Huglekultur Am I The Only One?

• Thread starter Newenglander
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
3N1GM4

3N1GM4

I have never tried but it sounds very interesting, what type of wood do you use and do you cover it with anything besides just dirt?

I was thinking of doing some outdoor and this sounds perfect.

Newenglander

Newenglander

wow just realized it autocorrected hugelkultur wrong huh. Anyway I personally just use any rotten wood on my property mix of asp maple cypress etc. The idea started while growing leyland cypress and dwarf fruit trees around the border of my backyard.

Ive decided this next year too build a small carport greenhouse over one and see how much longer I can extend my season this year the kulturs stayed warm enough to actually melt snow on top of my mounds I'm thinking possibly it might help warm a small enclosure. Any ideas?

Reeferkief

Reeferkief

Not to familiar with the thermal affects in relation to snow and extended seasons but it is definitely plausible, and something I'll be looking more into for sure. I built multiple hugelkultur beds very recently and plan to do all my outdoor growing in hugelkultur beds. I used old natural wood and debris(specific types of wood not recommended, would have to look), I also did some layering and added IMO3 and compost. I mounded the beds and heavily mulched and watered it all in with Protozoa Tea.

I'm really looking forward to my hugelkultur bed experience, hope to extend the season, increase water retention, and benefit my local environment.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have a couple of smaller hugel beds, but I haven't done cannabis in them. This last season's experiment was aquaponics cannabis. Got too late of a start to really get much other than the ability to say I did it with them.

We're mostly a mixed coniferous forest here, mostly pine (sugar? I don't know which specie), a good bit of incense cedar and some fir. We also have some deciduous trees, mostly oak and madrone, a bit of native dogwood. We generally don't cut those down, but the pine are weeds and super prone to dying from the beetle. I can see more trees so affected in our little valley here these past few months. Many owners just leave them, I wish they'd take them down.

Top Bottom