HPA (High pressure aeroponic) - first attempt

• Thread starter Kamisama
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kamisama

Hi,

First of all, if anybody have experiences with it I d ve a few questions, just write here and we could talk :)

Originally I wanted to do a fogponic with a fogger but changed my mind because droplets granularity is around 2-5 microns, which is good for clone, germination, seedlings or early veg but thats basically whats it for because of clogging and low limited PPM.
Thats why I ve decided for HPA, which is the right way of fogponic because we can change granularity of droplets from 5-50 by just changing PSI. The best way how to do it is getting air compressor and special nozzles with inlets for air and also for water. U ll need PSI for one nozzle around 25-60 and by just changing this u can easilly control granularity based on plants stage. 25PSI has lower granularity, while 60PSI has higher granularity. Not every nozzle has a high lvl venturi effect, if u cant have nozzle and water output from tank at same or higher level. Some specialized nozzles have this effect on up to 1.5m without using any water pump at all. With lenght of hydraulic tube obviously will decrease PSI.

Componenents:
- ari compressor 50L, 3Kw, 8-10bar
- specialized nozzles, get them on aliexpress or made in china for cheap
- hydrualic tubing
- hydraulic connectors
- solenoid DC
- simple pump for drainage as we dont want water in chamber in liquid form.
- Second timer relay for solenoid
- if your tube is too long, probably also some 1-2 bar water pump with pressure switch
This might solve siphoning nozzle too.

Its possible to do it with diaphragm pump and accumulator tank 5-10L with also specialized nozzles but cost is relativelly same as u need strong pump too with digital pressure switch to change PSI based on plants stage. Rest of the components are same.

I am going to drain it to semitank via gravity from where I ll pump it to main tank by using optical sensors to trigger pump. I am afraid that magnetic sensors might end up malfunctioning because of salts. But it may clogg and pump might end up working much more sooner than air compressor.

Nutrients: (half of whats reccomended for coco)
Masterblend
Calcinit
Epsom salt
Potassium phosphate (flower boost)
MSA
Great white myco or hydrogen peroxide 35% or recharge, mikro myco
Blackjak for micronutrients and PH stabilizator (carbon) or I ll use kelp, fish mix, aloe vera or fulvic acid instead of blackjak cause its from leonardite and messy a lot

Thanks for any advices
Kami.

Last edited:
Z

Zill

Kamisama,

A diaphragm pump may not be able to provide the line pressure you need. Better suited for low to medium flow rates. Also all positive displacement diaphragm pumps generate pulsation. Excessive pulsation can cause vibrations, noise and might lead to system damage.

Zill.

K

Kamisama

Kamisama,

A diaphragm pump may not be able to provide the line pressure you need. Better suited for low to medium flow rates. Also all positive displacement diaphragm pumps generate pulsation. Excessive pulsation can cause vibrations, noise and might lead to system damage.

Zill.
Agree, most of those pumps I ve found are weak for HPA... I ll go for none oil air compressor cause for now its relativelly cheapier and has other uses if neccessary, plus it provides more oxygen to roots I d say.

If I d go for some unknow reason to me now via diaphragm pump path I ve found one brand called shurflo with 150psi and would add accumulator tank of 5-10L, still not sure what size would I pick for 4 nozzles as I dont want a lot of nutrients water sitting in that tank either. I d definitelly hang it instead of having it on floor and outside of tent to prevent any vibration, noise. Saw this trick with air pumps for DWC.

Heres where originally came the idea for diaphragm pumps:

I d use rather this to control PSI, insted of pressure switch... Not sure althought, if it has that function I d expect from it.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005646180721.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.40b5406a8tfBHE&mp=1

Last edited:
Z

Zill

Kami,

Have you considered a shurflow centrifugal pump. They work well and can be finely adjusted. In fact, a rotary lobe pump may allow you to operate without a check valve. Good stuff.

Zill.

K

Kamisama

Kami,

Have you considered a shurflow centrifugal pump. They work well and can be finely adjusted. In fact, a rotary lobe pump may allow you to operate without a check valve. Good stuff.

Zill.
I didnt think about this type but have to be self priming, these has less life shell but are cheapier than the diaphragm pump 8030 from shurflo I was considering. Seems really as a better choice from water pumps. 10 bar trigger 0-6 bar, turn off 2-10 bar but in same category as air compressor in energy efficiency. Problem is that most sellers instead of bars provide flow info litters in minute. Including tank accumulator its in similar price category as air compressor, depends from size of tank. If 5 or 10L max, then its cheapier.
Hopefully solenoid will trigger it.

Some diaphragm pump has also check valve too and its not like that stuff cost fortune on aliexpress.

Top Bottom