How To Speed Up Ripening?

• Thread starter ThcFarmer1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

ThcFarmer1

I'm wondering if there's something I could do to speed up ripening besides just growing in optimal conditions?

I've heard that ethylene is responsible for ripening process to occur.

So I got this idea: what if I close all ventilation and control humidity with dehumidifier? I theory that might make ethylene to build up, because plants generate CO2 at night and I've heard higher than normal levels of co2 activates ethylene synthesis.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Decrease your photoperiod and simulate the Emerson effect with far red leds. I use 11/13 photoperiod and my far red leds turn off 15 minutes after the flowering lights shut off. They go to sleep faster this way.

This is the way to do it for cannabis imo. And you dont need much far red either.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
This is the way to do it for cannabis imo. And you dont need much far red either.

Exactly. I have the growmau5 far red led puck. It’s on a timer so it comes on 2 hours before lights out and turns off 15 minutes after they shut off. The puck was $35 including power supply. It’s plug and play and made by rapidled.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Exactly. I have the growmau5 far red led puck. It’s on a timer so it comes on 2 hours before lights out and turns off 15 minutes after they shut off. The puck was $35 including power supply. It’s plug and play and made by rapidled.

Nice, i wouldn’t even use it for that 2 hr period because i like my plants to be compact plants but whatever works for you :)

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I haven’t noticed any additional stretch from it. My guess is it’s not really enough wattage to have much of an effect over the quantum board lights. I might change the timer though now that you mention it.

Well, i’m not exactly sure but there was this video with a guy using a quantum meter to show how little wattage produces how much far red and little goes a long way.

I havent utilized far red so i can’t say much on the far red causing stretch but you know plants interpret far red as another plant shading them so they’ll stretch more i think.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Maybe a bit controversial but I've had success in the past with using harpin proteins to shave almost a week off of a grow.
Some products like Headmasta have it in it.

JaxiDoodlson

JaxiDoodlson

I would say just let plants do their thing, But I was told don't know if its true or not. Was told by a big nectar guy that Aphrodite's Extraction can speed it up.

H

Hobbygrow

I’ve been trying to force ripen my plants I’ve had them on 8- 16 for a week and not much change before that I put them on 6- 18 for 2 days and a few pistols turned brown but I have since changed it back to 8 - 16 because I realized none of my plants had actually hermied after a disaster and I had calmed my nerves and the boards seem to be fattening But not ripening I think 6- 18 will be fastest. Also hang some brown bananas among your plants they release the ripening chemical.

the rrock

the rrock

What is the "ripening chemical"and how would a brown banana help do this, other than say a rotten apple? Sounds like you may be onto something big here!!!!

Dont Sing IT>BRING IT!!!

DV_JR

DV_JR

ethylene gas. it’s found in tomatoes and bananas. ripens fruit but I’m not sure of the effects on cannabis.

Latest posts

Top Bottom