How To Raise Greenhouse Temps?

• Thread starter Gardenguy2.0
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gardenguy2.0

Gardenguy2.0

Hey fellow farmers
I'd like to hear some personal experience of inexpensive or crafty ways to raise temps or hold better temp in a greenhouse. Help me out farm brothers!

Gguy
How to raise greenhouse temps

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Since heat rises, put a few box fans pointing down on the ceiling of the ghost. Of course leave a nought room for air to get behind the fan.

Just a guess. Should work.

Or those oil filled space heaters. Put a few in there with a fan blowing theu the slats of thw heaters.

gravekat303

gravekat303

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey fellow farmers
I'd like to hear some personal experience of inexpensive or crafty ways to raise temps or hold better temp in a greenhouse. Help me out farm brothers!

Gguy View attachment 669652
Hmmm something about this green house says ausi to me. I would say hotdog heater just make sure its not blowing too hard on the plastic or plants maybe set it on a climate control or lights seem like they would help

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I know it would block a bit more light, but another layer of plastic could also help. I've seen people up in Canadia keep theirs warmer just by using a string or three of Christmas lights. This could obviously cause problems during flowering if used during the dark phase, but if you can get things so more heat stays in I think it could be helpful as well.

There are passive heating methods as well. I think your best bet would be to Google "passive greenhouse heating." Here's one hit.

S

Shamanfarmer

I've had good success with compost. A properly constructed compost pile gives off A LOT of heat! Use it to your advantage.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thermal mass is also very helpful in holding steady temps. 55 gallon barrels full of water are commonly used for this.
That's one of the methods outlined in one of the links I shared, too. :) Rocks, water, brick, that sort of thing IIRC. :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I thought it was more heat retention than that under fabric, of course I could be wrong but either way, it definitely raises temps a bit. If it's the difference between freezing and not freezing, that alone could be a huge difference.

Also consider reading Eliot Coleman's books, The Winter Harvest Handbook and Four Season Harvest. He has written that for each layer of plastic, he is able to shift the climate in his GH's south by approximately 500 miles. That's a huge difference.

jaybodankly

jaybodankly

Long time Elliot Coleman fan and his teachers the Nearings. He even considers the raising the angle of the growing bed.
I think it is 4 degrees of frost protection. So 28 degrees before it freezes. Not really important to our use but it does hold the heat and creates a beneficial micro-climate.

Gardenguy2.0

Gardenguy2.0

Was just looking for something temporary until we got the hot dawg installed! No worries! Thanks everyone for all your responses!
Double layer of plastic with an air blower in between layers to keep it inflated.
Adding thermal mass. 1 gal of water/per/sq/ft of plastic (glazing) is rule of thumb.
Insulate north wall.
Cover plants with agriculture fabric. +4 degrees under fabric.
Add a woodstove.
We just installed a couple of these !! Never even heard of em before yesterday

L

LCharlie

There's a huge range of options when it comes to greenhouse efficiency. Fortunately the commercial gh industry has been around forever and has gotten pretty advanced at this. Most popular options:
-insulate around the perimeter of the greenhouse underground (prevents frost creep into the soil; maintains warmer soil temperatures which then serves to stabilize the gh temp)
-integrate thermal mass - usually water barrels. check out the blog at ceresgs.com. Just saw they have a good article on water barrels for greenhouses there.
-add a second layer of glazing
-insulate your glazing if possible
-a more insulating light dep / shade cloth curtian that closes at night

Those are a few..."The Year Round Solar Greenhouse" is a good book if looking at the range of options for sustainable heating / cooling.

jaybodankly

jaybodankly

-insulate around the perimeter of the greenhouse underground (prevents frost creep into the soil; maintains warmer soil.

I have even seen 2'x8' sheets of insulation laid on the ground and buried a few inches to keep the ground from freezing near the greenhouse.

L

LCharlie

-insulate around the perimeter of the greenhouse underground (prevents frost creep into the soil; maintains warmer soil.

I have even seen 2'x8' sheets of insulation laid on the ground and buried a few inches to keep the ground from freezing near the greenhouse.

Yep, that is pretty typical. Or even 4' x 8' sheets -- usually pink board or blue board (polystyrene) as it is the most durable under moisture.

Top Bottom