How To Silence A Carbon Scrubber?

• Thread starter Kalikush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kalikush

Kalikush

Hey guys, I just built a silencer/muffler and it works really well for the rough version but now my loudest part of the exhaust is the scrubber. Has anyone figured out a way to build a silencer for the scrubber? I'm thinking I might have to use a large Rubbermaid bin lined with eggcrate foam with oversized intakes or something like that but am hoping there is an easier way. Any ideas?

Kalikush

Kalikush

Can Fan all the way.. No prior experience or affiliation with them but they have good reviews so we'll see..

Kalikush

Kalikush

If temps are fine and if possible turn the fan down.
A larger sized fan filter combo with a speed controller. Turn it down it will be quieter than a smaller version.

A 4" would be fine here but I went with the 6". Also paid more for the can fan max pro and am just using it on the lowest setting with the built in speed controller. I still need more stealth though..

north knect

north knect

I built a similar one last night for the exhaust but I need something for around the scrubber to quiet the high pitched whine I can hear through it.
Mine is louder then I had anticipated as well. .I was thinking of an insulated(fire and sound proof) box with intakes..just don't have the room for a bulky box..

Kalikush

Kalikush

Mine is louder then I had anticipated as well. .I was thinking of an insulated(fire and sound proof) box with intakes..just don't have the room for a bulky box..

That's exactly my problem, the can filter is big enough for my small space

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Just cut open a pillow on the seams at both ends, take the stuffing and put half on each side of the fan. Slide the pillow sleeve back over the fan and stuffing, zip tie the ducting and then tape or zip tie the pillow case to the ducting. More polyfill should be used to stuff the case full for maximum sound dampening.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

You said a 6" filter. How long is it? My old one was about 24" short. Loud as hell. I later got a
Just cut open a pillow on the seams at both ends, take the stuffing and put half on each side of the fan. Slide the pillow sleeve back over the fan and stuffing, zip tie the ducting and then tape or zip tie the pillow case to the ducting. More polyfill should be used to stuff the case full for maximum sound dampening.
This might work if you wrap it around the filter instead of the fan.
Pretty much a filter over the pre filter stuffed so it allows air to be drawn through.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
How does a carbon filter make noise lol.

When I installed my charcoal filter. The sound level of my exhaust dropped noticeably.

The tent is rated for a 250 watt hps
With a 4" can fan rated around 158 cfm. But I have a 400watt cooltube, "6 can fan 400cfm, phresh "6x16 400 cfm charcoal filter, all with "6 ducting. The oversized system helped a lot for reducing tent noise output. Especially with the fan controller. But on a super hot day when the fan Ramps to maximum... it can be quite loud. Just gotta keep house temps under °70 and the exhaust noise stays in check.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Put a piece of insulated ducting between the fan and filter and it won't make noise anymore.

Kalikush

Kalikush

The fan itself is actually pretty quiet compared to some others I've had in the past but I plan to line the fan with Dynamat to hopefully make it silent. I built a MDF box last time but it's bulky and I don't want to build one again if I don't have to.

You said a 6" filter. How long is it? My old one was about 24" short. Loud as hell. I later got a

This might work if you wrap it around the filter instead of the fan.
Pretty much a filter over the pre filter stuffed so it allows air to be drawn through.

It's a 6" inline with a scrubber of about 16" tall I believe. Additional pre filter might help too, I'll see what I can work out without reducing airflow too much, thanks.

How does a carbon filter make noise lol.

It does muffle the sound some but it's the whine of the fan coming through the filter.

Put a piece of insulated ducting between the fan and filter and it won't make noise anymore.

I actually bought some of this to try before I had to make the silencer so I'll give this a shot. I'll have to create a bend with this ducting to go from the filter to the fan so maybe that'll do the trick. Thanks for the idea.

I was thinking I'll have to line the filter area with 3/4" MDF or something to create more of a barrier for the sound to travel through but maybe the insulated ducting will do the trick.

Top Bottom