How to rig a dual hose a/c to run co2??

• Thread starter smokey_waters
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

smokey_waters

Hi,
How do you board up the condenser inlet so it doesn't suck air from your tent? I want to run a sealed room. Can I just tape the sucker up? Is there a way to ghetto duct it?

Thx!

blazer

blazer

You would need to duct it some how,needs to be able to pull air across the condenser if you cap or tape it will cause you probs will break down!

D

DazedNconfussed

I took a box the size exact of the inlet, duct taped it air tight to the inlet, cut a hole in the back of the box and ran 8" a/c ducting out of my grow room. the box was about 1' deep so my ducting was about 1' off the back inlet vent.

You need to run Big ducting, 4" caused me too much restriction and my 12,000btu portable would over heat and blow luke warm air....run large ducting so it can suck the air across the condensor easily.

S

smokey_waters

Dazed,
Did you ever run the big ducting and if so, did it completely reduce negative pressure and eliminate spitting out smelly air? If you ran CO2, how much CO2 was still getting sucked out of the room? Any?

Thx!

D

DazedNconfussed

Yeah, I ran 8" ducting after the 4" shit didnt work....once I ran 8" it worked great....sealed it up real good with duct tape....the reason I did it was because i was running 20lb co2 tank with a controller...but i have a large room (14'x10') and 1 20lb co2 tank lasted me only 4 days....i dont know if i have other leaks, or if my monster scrog is sucking down the co2.....but i know i fixed the problem of the co2 getting sucked out by the a/c....i would take a pic for you but i have it all behind my reflective mylar and tucked away....hard to get to right now....

S

smokey_waters

Thx! I def want to use a dual hose cuz I'm in an apartment and have central AC, so a window AC looks suspicious and a split makes a good amnt of noise from what I hear. How did u make the box to go around the condenser inlet? Out of what material? Did u also use a fan??

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
If I were using a window a/c unit with a tent I would cut a hole in the side of the tent the size of the a/c. Install the a/c in this hole just like you would a window, half in and half out...the 2 halves are sealed in between. Build a plenum off the back as mentioned and run ducting, Personally I would go with an 8" fan with an 8" inline fan for 12,000 BTU, a 10" for 18,000 BTU and a 12" for 24,000 BTU. Not putting a booster fan will make the unit less efficient (run longer per hour) for sure, but at the same time the fans uses energy as well (2-2.5 amps) for an 8"....but much less than the 8-9 running amps that a 12,000 BTU uses. Keep in mind you are limited to the flow of the booster fan and don't forget you need make up air since you are pushing air out of the room. With no make up air you will pull a vacuum and your a/c wont work properly. If you have a window crack it open a couple inches which will allow make up air. The a/c will draw air from the side vents usual. This air will NOT be coming from your tent so it won't deplete the co2, only exhuasting the room air that comes from the opened window. The half of the a/c that is inside the tent is sealed from the back half. The front half brings in air from the tent, chills, dehumidifies, and put that air back in to tent. The keeps most of the smells from escaping and it also keep most of the co2 inside the tent. If exhasting smells is a problem put in a carbon filter inside the room iteself since, not the tent. OR you can put an inline filter on the 8" duct as long as you are using a booster fan.

Latest posts

Top Bottom