rated for at least 15 amps. So @ 120V, 1,000 watts is 8.3 amps. How can 8.3 amps fuse a 15 amp timer? 'Cuz it's pulling more than 8.3 amps, especially on start up. Something to keep in mind when planning a grow.

purpleberry

purpleberry

If your going to do a large grow, you call a guy like johnnyballbag to come and build all your electrical the right way. Id have a breaker for each light, fan, ac, ect. Maybe a heat sensor that shuts down everything, you could even put in fire sprinklers. Id go over board if I had a large grow in my house.

R

ResinGoat

Do not overload electrical circuits, always check all sockets, plugs, wires for any signs of burning or overheating.

I always get a fire extinguisher for an indoor grow & keep it handy, it is quicker than a fireman and it wont grass you up either.....

A friend was careless years ago, a wire ended up trapped under an NFT tank, it smouldered and eventually caught fire in his loft..... this managed to slowly burn 2/3 through a roof joist [6"x3"] but then "luckily" it melted a 15mm water hose and his wife spotted the 150L of fire infused water running down the bedroom walls. Funny talking about it now, but not so funny when you think how near they were to a major disaster.

Good tips! :banana:

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
I've never used anything made by Sentinel, but i don't see how they could be using too good of parts to sell them that cheap. I mean they're sold at stores, so the company obviously sells them for less than what the consumer pays, so it's gotta be stuffed with cheap components. I'm sure they work, but wonder for how long... When talking about preventing fire, you're basically talking about electrical. If you don't want a fire, skimping on your electrical gear would be the last thing i'd do. What i HAVE done is bought cheap controllers in the past, and i don't own a single one to this day, if that tells you anything. A lot of things cost more due to nothing more than added flash or hype. When electrical gear costs more, you're paying for peace of mind and long term reliability. Something to keep in mind.

R

ResinGoat

Well what I like about the sentinel is that the master timer unit won't turn on the lights if it gets to hot in the room.

What type of set up do you recommend. Alltogether I should be around 4000 watts for lights and equipment.

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
I was just reading briefly over the hph-4 and didn't see anything about a thermal shut-down feature. I would think if it had one they'd advertise that as a selling point. As far as what i'd use, i'd make sure the relays in the unit are heavy duty, as those are the components that are actually handling your load. For example, that whole unit is rated for 30 amps. I'd want each individual relay rated for AT LEAST 20 amps, even though each relay will only be subjected to say 12 amps max. I wouldn't want a single wire in the unit to be anything under 14g. Oh yeah, one more thing... if i void my warranty by opening it up, then i won't buy it. I've had to send shit back to the manufacturer, and i don't like doin that. So if they aren't proud enough of their work to allow you to see it, or if they aren't keen and meticulous enough to detect if the user has tampered with it, then fuck that.

R

ResinGoat

Thanks for the insight johnny :). I think that unit itself is just a dummy unit, the timer unit that it plugs into WILL turn off at a predetermined temperature.

MDT-1

Where do you buy heavy duty electrical wire?

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
You can get wire from home depot.

thee

thee

If your going to do a large grow, you call a guy like johnnyballbag to come and build all your electrical the right way. Id have a breaker for each light, fan, ac, ect. Maybe a heat sensor that shuts down everything, you could even put in fire sprinklers. Id go over board if I had a large grow in my house.

good stuff! just had my electrician designate each breaker for each light...live and learn

Top Bottom