how to start seeds rooter plugs?

• Thread starter catdaddy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
catdaddy

catdaddy

i've seen threads on here about them but mostly dealing with clones. i am starting from seeds and wanted to know which way to plant once seed is germinated (started on paper towel until tap root was shown)? i've researched this and some people say tap root down and others say tap root up; which is somewhat confusing because i've put tap root any kind of way and it always sprouted no matter how i put it in the soil. also after i put it in the plug and place it in humidity dome do i need a heating mat to complete this process?

thanks in advance.

K

kes5480

tap root down, head up{shell/seed...w.e)lol
what are u using for a medium?

catdaddy

catdaddy

tap root down, head up{shell/seed...w.e)lol
what are u using for a medium?

thanks.

i am using promix atm. i brought these about 2-3 months ago and wanted to try them out. also i think these will work out better then the solo cups i usually start out with. for some reason the roots grow so fast in them cups and the most i can get out of them is about 9-10 days before they get root bound; most people get 3-4 weeks out of them before they have to transplant, from what i've read, but that's not the case for me. i figure i can start out with the rooter plugs and transplant to a 1 gallon right after.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Tap Root Down

I usually cut the hole/gash in the root plug a little bigger, then place seed with tap root so that the seed is just under the top of the plug with the tap root going down as far as it goes. place the plug back into the tray and water once a day. The seed will erupt from the plug in a day or 3. Just make sure the plug doesn't get to wet or to dry and when you see the roots start to poke out of the side of the plug plant them into your 1 gallon bags as deeply as you can. Hopefully the root plug will be an inch or so at least under the surface of the soil. Good luck, I use them for seeds and clones

mal

catdaddy

catdaddy

I usually cut the hole/gash in the root plug a little bigger, then place seed with tap root so that the seed is just under the top of the plug with the tap root going down as far as it goes. place the plug back into the tray and water once a day. The seed will erupt from the plug in a day or 3. Just make sure the plug doesn't get to wet or to dry and when you see the roots start to poke out of the side of the plug plant them into your 1 gallon bags as deeply as you can. Hopefully the root plug will be an inch or so at least under the surface of the soil. Good luck, I use them for seeds and clones

mal

thanks.

just a quick ? do you use a heating mat for the seeds? or am i good just with keeping the plug moist under the humidity dome?

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Use heat mat

I sometimes will use a heat mat with my clones if I want them rooted quicker, you can also use a heat mat with seeds but you will have to watch them to make sure they don't dry out on you. The heat mat speeds up the growing but will dry out pretty quickly, if you use a heat mat I usually will mist the plugs a couple of times a day. Using the dome will help keep the humidity up on new clones or seeds, you will want to wipe the moisture off of the dome once a day and check plugs for moisture. If plugs start to feel a little dry water them

mal

G

grnmountainboy

i always get the most roots the fastest when i use promix bx and just plain old 16 ounce party cups. once i germinate them and put them in promix it usually only takes a day before they pop up through the top of the dirt.

catdaddy

catdaddy

I sometimes will use a heat mat with my clones if I want them rooted quicker, you can also use a heat mat with seeds but you will have to watch them to make sure they don't dry out on you. The heat mat speeds up the growing but will dry out pretty quickly, if you use a heat mat I usually will mist the plugs a couple of times a day. Using the dome will help keep the humidity up on new clones or seeds, you will want to wipe the moisture off of the dome once a day and check plugs for moisture. If plugs start to feel a little dry water them

mal

thanks.

if i don't need the heating mat at this moment i can do without it. the only reason i inquired about a heating mat was because i read in other threads where everyone was using them and i thought that it was needed.

grnmountainboy
i always get the most roots the fastest when i use promix bx and just plain old 16 ounce party cups. once i germinate them and put them in promix it usually only takes a day before they pop up through the top of the dirt.

thanks.

i totally agree with you but my reasons for going with rooter plugs are due to the fact my plants got root bounded in 9-10 days using solo cups. i want to start out with rooter plugs and transplant to a 1 gallon or 3 gallon( start out on using 1/3 of the pot and gradually fill the rest in) without having to experience that problem again.

K

Killadelph13

can anyone shed light on what a proper feeding program would look like for a seed that starts out , to say 6-8 inches tall. Roughly a month. 4 weeks lets say.

POP, Week 1 - root excel, cal mag(small amount) ( if usin ro)
Week 2 - is it necessary to mix nutes above 100 ppms. ( am i just watchin to see how she reacts and go from here)
Week 3 - ? . . . . .

Top Bottom