How to tell when to harvest if you don't have a loupe, or Don't rely solely on trichomes

• Thread starter Seamaiden
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

steelcanaries

....i tell ya, that "Sun" is a hell of a force lol...good read Sea...thanx for sharing your skool of thought on the subject....helps to give everyone a better understanding of all things related to this amazing plant we all love and have so much passion for....canna, truly is, endless novelty....I feel what you are saying and have often pondered this subject in many ways myself....I tend to agree with what you are saying, but Idk, even though there isnt a salt build up with the organics, wouldnt the plant still benefit from some run off, just to dilute or rid the medium of the plants natural waste created from it just doing its thing? you know, like hittin the head after a big meal? lol I respect your level of conservation and dedication to keeping things as natural as possible, but I am also pondering the benefit in smell and taste that would be displayed by using both organics and mineral based nutrients....kind of a wider range of diet, makes for a tastier fish type of thinking....respects....be blessed...steely dan k...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What waste, though? Plants don't poop.

The thing that's most important to understand is that the soil feeds the plant and those chemical salts kill the very life that feeds the plant in a more perfect manner. What "waste" plants do give off is in the form of sugars, and the soil life eats that waste. It's a perfect loop in a perfect cycle. :)

To clarify, it was another grower (Mr. Molecule here on the farm) who taught me these other metrics by which to tell if a girl is finished or not. I've just been using the tools he gave me ever since and to this point it's been years since I've used a loupe to figure out whether or not one is ready to go.

Have you gotten your copy of Teaming With Microbes yet? It would make things a lot clearer for you in this respect. :)

colostoney

colostoney

harv when it gets all bendy wonky fallin over done!
as that plant ripens the stems turn from strong and turgid to very brittle
ya know when they snap from weight super easy
then a week or so later in maturity your stems become soft almost rubbery and pliable
the whole plant starts to sag at this point
well most your complex solid starches nw have broken into simple sugars....
ie ripened and you fruit is also at its sweetest now for the same reason
best example I always use is an apple is hard as hell on a tree two weeks before it is ripe
but it is fully formed and looks ripe its just still rock hard and bitter
two weeks a gentle sun and love later it is RIPE the fruit itself is softer to the touch and now tastes sweet:cool:
now please harvest it whole dry it whole and cure it slow lmfao

S

steelcanaries

nice post colostoney...good words and advice....apple example clarifies things perfectly....Im feelin it....gonna incorporate what you said into my ripening/finishing/harvesting coming up within the next two weeks....cheers...

S

smoothbud

This is by far the best thread on how to decide when to harvest that I have ever read.You truly do sell your crop short when you rely on the age old advise on when to harvest according to color of trichs under a scope. The other one quoted often is to harvest when 75% of hairs turn color. Lots of growth left at that stage on many strains. I started testing when I started going beyond the widespread advise to make sure I wasn't letting it go too long and get degradation of the THC. Never saw anything but increases on my lab results by letting them ripen more until they are done growing. I had not really thought about the effect it has on curing but I have noticed that it takes less time to get that good smell and taste from the cure on my last several runs. I had thought I was just getting better at curing but now I am thinking that maybe as I get better at picking at the peak of ripeness may be the reason I get that sweet smell so much quicker after harvest.

buddhabud3

buddhabud3

Mo
Funny, I had the same thing happen to me with my Sour Diesel, a couple of those small buds just snapped off! I had done LST and pulled back the dominant branches to give the small ones a chance, but I feel it's not worth it, those 'thumb-sized middle buds' are very weak and don't grow as vigorous as the main few branches, yet hog the light. Next time I'm going to do less restricting of the main branches, at least on the Sour diesel —it's going really yellow now, even the small leaves, but the buds are big. It's stopped drinking and so has the Blue Dream. They are coming out tomorrow. The other two are still very thirsty...[/QUOTe

P

pi r

We've all seen them, the threads asking, "Is she done yet?" or "Is she ready?" The vast majority of farmers are well familiar with using trichomes as the gauge for figuring out when to harvest their crop. Hopefully the newbies have gone through the two DJ Short threads posted up in this forum by Texas Kid. While everyone's at it, read this quick primer to help round out the harvest window picture for you.

Those who've got enough grows with enough strains under their belts are going to know that not all strains' trichomes will change color in the 'usual' manner, and in fact some strains trichomes will never change color until after harvesting. I've run strains on which the trichomes never got cloudy, they went from clear to amber, and I've run strains with purple trichomes that never got cloudy or amber.

And so, to that end, I'm doing another one of my threads to discuss what other metrics can be used to tell when a lady should be harvested.

Don't rely solely on trichomes for harvesting.

1: Pistils. Is she throwing out tons of new pistils, or is she just popping a few whities here and there, mostly at the tops of the buds, with an overall red appearance? If still popping out a lot of new pistils, she may have a little longer to go just yet.

2: Buds. Are they still growing noticeably, or does it seem they've stopped growing? If still growing noticeably, the plant has more time left to go. Don't shortchange yourself by getting impatient for the chop!

3: Appearance. Does the plant have an autumnal appearance? Especially once the major fan leaves begin yellowing, then you know you're nearing that finish line. This may be a more or less reliable metric depending on how you feed. Many folks continue pushing N long into flower, possibly all the way through, depending on their fertilizing regimen, and that can cause the plants to retain an overall bright green coloration. That makes this metric a little less reliable if taken on its own.

4: Water/fertilizer consumption. If it's still taking in a lot of water, it's still transpiring actively, which would suggest it's still growing actively. If it's still 'eating' as it was during the earlier phases of flower, then again, she likely still has some time. If it seems to have stopped drinking and eating, as some put it, then it's likely done.​

Now, add these other metrics to trichomes and you'll know when your girls are done and how you want to handle them. :)

all great points. here is something else to add to the mix. co2.

i like using co2 because my harvests are appreciably bigger and i dont have to use outside air. no need to worry about scrubbing your air when you use co2. although a redundant system wouldnt be a bad idea.

when using co2 if you take it right up to harvest the buds will continue to bulk up. throw out new white pistils and the buds will start to fox tail.

imo if your using co2 you should stop using it when you are ready to harvest and then use the above to criteria to decide on your exact harvesting moment. it may take a few weeks from that point.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thank you for that. I've never enriched my room with CO2 and so I don't have a good working understanding of what changes when it's being used. :)

yooper420

yooper420

Curmudgeonlander
Supporter
Very good read, good info. Something for everyone to learn or to refresh in your mind. Thanks all.

G gnome

G gnome

Imo its more reliable to factor the aforementioned signs than the condition of the trichs. Ive been using this same system for gaging my harvest time for a long time. I do still look thru a loupe but theres more to be learned from just listening to what the plant tells ya
Awesome thread!

Newtogrowing

Newtogrowing

We've all seen them, the threads asking, "Is she done yet?" or "Is she ready?" The vast majority of farmers are well familiar with using trichomes as the gauge for figuring out when to harvest their crop. Hopefully the newbies have gone through the two DJ Short threads posted up in this forum by Texas Kid. While everyone's at it, read this quick primer to help round out the harvest window picture for you.

Those who've got enough grows with enough strains under their belts are going to know that not all strains' trichomes will change color in the 'usual' manner, and in fact some strains trichomes will never change color until after harvesting. I've run strains on which the trichomes never got cloudy, they went from clear to amber, and I've run strains with purple trichomes that never got cloudy or amber.

And so, to that end, I'm doing another one of my threads to discuss what other metrics can be used to tell when a lady should be harvested.

Don't rely solely on trichomes for harvesting.

1: Pistils. Is she throwing out tons of new pistils, or is she just popping a few whities here and there, mostly at the tops of the buds, with an overall red appearance? If still popping out a lot of new pistils, she may have a little longer to go just yet.

2: Buds. Are they still growing noticeably, or does it seem they've stopped growing? If still growing noticeably, the plant has more time left to go. Don't shortchange yourself by getting impatient for the chop!

3: Appearance. Does the plant have an autumnal appearance? Especially once the major fan leaves begin yellowing, then you know you're nearing that finish line. This may be a more or less reliable metric depending on how you feed. Many folks continue pushing N long into flower, possibly all the way through, depending on their fertilizing regimen, and that can cause the plants to retain an overall bright green coloration. That makes this metric a little less reliable if taken on its own.

4: Water/fertilizer consumption. If it's still taking in a lot of water, it's still transpiring actively, which would suggest it's still growing actively. If it's still 'eating' as it was during the earlier phases of flower, then again, she likely still has some time. If it seems to have stopped drinking and eating, as some put it, then it's likely done.​

Now, add these other metrics to trichomes and you'll know when your girls are done and how you want to handle them. :)
hello there, my plant is 63 days old and its and auto flower. how much more time do you think. thanks a bunch. this is only my second plant.

0630151757a
0630151758a
0624151557c
Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hello! Welcome to the farm. I'd have to say (not having grown out any autos) that the plant looks awfully close to done. It has the appearance of a plant that's been let go and is pushing out another round of pistils. Sometimes this leads to a lot of good bulking up, other times it can lead to foxtailing. I'm going to guess a couple of weeks more, at the most.

Newtogrowing

Newtogrowing

Hi, if you don't mind me asking what is foxtailing also what you u mean by the plant had been let go. Just wanted to ask as i'm new to this.

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Read this all the way through.
What an excellent thread!

I am surprised that no one mentioned the scent cues.
Once you have done a few runs with a favorite strain and gone through all the Amber trichs, browning hairs, dusky stems, yellowing leaves, stalled growth, lack of thirst, clues, pay close attention to the scent change.

Seriously, one day you walk into the greenhouse, take a whiff, and reach for the Fiskars.

That said. I hardly ever take a whole plant at once.
An average plant will have buds in all stages of ripeness.
And there are subtle differences in effect from buds depending on their location on the plant.
I take some early buds for making "daytime oil".
Then, usually two or three chops over time, for "inhalation titration" Pain meds, and a final chop for making "night oil".
You can get several different medical profiles, and sets of side effects from a single plant this way.

Mahalo Seamaiden, I have leaned much from you.

Aloha,
Weeze

Newtogrowing

Newtogrowing

Read this all the way through.
What an excellent thread!

I am surprised that no one mentioned the scent cues.
Once you have done a few runs with a favorite strain and gone through all the Amber trichs, browning hairs, dusky stems, yellowing leaves, stalled growth, lack of thirst, clues, pay close attention to the scent change.

Seriously, one day you walk into the greenhouse, take a whiff, and reach for the Fiskars.

That said. I hardly ever take a whole plant at once.
An average plant will have buds in all stages of ripeness.
And there are subtle differences in effect from buds depending on their location on the plant.
I take some early buds for making "daytime oil".
Then, usually two or three chops over time, for "inhalation titration" Pain meds, and a final chop for making "night oil".
You can get several different medical profiles, and sets of side effects from a single plant this way.

Mahalo Seamaiden, I have leaned much from you.

Aloha,
Weeze
Very nice

Newtogrowing

Newtogrowing

Ok all, my plant is 65 days old, what do you think. How much longer? Really getting excited.

20150702 195445
20150702 195509
20150702 195628
20150702 195649
420 lyfePpP

420 lyfePpP

Ran into some budrot in my cola and found it soon and only lost minimal
Have had couple that go kinda cloudy after harvest white

Latest posts

Top Bottom