How To Spot A Herm?

• Thread starter Gamechanga12
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Gamechanga12

Is there a way I can tell if a plant is a herm early in flower? If not how can I tell later in flower?

Wildill

Wildill

I wanted to get a second opinion on this I believe it's a herm it's about 10days into flower the strain is 91 octane(chem91x high octane og bx3). It's only on this one branch so far.

Top of branch
IMG 1333

Middle of branch
IMG 1332

IMG 1332

IMG 1331
Gaberabtic

Gaberabtic

Just having a recent issue with this. The pictures look like male flowers so, I would be leaning towards yes. Go with your gut man.
Good luck

thunderfudge

thunderfudge

Breeder
It is definitely showing both sexes,my question is how many male sacks are you seeing.kush and chem will both intersex from seed,especially if flowered before maturity or bound up at alI.sometimes just because its in the genetics.
if it is less than 5 I would pluck them and watch the plants.just because it had a moment of confusion,doesn't make it a bad genotype yet.if any return I would shit can it,but some of the best finds I've had popped a sack or 2 first run,which were plucked and never returned.good luck

Wildill

Wildill

It is definitely showing both sexes,my question is how many male sacks are you seeing.kush and chem will both intersex from seed,especially if flowered before maturity or bound up at alI.sometimes just because its in the genetics.
if it is less than 5 I would pluck them and watch the plants.just because it had a moment of confusion,doesn't make it a bad genotype yet.if any return I would shit can it,but some of the best finds I've had popped a sack or 2 first run,which were plucked and never returned.good luck

That makes since I plucked them off there where only like 3 on 1 branch every where else on the plant I see pistils I'm going to keep an eye on her I'm also going to pop more beans she was the only female out of the 4 beans I germed

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

keep a super eye on them one pod an destroy your hole grow or just one plant but u never know I would not risk it but I got back up plants I could just replace it I wish u the best of the luck o and remember u can have them grow inside ish of the nug

thunderfudge

thunderfudge

Breeder
That makes since I plucked them off there where only like 3 on 1 branch every where else on the plant I see pistils I'm going to keep an eye on her I'm also going to pop more beans she was the only female out of the 4 beans I germed
Tag that branch with a twisty tie so it draws your eyes to it every time u enter the room,put it by an out filter and keep away from any fans.pull any larfiness off not receiving prime light,and gut the interior along the main stem and first few nodes on each branch towards the middle.you could also remove that branch as well.we are rooting for ya!

Wildill

Wildill

After further consideration I've decided to cull her ill just pop more beans I just didn't want to have to wait anther 2 plus months to flower new seedlings lol. This is a test run for me anyhow I have more seedlings of other strains going i was just looking forward to this one

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I tried doing that and there were hidden nanners somewhere because the whole crop was seed pods, hope you have a lazy suzan and a flashlight. Maybe I just need glasses...

thunderfudge

thunderfudge

Breeder
I tried doing that and there were hidden nanners somewhere because the whole crop was seed pods, hope you have a lazy suzan and a flashlight. Maybe I just need glasses...
Lol.I hear ya.I've had a few seeded rooms over the years.I think the key is when growing from seed with these new varieties is to keep a manageable plant the first run.I bloom seedlings in 25 liter pots with 6 to 8 tops so I can always inspect the whole plant.i call it defensive growing.lol.
I put a can 66 air scrubber in the far corner and put anything potentially sketchy around it.that way if there is hermie pollen it is immediately sucked into the carbon filter.it's on 24 hours a day just cleaning away.
I think pheno hunting/seed popping is no different panning for gold.you're gonna have to dig through the shit to get to the goods.

Bannacis

Bannacis

A little tip in removing male pollen sacks, if they have grown to a size that might break open if disturbed.
You mist the area with water, and if plucking wet your fingers or use a paper towel that is soaked in water.

If your grow room has circulating fans and a strong exhaust, more than likely there will be a vortex or swirling type of air flow in the room, specially if its closed system. So hoping any pollen will be sucked straight out of room is a big crap shoot.
And the pollen will stay active for days, unless it gets wet.
If you have the option to mist a grow room periodically, or just mist before you do the removing. mostly useful in early flower. hopefully if male pods found late in flower are few and far between.So just plucking is needed.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
If it keeps popping nanners you could just chop early and make cannacoconut oil or cannabutter for making edibles.

Top Bottom