How to tell when to harvest if you don't have a loupe, or Don't rely solely on trichomes

• Thread starter Seamaiden
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chillywilly

chillywilly

My friend, usually your pistills(pollen receivers) go dry or dark after a full grow...we are growing flowers not just plants for their resin production...flowers almost always show by their pistills or other indicators... Flowers, Flowers,Flowers...= Resin(active ingredient)...smell as well can tell, strong, astringent, fruity, acrid, fuely, weak/strong/clear/ flat...do hands and knees operation, after you will know when or if to harvest...Amber trich tells overripe, white about ripe, clear before being ripe...each speaks to the level of effect (high) you are going to get--- Amber= stoned/CBD,... White=ideal balanced,...Clear= high end euphoric...
Just my 2 cents as a med patient...and ohh, light spectrum in growing...
cw

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

I'm stll confused ob how to tell your buds are done I don't want to wreck it wish I was experienced like all of you
The best way to become experienced is to not insult folks trying to help you out (plus actually growing) many people have tried to help you since you’ve appeared on here and you ve called most of them names or insulted their skill. Not sure if you have a personality disorder or something... I apologize if that is the case, and hope you get some therapy mr x.

T

Tmite

Another gage that I use is the trichomes starting to bend and look somewhat like a candy cane. I totally agree on the trichomes color....my Purple Jones turns rusty before done and Chemdog #4 will frustrate the shit out of you waiting and waiting....
Good thread as usual Sea.

T

Tmite

My chem dog #4 has baffled me everytime I grow it. I get frustrated trying to look at the red hairs but the trich are still mainly clear but only a few cloudy. It seems as though it still needs more time. Hopefully I'll figure it out !

D

David.jenny

Some great observations sea maiden. I use dwc and the drop in water and nutes useage is one of the better indications of ripeness.
TrainwreckJenny
I just cut one of my girls noticed after flushing that the smell is gone, is that because I smoke a lot or the fact I've peaked out and don't get high anymore, or is there something I'm missing here?

S

smithj3231

Hi first grow here and wondering if you would think these are getting ready to harvest? They are lemon og kush and purple kush plants and are right around day 55 or so and looking pretty close. Trichs look pretty white and cloudy to me. Thanks for any help. First 3 are the pk and second pics are the lemon og there smelling mighty fine!

20191009 121259
20191009 121224
20191009 121040
20191010 142717
20191010 143106
H

hawkman

Hi first grow here and wondering if you would think these are getting ready to harvest? They are lemon og kush and purple kush plants and are right around day 55 or so and looking pretty close. Trichs look pretty white and cloudy to me. Thanks for any help. First 3 are the pk and second pics are the lemon og there smelling mighty fine!
Plant loos great - with No loupe consider harvesting when the "pistals' have turn 80% amber - then you are in the harvest window which lasts for 2 weeks -- Happy harvest !!!!!!!!!!

S

smithj3231

Thanks for the reply. I do have a 60 x loupe just wasn't sure on the amber to cloudy on them and didn't want to lose on size.The buds themselves had probably about 20% amber at the tops and sugar leaves had a lot more amber. I decide last night to take a few of the most developed buds up to from the furthest 2. Got about 60 grams off of about 7 small sections of branches. One off the pk was 22 gs and only about 4 inches long!

20191010 200224
poppaTHC420

poppaTHC420

I have three ladies in various state of finishing .. but I’m a rookie and don’t want to chop too early, am thinking of taking the big buds and leaving the rest to finish up a bit longer .. trichomes are milky but not amber
E52B0F22 4994 4C1C B4BF A716D9235F5A

below frigid

below frigid

When you think they are done, wait a week! Cloudy is peak. After first amber triche it's your personal preference. More amber more sedative.

Concordia113

Concordia113

Poppa what strain is that looks dense as hell. Having tough time getting Durban poison to fatten up thinking about trying something else

poppaTHC420

poppaTHC420

Poppa what strain is that looks dense as hell. Having tough time getting Durban poison to fatten up thinking about trying something else
Supposed to be white widow auto flower feminized... from crop king but every plant has looked different so far

maximusluminous

maximusluminous

When you think they are done, wait a week! Cloudy is peak. After first amber triche it's your personal preference. More amber more sedative.
I lost a strain with this practice.. ak47 in like 1999.. picked the first time at 9 weeks, it was crap. (only 1 plant out many other strains so no biggie). Next run I went to 10 weeks with it.. it was even worse. I said the hell with it & flowered the mother the next run. 6 weeks & 3 days into that run & I needed more space so I chopped the shitty ak47 down. hung it in a closet & forgot about it for like 10 days. Pulled it out & smoked some & it was straight up fire, the plant looked done to me at 8 weeks easy but that ole "just wait a week more" got me, it was prolly at peak at 7 weeks, 8 weeks being at the end of its window.. I started learning after that, that I was over ripening most of my strains, all my 9 weeks strains seemed way better picked at 8 weeks. Thus I have NO faith in the "just let it go a week longer" way of doing it, a week longer can be the difference between pure crap & what would have been great bud! And the AK47 never got many amber trichs, maybe 10-20% at best & was still pure crap like that!

Gaspipe67

Gaspipe67

First time growing. I’m growing a hybrid that I can not find any info on. It’s Larry bogo og. The plant has looked the same for 10 days. No real change. No real growth. I’ve been reading the basic harvest threads but incredibly I found this thread and I’m thrilled. Can I get your opinions?

7CEBA051 ED32 4F42 A888 03FBF45D520C
76BACA00 732C 407D 8001 B3AF742D58A1
Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Opinions, I got.

Looks mostly cloudy from here.
I'd start a staggered harvest about now.
Take the terminal buds and start them drying along with a popcorn bud or two for testing.
That will yield morning wake and bake bud. Get you moving and working.
Wait about a week, then take the midsection.
It will have more "thump" and duration.

Let the lower branches sit for a few more days for some bedtime, couch lock, sleepy time, pain killer, bud.

Looks very tasty, How does she smell?

Aloha,
Weeze

Reactions: Ina
Top Bottom