Humbled first time grower

• Thread starter Badcableman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Badcableman

Badcableman

Hello folks. I've had my medical card for a few years, but with the ever-increasing prices at the dispensary (and the inconsistently inconsistent quality or potency despite lab testing & labelling), this year I finally decided to try my hand at growing my own medical cannabis. I must say, I am humbled by all of the outstanding photos of all the pristine cannabis being grown by all of the experienced growers on this site.

That said, I know I got a late start for my growing zone this year. I am a competent casual gardener, usually having reasonably good success growing vegetables and some landscaping flowers & etc. I started my vegetable seeds indoors at the end of March and moved them out to the greenhouse in mid-April due to favorable (read unseasonably mild) conditions. Unfortunately, I didn't commit to growing cannabis until that point in time; hence, I am at least a month or more behind pretty much everybody else.

I popped 6 seeds from a tube of mixed genetics, mixed strains, and mixed types (photo vs auto) of regular (non-femenized) seeds. All 6 germinated and were put into 5" pots. 1 was culled due to seedling/plant deformation which would not have been viable or productive. 1 was lost to unknown insect damage to the main stem. 2 ended up being males and culled, leaving 2 females, which were put into 5 gallon containers at the beginning of July.

The weather here in MI has been unseasonably warm and very humid by MI standards. 1 plant remained only 3" high without hardly node spacing and strange branching. The other grew a single stem with well-spaced nodes and is now perhaps 15" tall. Making a long story short, just this week, I discovered the short plant had hermied and was culled. I am of the opinion it was likely a hermie autoflower, and now I am left with the single regular photoperiod plant. FWIW, the plant is showing signs of stress (3-lobed fan leaves), likely from high temps and humidity.

I've taken the liberty of attaching a few photos of my remaining plant. My question at this point would be is it worth growing this plant out given my late start? Or am I fighting an uphill battle?

Humbled first time grower
Humbled first time grower 2
Humbled first time grower 3
Humbled first time grower 4
Humbled first time grower 5
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Hello folks. I've had my medical card for a few years, but with the ever-increasing prices at the dispensary (and the inconsistently inconsistent quality or potency despite lab testing & labelling), this year I finally decided to try my hand at growing my own medical cannabis. I must say, I am humbled by all of the outstanding photos of all the pristine cannabis being grown by all of the experienced growers on this site.

That said, I know I got a late start for my growing zone this year. I am a competent casual gardener, usually having reasonably good success growing vegetables and some landscaping flowers & etc. I started my vegetable seeds indoors at the end of March and moved them out to the greenhouse in mid-April due to favorable (read unseasonably mild) conditions. Unfortunately, I didn't commit to growing cannabis until that point in time; hence, I am at least a month or more behind pretty much everybody else.

I popped 6 seeds from a tube of mixed genetics, mixed strains, and mixed types (photo vs auto) of regular (non-femenized) seeds. All 6 germinated and were put into 5" pots. 1 was culled due to seedling/plant deformation which would not have been viable or productive. 1 was lost to unknown insect damage to the main stem. 2 ended up being males and culled, leaving 2 females, which were put into 5 gallon containers at the beginning of July.

The weather here in MI has been unseasonably warm and very humid by MI standards. 1 plant remained only 3" high without hardly node spacing and strange branching. The other grew a single stem with well-spaced nodes and is now perhaps 15" tall. Making a long story short, just this week, I discovered the short plant had hermied and was culled. I am of the opinion it was likely a hermie autoflower, and now I am left with the single regular photoperiod plant. FWIW, the plant is showing signs of stress (3-lobed fan leaves), likely from high temps and humidity.

I've taken the liberty of attaching a few photos of my remaining plant. My question at this point would be is it worth growing this plant out given my late start? Or am I fighting an uphill battle?
indoor or outdoor?
somethings messed up with your light and dark hours? flowering/revegging?

Badcableman

Badcableman

GNick55, thanks for your reply. My grow is purely outdoor. When the plants were in 5" pots, they were kept inside the greenhouse during the evening (to avoid cool nights) and during inclement weather. Otherwise they were kept outside in full sunlight during daylight hours. Soil is comprised of organic potting soil amended with topsoil and Jobe's organic 2-5-3 tomato food per instructions.

I should add that both females (including the culled hermie auto) showed sex early. The remaining plant also exhibited skunky odor very strong and very early.

I dont know enough to say definitively that the remaining plant is revegging, since it was never put into flower. The only light they've seen is from the sun itself. The plants have gotten identical treatment as my Dr. Weyche yellow and Black Krim tomatoes... Which did well early but did not set top fruits due to heat & humidity stress but set bottom fruit nicely.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
mmm, not sure,
ive never grown autos maybe the slight changes in sunlight and green house was enough to cause this??
maybe someone else will know..

Badcableman

Badcableman

I'd have to believe that my remaining plant has indeed been stressed. Whether it be a light issue (that's on Mother Nature) or a greenhouse issue (that's on me) or most likely heat & humidity issues (again Mother Nature), I've come to accept that for this year, it is what it is. I've learned several valuable lessons (which is part of the goal) which won't be repeated next year. Get quality genetics... not some mystery tube seeds. My preference is leaning towards feminized indica photoperiod. Start seeds indoors at the same time I start my vegetables. Start with solo cups and move up to 5 gallon containers. Use the greenhouse only to protect from cool nights and severe weather. The list goes on. I'm trying to adhere to the KISS philosophy.

I'm going to leave her 100% out in the open unless severe weather threatens and grow her out just to see what I get. i see it as a learning opportunity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom