How well do ozones work? VS. Carbon filter

• Thread starter PDX420Grower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

Just wondering.. How well do ozones work? I have a buddy that says he wont fuc* with a CF. Hes used em for years instead of scrubbers. Is it just a preference or what? Anybody with experience using em? Whats the pros vs cons?

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

All would depend on the individual grow room enviroment....sealed vs non sealed room, how the air is handled especially....usually a combination of both will work the best.....

I

ibTheMan

Ozone messes shit up and dont listen to your buddy, Carbon Filters are for sure works alot better. Phresh Filters last long and work the best, no if or an's about it. i ran ozone generators long ago, very old school.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
ozone generators are not really all that good for you or your plants

ibtheMan is right - they are old tech - kind of like light movers

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

I'm not even totally sure how an ozone works. How is it harmful?

G

gooey

well it burns your lungs and your plants...i just had this happen to me, mystery problem then finally i got it, they do work but i suggest only using them in outside buildings in a dump room setup...carbon filters are good i liker can and phresh...peace and puffs

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

I'm not even totally sure how an ozone works. How is it harmful?

ozone is o3
oxygen is o2

sort of like water is h2o and peroxide is h2o2

peroxide and ozone have a extra oxygen atom that is unstable so it wants to attach to what ever other molecule that will accept it

cells in your lungs for instance

i'm sure you can research it from there

fwiw

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

Crazy. Does attaching an extra oxygen atom take away odor or does it change the way it smells? When I talked to my friend, I asked him how it worked and he couldn't tell me. He said that all he knew was it worked way better. I already have a new CF and I'm not trying to F up my lungs, I'm just curious as to why he swears by it.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
it kills odor so well if you put it in your room you plants will have no smell

Donnybrook

Donnybrook

Well let me just say this about that ,

I have used an Ozone Generator for years now . The one I have is Controllable on the amount of Ozone output as well as fan speed .

To the Positive :

Ionization or Ozone in the environment if Controlled can be a great help in killing Mold Spores in the air as well as on surfaces around the home and Odors . Ozone can & will travel throughout the home environment it's placed in being strongest in the Immediate area of placement & lesser throughout other adjacent areas . Closer = More Ozone & Further distance from the unit = Lesser Ozone .

If Ozone is To Strong it will cause a Headache & a burning sensation in the eyes so Proper Settings are of the Utmost Importance as well as proper placement .

With that being said now on to the Negatives from my personal findings .

Just recently I wanted to add some extra air movement in my Veg Room so with winter being over I had an extra Honeywell Ionic air cleaner not being used so I placed it in my Veg room for a few months . Things were going good ( So I thought ) .

I started to notice the Mylar on my walls starting to Discolor & loose it's reflectivity almost like a Haze on it in the Immediate area just behind the Ozone/Air Cleaner . So on further inspection I noticed a Black almost like a smoke stain on the unit & it would not wipe off so it was Impregnated into the plastic all over the Honeywell unit . So out with the unit & then a week later I moved the plants into the Bloom Room .

About a week later after the plants were moved I started to notice those Pesky Ozone Burn Spots on the older growth on the plants from being in the Veg room with the Ozone . That feckin C0-3 was taking it's toal . The Honeywell Ionic Air Cleaner had No adjustment nor On/Off switch on the Ozone so obviously it was set way too high by the Chinaman that made the fecker & it was running Full Throttle on the Ozone .

So Obviously running Ozone in a humid environment ( as a grow room ) with Mylar being used creates C0-3 that will Oxidize Metal & will Most Defiantly cause problems with yer plants if set too high on Ozone Output , Live & learn from My Experiences .

So I now have a Larger Output Controllable Ozone Generator running in an adjacent room to my Bloom room set at a lower output & things are lookin great . Dialed down I see No Adverse effects of C0-3 & the Controlled Ozone actually does a great job of controlling Mold , Mildew & Odor to a good extent but not as good as a Carbon Filter .

So in My Opinion if ya have an Ozone Generator use it but keep in mind the C0-3 & Mylar or Metal Oxidation in the area . A Controllable Ozone Output Generator is best & Remember , Sometimes Less is Better .

On a side note , If ya do have an Ozone Generator & ya want to Deodorize yer car place it in yer car & turn it on roll up the windows & let it run fer an hour er two & yer car will smell much better , Just be sure the car is empty of occupants during the Ozoneafacation Process ,,,:icon_dizzy::sick0026:

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Just like with anything else, you must use them "properly" or anything is dangerous and harmful..... even the nutrients we use......Ozone is a very SAFE cost effective and very powerful way to control bad smells but it really has MANY more uses and it will save you an assload of money on filters and other related cost with running "filters only". The best way IMHO is like I stated earlier, use a combo of them both correctly (CF + Ozone) for maximum effectiveness/efficiency.

Dunge

Dunge

This is how I like to think of ozone.
Molecules that smell are called aromatic hydrocarbons.
Ozone has an extra oxygen that it wishes to donate to any taker.
Smelly hydrocarbons grab up this oxygen resulting in a less smelly product.
I use a cheep ozone generator outside my sealed grow tent in the basement.
Anything that escapes the tent gets cleaned prior to reaching my wife's olfactory cells.
This is the ultimate test.
I have the generator rigged to run full time and then place it on a timer to get just the required scrub.

noodles

noodles

I have 2 ozone units and the new canfilter I have works 100% better.

A

Apophis

Ozone may be old school but it works and in my experience it is the only thing that is capable of "completely killing" the smell. It takes a little more than your average ozone generator though, need to get a commercial grade generator and they cost alot. I use a 2,000 mg an hour generator inside a sealed 6k watt 150sqft room and a 14,000 mg and hour commercial generator on 12" exhaust exiting room. I had 4 can filter 100's in same room each with 8" inline fans each with RC-412 carbon and could still smell 100 feet away from house. Never seen a "spot" on plants from O3 or had an issue with growth and doesn't affect co2 levels either. . . never any sinus or lung irritation or any type of health symptom. O3 generators are so much cheaper to operate and maintain...4 8" inline fans at 230watts each is almost 1k not to mention $140 per 25lb of RC-412 carbon which imo needs replaced about every 3-4 months. Couldn't grow the dank and nasty at that location without O3.

The Joker

The Joker

Been searching far an wide for any actual knowledge ( not opinions or guesses) from experience with inline ozone generators.

I use a Phresh filter and with strains like Chemdog D and Pre2 K Blueberry or Original Diesel, the smell goes right through it. Bought a new filter, checked all connections and it was no better than the first. Super stinky strains go right through it.

So I bought the big blue INLINE filter that exposes your exhaust to ozone on the way out. Got it on sale and wanting advise. Everyone uses the old generators, but this one is inline. Can change the bulbs when they wear out, so it's more cost effective than a charcoal filter in the long run.

My plan was to suck air through the Phresh filter, through the hood then pass it through the ozone then outside.

I've found many threads asking about it and they always get answers from people who never read the word INLINE. It's not going to be releasing into the grow room, just into the ducting that exhausts outside.

B

BudWiser

Been searching far an wide for any actual knowledge ( not opinions or guesses) from experience with inline ozone generators.

I use a Phresh filter and with strains like Chemdog D and Pre2 K Blueberry or Original Diesel, the smell goes right through it. Bought a new filter, checked all connections and it was no better than the first. Super stinky strains go right through it.

So I bought the big blue INLINE filter that exposes your exhaust to ozone on the way out. Got it on sale and wanting advise. Everyone uses the old generators, but this one is inline. Can change the bulbs when they wear out, so it's more cost effective than a charcoal filter in the long run.

My plan was to suck air through the Phresh filter, through the hood then pass it through the ozone then outside.

I've found many threads asking about it and they always get answers from people who never read the word INLINE. It's not going to be releasing into the grow room, just into the ducting that exhausts outside.
Hey Joker; I am also interested in the in-line Ozone generator that exits directly out of the grow room... Any more data from your experience? My concern is the Oz is a strong oxidizer and may even corrode the line piping...

treebark1950

treebark1950

I have 4 cap oz-1 and their mini and a big blue inline...

I run tthe cap oz1s utside the flower rooms, they hang above each door to create a wall of ozone. I have two of these by the bay door of the building, and I one more on top on my flower rooms.

I use a 8" big blue INLInE that is on the tail end of my air cooled lights in my veg room. Veg has a can 125, 6 hoods and a 10 max fan, and the last thing before it exits is the big blue.

One thing I can say about inline ozone is that u have to increase the contact time in which the air is mixed with ozone. It won't work well if ur blasting fast air through it without long ducting. On the exit of my veg room I have an extra 25 ' of ducting to increase the contact time of the ozone. Does it work, he'll yea it does. No Matter how well I seal the hoods they still leak and the big blue solved that.

I speak from experience. Ozone is a great tool if used properly.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
ozone will fuck the taste out of your flowers so don't keep it in the same room marinating. .

Latest posts

Top Bottom