HPS Bulb ina MH fixture

• Thread starter redog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

redog

Is it possible to install a MH bulb in a HPS fixture or HPS bulb in a MH fixture?

G

guerilla family

Not unless it is a switchable ballast.. I wouldnt recommend sticking an HPS bulb in a MH fixture or vice versa.. Thats asking for a fire.

GFam

K

KingCrimson

I read a thread on here not to long ago where people were saying that yes it was possible so long as the wattages are correct, however I don't actually know.
I also don't know if that requires a digital balast or if it works with magnetic too.

Either way I'd love to know because I want to buy a hortliux super blue to run in my 1000w mh fixture, but all the ads say it's rated for a 1k hps fixture.

R

Rural_GrowOp

The difference between MH and HPS ballasts is that the HPS needs a starter cap or ignitor and the MH doesn't. To run a mh bulb in a hps ballast you will have to remove the ignitor. Vise Versa you would have to add the ignitor to the mh ballast.

It can be done but PLEASE only try this if you are competent in electronics!!!!

K

KingCrimson

gotcha, thanks for the info.
why I misunderstood:

the igniter thing is brought up later in that same thread though.

D

Dr Herbal

Mate how olds ya ballast all the lights ive brought in the last 3yr can take both hps and mh and theres 2 hobby lights and 2maxibright lights so not the most exspensive infact there the cheapest they sell. what id do is just phone the place where you got it from and ask them bro
peace :)

Top Bottom