• MH

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • mix of both

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
M

med.botany

i dont know if there is already a thread about this but im just wondering which of the farmers out there prefer to use MH or HPS for veg or a mix??bout to buy a new 600 watt setup just wondering if its really worth to have both MH and HPS or just HPS for veg n flower???
BIG UP THC FARMERS

T

TheNman

MH has always given me less stretching in veg and flipping into flower.
If you're judging "better" on those terms, then i'd have to say MH.

Also, in terms of replicating nature, early-mid summer always has more blue light than the redder late summer to fall days.
This is due to the sun being more directly over head during peak summer than when we start tilting back away from the sun for winter.
More atmosphere to shine though = more particles the photons will hit = predominantly the longer, more red spectrum wavelengths reach us.

Just something to keep in mind.

N

Nuglover

I use HPS but only because it's the only HID's I own(although one bulb puts out quite a bit of blue). I do use CFL's in the blue spectrum as well.

Z

Zen

I'm curious about this as well. I changed my 1000 watt MH on a light mover to 2 400watt ceramics hoping it would resolve my stretch problems but it has not. I just put them onto some yoyo's so I can move the lights down lower/closer to them... I really hope this does the trick because adding additional lights is not an option for me. The last resort is changing them to HPS.

What is everyone else currently using for Veg... I always though MH was standard for veg and HPS for flower?

B

boxmunch9

i just started using MH for veg. def stronger branches and nodeing. I probably will not go back to Hps for veg.
also if you get a tek-5 about 3inches above your plants you will get the tightest noding you've ever seen. you just have to watch the plants everyday because they grow right into the bulbs and burn, but that also means they are growing 2inch a day. shows you how fast they grow when the lumens only travel 3 inchs

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
i just started using MH for veg. def stronger branches and nodeing. I probably will not go back to Hps for veg.
also if you get a tek-5 about 3inches above your plants you will get the tightest noding you've ever seen. you just have to watch the plants everyday because they grow right into the bulbs and burn, but that also means they are growing 2inch a day. shows you how fast they grow when the lumens only travel 3 inchs

have to agree with boxmunch9, I really like to keep my cuttings under floro's for as long as possible purely for the tight internodal growth which obviously makes a shorter bushier plant and when combined with some timely topping and cropping of the plants you can get some monsters ready for the flower room. I use my 250mh and 400mh for transition purposes mainly. It's a hell of a shock factor going straight from floro's to a 1k flower room.

jj

R

Rural_GrowOp

Damn jadin your making me think I need another light now. I've been going straight from my t5 for veg to a 2K flower room. How much of a difference did you notice with the transitional lights?

W

wpw

I use CFL for early veg then move em under a 250w MH then under a 400w MH before going into 1800w of MH & HPS for flower...1 1kw MH & 2 400w HPS...

If the plants are destined for outdoor planting they will veg under the 400w MH the entire time.

Peace...wpw

M

med.botany

yeah i wanna see what other people are using cause i just purchased off a new friend and 600 HPS sunsystem 10 ballast, sun system air cooled hood, and a 600 watt HPS bulb for $225...the ballast is brand new from sun system, right outta da box..stoked about this lamp deal..now i can flower my urkle mother

i just wanna see if ill be ok for a while till i can afford another light system

R

Rural_GrowOp

That light will work bro. The hps will stretch em a little more is all. When I first started growing thats what I did and I always got good results.
Rock em.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
yeah i wanna see what other people are using cause i just purchased off a new friend and 600 HPS sunsystem 10 ballast, sun system air cooled hood, and a 600 watt HPS bulb for $225...the ballast is brand new from sun system, right outta da box..stoked about this lamp deal..now i can flower my urkle mother

i just wanna see if ill be ok for a while till i can afford another light system

med.botany I am going to get laughed off of the forum for telling you this trick but I only pass along info on something I have personally done, not just read about.

Back when I was first getting a system up and running all I had was one HPS ballast and like yours it was a 1K. A friend told he had done this so I tried it and it worked great.

You CAN run a MH bulb in a HPS ballast, you CAN NOT run a HPS bulb in a MH ballast. I ran that bulb for several months then passed it on with the ballast to a fellow Farmer here. Both are still working fine.

Believe me, don't believe me. Up to you but it can be done.

jj

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Damn jadin your making me think I need another light now. I've been going straight from my t5 for veg to a 2K flower room. How much of a difference did you notice with the transitional lights?

Can't put a number to it RG but I would consistantly burn some leaf tips during transition to flower probably due to the heigth restrictions I had in my old place. The use of those lower watt HID's seemed to limit the amount of damage in transition.

If you've got room to distance the 1k intially at flower the other lights really wouldn't be necessary but for me I got 'em so I use 'em.

jj

M

med.botany

med.botany I am going to get laughed off of the forum for telling you this trick but I only pass along info on something I have personally done, not just read about.

Back when I was first getting a system up and running all I had was one HPS ballast and like yours it was a 1K. A friend told he had done this so I tried it and it worked great.

You CAN run a MH bulb in a HPS ballast, you CAN NOT run a HPS bulb in a MH ballast. I ran that bulb for several months then passed it on with the ballast to a fellow Farmer here. Both are still working fine.

Believe me, don't believe me. Up to you but it can be done.

jj

woooorrrdd...yeah i've never heard about runnin it like that but since its what i got im most likely gonna try it out eventually..thanks for the tip JJ

J

Jalisco Kid

You have to do some wiring to switch hps/mh. You need to remove the ignitor. JK

M

med.botany

thanks for the heads up about having to change some wiring..if it need be ill work on the ballast like JK is talking about...other than that im ready to get this party started!!!:party0044:

Top Bottom