HPS lights and Help with information

• Thread starter rivercitydevil
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rivercitydevil

rivercitydevil

I am currently running a 600w HPS bulb and I’m in the first week in veg. The old school kit that was given to me has a 1000w bulb as well. I’m a first time grower and the person who gave me the kit didn’t give me any information as to how to use it. I just been using common sense and I started with the lower wattage bulb but I have no idea when to start with the 1000w bulb if at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ponky

Ponky

1000 watt in a 4x4 gets super hot. Does the ballast have a switch on the back to set it from 600 to 1000 watt?

Brad104

Brad104

Take ponkys advice,if it can't switch from 1000 to 600 only run the 1000 watt bulbs in it.Make sure if it's got a HPS and MH switch too most all bulbs I've seen long and skinny are HPS fat in middle are MH.If you run the wrong bulb on the wrong switch you will not have the system for very much longer and you probably will start a nice fire 🔥 b careful and check ballast for all switches.

rivercitydevil

rivercitydevil

Appreciate all the feedback but the ballast doesn’t have a switch to switch between the two wattages. And as I mentioned earlier in the thread. I have a 600w bulb in it now but was wondering when to switch to a higher wattage ie…the 1000w bulb. Is it just a matter of the distance to achieve good PPFD and not switch between bulbs? That is what I more confused about. Currently humidity, temperature
And PPFD are perfect. I’m 3-4 weeks away from flower stage so I was just wondering if the higher wattage bulb would be better

GrimReffer

GrimReffer

Appreciate all the feedback but the ballast doesn’t have a switch to switch between the two wattages. And as I mentioned earlier in the thread. I have a 600w bulb in it now but was wondering when to switch to a higher wattage ie…the 1000w bulb. Is it just a matter of the distance to achieve good PPFD and not switch between bulbs? That is what I more confused about. Currently humidity, temperature
And PPFD are perfect. I’m 3-4 weeks away from flower stage so I was just wondering if the higher wattage bulb would be better
Typically you would use a MH during veg and a HPS in flower. The difference is the spectrum of light. You should have a switch to go between MH and HPS. 600w is the most efficient but 1000w can get you a little more as long as you can deal with the heat.

chemistry

chemistry

In your position I would buy a 600 watt balast and run the 600 on that, its a funny thing running a thousand watts through a 600 watt bulb, some seem to get away with it, but a lot don't. Ideally you need a 1000 watt balast that switches down to 600 so you can run both. As for a time to swap, I'd use the 600 in veg, then swap out to the 1000 for flower, that's if the 600 is MH and the 1000 is HPS. 👍

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I am currently running a 600w HPS bulb and I’m in the first week in veg. The old school kit that was given to me has a 1000w bulb as well. I’m a first time grower and the person who gave me the kit didn’t give me any information as to how to use it. I just been using common sense and I started with the lower wattage bulb but I have no idea when to start with the 1000w bulb if at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated
HID of that size may be too hot and cook them. Hps in veg will cause greater internode spacing,it immitates light during flowering but it is cooler than halide. Hps gives you 140k lumens or better to build up resin,your strain choice matters as well.

GrimReffer

GrimReffer

In your position I would buy a 600 watt balast and run the 600 on that, its a funny thing running a thousand watts through a 600 watt bulb, some seem to get away with it, but a lot don't. Ideally you need a 1000 watt balast that switches down to 600 so you can run both. As for a time to swap, I'd use the 600 in veg, then swap out to the 1000 for flower, that's if the 600 is MH and the 1000 is HPS. 👍
Wouldn’t a digital ballast be better nowadays? He’s running an old magnet ballast that’s super heavy. The digital ballasts you can run many different bulbs with.

chemistry

chemistry

Wouldn’t a digital ballast be better nowadays? He’s running an old magnet ballast that’s super heavy. The digital ballasts you can run many different bulbs with.

Yes, most seem to be digital as standard these days, digital is what I run, and if he goes dual wattage with different settings he can't go wrong.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I use a 1000w hps mechanical ballast, I started with one and when it finely went after 15 yrs I bought the new digital ballast $250 with a 60%-70% & a 100%-110% switch so you could boost a 600 - 700 & 1000w - 1100w. it lasted 2 years...I bought another 1000w....$250 it lasted less than 2 years....I bought another mechanical kit a year and a bit ago and built another out of the ....3... components....3.....components......each one can be replaced....total cost $113....shipped taxes in.........I have an open room in the basement and I can use the heat from it 10 months of the year......I'd like to switch to a lower intensity late in flower but I have to move the plants or raise the light rather than flip a switch.

GrimReffer

GrimReffer

I use a 1000w hps mechanical ballast, I started with one and when it finely went after 15 yrs I bought the new digital ballast $250 with a 60%-70% & a 100%-110% switch so you could boost a 600 - 700 & 1000w - 1100w. it lasted 2 years...I bought another 1000w....$250 it lasted less than 2 years....I bought another mechanical kit a year and a bit ago and built another out of the ....3... components....3.....components......each one can be replaced....total cost $113....shipped taxes in.........I have an open room in the basement and I can use the heat from it 10 months of the year......I'd like to switch to a lower intensity late in flower but I have to move the plants or raise the light rather than flip a switch.
That is interesting, I have both styles but have not used them yet. I’m thinking of adding one to my room next to a led just for the heat lol

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
A 4*4 can be vegged with a 250W MH at 24/0 and after 6 weeks you 12/12 with a 600W HPS. If it suits your growstyle. There's definitely some cost in electricity saved when you just deliver what's needed and not go overboard. It's making the whole process more efficient. I like the digital 150-250-600-660W digital ones, the SE bulbs are now deadcheap and so you have some flexibility regard internode size or wattage used. I'm using 2 12V PC fans to cool these on a siderack, otherwise they get quite hot, even when they got fins... :/

rivercitydevil

rivercitydevil

Hey I wanted to thank all of you for all your advice and guidance. I’m new to all of this and I’ve been literally learning day to day as the process escalates. I used a digital thermometer to accurately hone in real time PPFD and that made the difference. I posted a couple of pics of my girls. Today is 4 weeks growth. Again thank you for all your help
984FD46F 05B7 4DD2 ACAA 6316E684C115
024DD6D0 BD25 4906 A89C A3944FC0C5B3

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Yes, most seem to be digital as standard these days, digital is what I run, and if he goes dual wattage with different settings he can't go wrong.
The only thing I don't like about digital ballasts is they burn up most light timers.. Does anyone know if they make a good 7 day programmable light timer for digital ballasts, yet? Last I checked, I couldn't find one.... Here's what happens when you put a 1000w digital ballast on a light timer not designed for digital -
20200124_074832-jpg.933359

(It even says not for digital ballasts, but hey, I like to live dangerously) 🤣

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
The only thing I don't like about digital ballasts is they burn up most light timers.. Does anyone know if they make a good 7 day programmable light timer for digital ballasts, yet? Last I checked, I couldn't find one.... Here's what happens when you put a 1000w digital ballast on a light timer not designed for digital -
20200124_074832-jpg.933359

(It even says not for digital ballasts, but hey, I like to live dangerously) 🤣
That looks more like a lose connection problem. I hear what you are saying about digital but there's a lot of current going through those prongs on a 1000w ballast and if one side is just a little bit lose you'll get arcing, heat build up and fires. We all have to see your pic and check all of our electrical connections now.....Its a good practice to get into. warm equipment & plugs are okay hot is not

Deadstill

Deadstill

Supporter
That looks more like a lose connection problem. I hear what you are saying about digital but there's a lot of current going through those prongs on a 1000w ballast and if one side is just a little bit lose you'll get arcing, heat build up and fires. We all have to see your pic and check all of our electrical connections now.....Its a good practice to get into. warm equipment & plugs are okay hot is not
Yeah it wasn't a loose connection that's actually the 2nd light timer that specific ballast has burned up. It's one of these ballasts -
Solistek mh hps grow lights solistek 1000 750 600w se de digital ballast 277v home grown super

I just use it for 600w now because it will fry timers on anything higher.

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
That's strange, so will only when the ballasts are at it burn through or any kind of device around 1000W? Because that's easily reached with a number of typical household devices

But the ballasts for HPS MH have a huge startup voltage I believe around 5k so they may draw too much initial power maybe?

Deadstill

Deadstill

Supporter
That's strange, so will only when the ballasts are at it burn through or any kind of device around 1000W? Because that's easily reached with a number of typical household devices

But the ballasts for HPS MH have a huge startup voltage I believe around 5k so they may draw too much initial power maybe?
I'm not exactly sure what the difference is, but according to Titan's website I guess this is why my timers failed -

Q:Why does the instructions state that this device cannot be used with "digital ballasts"?
A:The wall timers that we offer are not for use with digital or electronic ballasts due to the high in-rush current of the ballast. The in-rush current from electronic/digital ballasts can be from 10 to 40 times the rated amperage for these products and this burns the contacts inside of the timers making them inoperable. We recommend the use of the Apollo 4, 120 Volt or Apollo 5, 240 Volt ballast timer to operate a single digital and electronic ballasts.

So I guess I'll have to look into one of those for the digi's..

Latest posts

Top Bottom