Humic Acid - What and Why

• Thread starter BillyBanchan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BillyBanchan

#Humic acid... What is it? What's so funny?!

Earthgreen says, "Humic acids are fully decomposed remains of organic life. They're long-chain molecules that are high in weight and dark brown in color. They are not a single acid. Rather, "humic acid" is a broad term that refers to a complex mixture of many different acids that are soluble in alkaline solutions. They exist naturally as part of nature's life cycle in soils, oceans, and streams."
reference

They go on to list many benefits:

• Increases nutrient uptake
• Increases water-holding capacity in soil
• Improves the overall soil structure.
• Stimulates microbial activity
• Regulates the pH-value of soils.
• Chelates toxins from the soil.
• Helps to eliminate iron chlorosis by increasing iron uptake
• Improves overall plant health, helping plants better resist predators and disease
• Stimulates root growth, which increases crop volume
• Increases germination

Earth Smart Solutions lists an interesting ecological benefit, but this seems to be a direct benefit for soil growers:

"Humic acids reduce over-salination problems in application of water soluble mineral fertilizers. Humic acids are able to decrease high salt contents in soils and resulting toxicities. Especially the NH4-toxicity of fertilizers containing ammonia is reduced, which is of great importance for young plants. Generally, #Humic acids reduce root burning which comes about through excessive salt concentrations in soils after fertilization. Also when humic acids are mixed with liquid fertilizers. The undesirable smell is diminished."
reference

Sounds like good stuff to me!

General Hydroponics has a humic acid product and their application rates are:

• Seedlings & Cuttings: Mix 1-2 ml per liter (1-2 tsp per Gallon) in water or diluted nutrient solution.
  • Hydroponics: Use 1-2 ml per liter (1-2 tsp per Gallon) in water or diluted nutrient solution. Replace with each nutrient change.
  • Soil Application: Mix 3 ml per liter (3 tsp per Gallon) in water/ fertilizer mix with every application.
  • Foliar Spray Application: Mix 50 ml per liter (6 fl. oz per Gallon) in water. Spray both sides of foliage until wet every 7-14 days. For best result combine with nutrients.
reference

See what's out there and what will work for your setup. Please add or correct anything here, and post your experiences with using humic acid.

hzydze

hzydze

I bought some Mr. Humic and have used it on 2 feedings now. I wish I would've bought it during veg but let's see how it affects the plants now as they are going into week 6 of flower. From everything I've read it seems to be beneficial.

Top Bottom