How to series wire pc fan to 12volt wall plug.

• Thread starter Sournoodle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sournoodle

Hey I'm not too good at electricity and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to use series wiring for 2 pc fans of different millamp. By this I mean connecting the fans buy using half the electricity in Both fans instead of just connecting both Red and Red and black and black to the wall plug like in other pc fan how to threads. Hope this makes sence ha. Basically I'm doing this because I want my fans to be quieter and use less electricity.

Both 80mm fans, one is 450 Ma (exuast) and one is 333 Ma (intake) and my wall plug is 12 volt dc output with 1000 ma

-thanks //)

homebrew420

homebrew420

more than likely the red is + black -. Makes sure the ratings for both fan and inverter are the same or very close otherwise problems will arise. Even if the wiring is backwards it should just make the fan run accordingly. Not a big deal.

Peace

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

I would just run them in parallel. Series is like batteries in a flashlight. The negative of one feeds into the positive of the next unit in the chain. As I said, parallel is the way to go. You want to keep up good air flow. Quiet them a different way.

-TF

hiboy

hiboy

You cant slow them down by not hooking up 1 red and 1 black. THose wires are for more hook ups.
Quiet them another way like TCF said, build an enclosure around them,
h

S

Sournoodle

Hey so I ended up series wiring them and it's much quieter then parraell wiring, but has less power ( obviously), is this safe? And what are some other ways to quiet down your fans?

Papa

Papa

Supporter
gee sournoodle,

you ask for advice, you get great advice from farmers with mucho experience, and then you don't take the advice . . .

then you ask for more advice.

this is how you choose to introduce yourself to the farm?

S

Sournoodle

The problem was I am aiming for a very stealthy grow and parralel wiring made too much noise, il just look up on my own how to quiet my fans but thanks everyone for input. And yes i ask questions to learn not to follow directly.

hiboy

hiboy

The problem was I am aiming for a very stealthy grow and parralel wiring made too much noise, il just look up on my own how to quiet my fans but thanks everyone for input. And yes i ask questions to learn not to follow directly.

when u look up on ur own to quiet ur 12v fans please share
h

S

Sournoodle

Hey so after reading a bit I found there's a few ways to quiet fans, such as bungie cords to silence vibrations, and putting your fan in a box of foam to silence it, or making a light trap.

S

Sournoodle

Not sure but it seems like a simple concept, removing sound buy muffeling it but still having airflow throughout the foam. Haven't tried it as I've been on vacation :)

Top Bottom