Humidity control question

• Thread starter BlakDogAlpha
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BlakDogAlpha

Hi all, my first post here. I am starting up a new grow and have some local expert guidance, but am having an issue with humidity control.
I have a basement setup, with a plan for multiple 4x4 tents (one currently) side by side running a variant 3 bucket/2 plant scrog bubbler hydro system, 600 wt lights, vortex fan, portable dehumidifier, and carbon scrubber/fan. I also have a spot fan for circulation. As I am just setting this up, I ran some pre-growth tests to debug my system. My weather here is fairly constant with about 65% humidity. I ran my dehumidifier in and out of my tent for 2-3 days to see how well it would reduce aiming for 50%. We got some rain, and the outside humidity went up to 98%, and my hydrometer began to match temperature to humidity almost exactly, 72 degree temp was matched by 72% humidity, and thats about how low it would go, it didnt matter where I put the dehumidifier. My basement is wide open and the only enclosure is the canvas tent itself.

Should I add an ac unit, vent the tent for more airflow, build walls outside my tent and enclose the room, or just run at 70% humidity knowing that's high for growth?

In my test I didnt run lights or other ventilation, I was trying to dial in the dehumidifier, so I am hoping fans plus lights more or less balance out on temperature. Because I live in a cold climate, I plan to use the lights somewhat to heat the space plus supplemental heat in winter.

Thanks in advance for your replies, I am sure I will have more questions as time goes by.

dutch69lover

dutch69lover

I say run all your lights and fans for a day and see what happens then. If it's still too high I'd look into having a bigger dehumidifier for your basement..... Which if you live in a wet climate might be the main reason for high humidity and building walls around your tent won't solve anything with a damp basement. If you already have the biggest dehumidifier you can find you may need 2 of them and ac unit too. For now run all your lights and fans for a day to compare results then attack from there

Top Bottom