How To Setup Hydro

• Thread starter Toone
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Toone

I had a few questions about growing with a hydro setup just switchd from soil im currently using a cfl and just put a seed that germinated into rockwool with a simple little setup, anyway i wondered

What is the ph supposed to be

How long should the pump run

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

Hand water for now if it is just a seed and one plant... the cube should hold plenty of water for the seedling and you don't want to overwater it...

Unit541

Unit541

Anywhere between 5.5 and 6.5. You want it to swing from the low end to the high. Different nutrients are available at different PH levels.

H

Hydrohelper

Stay at 5.8 to 6.0 everytime. You dont want to be drifting to that high end in hydro, only soil

Unit541

Unit541

And with a swing of only 0.2, you're going to be deficient in more than a couple of areas.

The mindless following of PH "specification" is as prolific as the mindless "keep your RH at 50%" drivel...

H

Hydrohelper

And with a swing of only 0.2, you're going to be deficient in more than a couple of areas.

The mindless following of PH "specification" is as prolific as the mindless "keep your RH at 50%" drivel...

Phosphorus becomes less available the higher your ph is in hydro player. The only elements that may have less availability at the range i mentioned are manganese and copper (which we know arent big factors) . Can you please explain the problems of a 5.8-6.0 ph Unit541? LOL i want to know why following ph specifics is 'mindless' when growing cannabis? I think many of our forum members would disagree with that statement

K

kushtrees

P actually becomes more available at pHs over 6.0. It really depends on your media for what pH you want. With water culture you can let the pH swing more. If your using coco or DTW keeping your pH around 5.8-6.0 will make sure that your media pH stays stable, not to mention that range Is best for a balanced nutrient uptake. Also don't think that micro nutrients such as manganese and copper aren't as important. Plants need these micro nutrients to carry out the chemical reactions that make them grow so they are important and usually the most over looked factor.

Unit541

Unit541

Hydrohelper, "player"? really? Yes, Phosphorus is more available at a lower PH. I never said it wasn't. What does that have to do with the amount of swing? In fact, where did Phosphorus come into this at all? I certainly never brought it up. I missed where this was all about P, but even if it is, P is not perceptibly more available at 5.8 than it is at 6.0. And I suppose, since you're inclined to mock me for suggesting that a wider swing than .2 is advisable in hydro, then I suppose I'll bite in the hopes that you'll reward your plants with regular excursions below 5.8 and above 6.0. Mn and a few other micros aren't readily available until 5.2 or so in hydro. Zinc and Copper are also common deficiencies for plants that don't spend any time below 5.5. They can also pick up a load of P while they're down here getting their micros. On the other end, K, Ca and Mg all hang out up around 6.5. In fact, 5.8-6.0 is where Ca and Mg are least available, which is probably a big reason so many people put so much CalMag in their tanks.

So to answer your question bluntly:
Cannabis doesn't want one specific PH all the time, therefore it's rather mindless to make them live in one. Whether you want to see it as "problems of a 5.8-6.0 ph", or instead open your mind to the idea that perhaps there is advantages in a much larger swing. Stop LOL-ing so much, and grow better weed.

Sure, it'll do fine if it spends it's whole life between 5.8 and 6.0. "Fine" however, is nowhere near living up to it's potential. If this was paint by numbers, and you could just put everything to some predefined setting, then the best growers in the country would be the best because they could read instructions. I think we both know that's not the case. Regardless of what the "Super Frosty Bible of Dankness" says in Chapter 4 (or anywhere else the number 5.8 is published as the ideal), there are things that Cannabis needs that are available below that, and things that are available above that. This is a scientific fact that cannot be argued away. 5.8 is not the super-walmart of PH's where all nutrients are available at Rollback prices. You have to hit up Target down at 5.2 to get a few things walmart doesn't stock. Then you have to head over to Costco way up at 6.3 to get the best deal on other things.

Try a cycle with a 1 point drift just for kicks. You'll like the results.

H

Hydrohelper

I didnt mean constantly religiously keep it at 5.8-6.0 i meant when u make up the resevoir set it there but dont let it get up too high. I usually start at 5.5 or 5.6 to be honest and let it go to 6.3 or so.We were talking about hydro so when adding nutes etc to the water a good number to mix at is 5.8-6.0. In soil its a whole different game, and in full organic soil grows its a wayy different game. My reservoir always drifts throughout the week and you're right they use different elements at different ph ranges. Was just trying to make it easy for a newer grower since Macro and Micronutrients that cannabis uses to flower are all in some way available at that range. Dont know how i mocked you but sorry i guess. i can tell you took the reply very personally (youve never seen my weed or my garden). Your Ph facts are correct and i agree with them. Like I said, was just trying to make it easy for him. Im gonna get back to helping some more people and providing them with the best equipment on the market
Hydrohelper grow tools

H

Hydrohelper

P actually becomes more available at pHs over 6.0. It really depends on your media for what pH you want. With water culture you can let the pH swing more. If your using coco or DTW keeping your pH around 5.8-6.0 will make sure that your media pH stays stable, not to mention that range Is best for a balanced nutrient uptake. Also don't think that micro nutrients such as manganese and copper aren't as important. Plants need these micro nutrients to carry out the chemical reactions that make them grow so they are important and usually the most over looked factor.
Nahh. Were talking hydro, check the chart (or any other chart you can find)

H

Hydrohelper

For instance Unit, he could have thought you meant you can ph your res when you make it at 5.5 OR 6.5 ( which would be very bad) Sorry again for the misunderstanding sir

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

I start my res at 5.5 a lot of the time... It gradually drifts to 6.2 and then I drop it back down... There is nothing wrong with making your res 5.5... Why would that be bad? If you look at the chart you will see that @ 5.5 N, P, and K are more available than at 5.8... Also, all the micro nutes are more available as well...
I have even let my ph go down as far as 5.0 and have had no adverse effects...

H

Hydrohelper

yeah, thats usually the way my res goes throughout the week too MonsterRobot

J

Jalisco Kid

If your have a different look at things do not back from them because people challenge you. If you can not stand by your ideas don't try to propagate them.
Large swings (1 point) jacks up the internal chemistry of the plant. You can cover your micros and iron with floral sprays rather then gak up your whole plant. Certain cuts like a certain pH but that takes many cycles to dial in a plant. 5.8-6.1 is a good starting point. If you can run one cut for a few cycles one rez at 5.5 at one at 6.1 p.H. I find not much of a weight difference but tric and terpene can change with different p.H. Suerte JK

Top Bottom