Humidity readings differ 13% between dehuey and Accurite Temp/RH sensor

• Thread starter GuySmiley
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GuySmiley

GuySmiley

The dehuey Is rated at 50 pints and us made by TECCPO. I bought it from Amazon . Until today, the dehumidifier has only been plugged in for maybe 10 or 15 minutes for a couple test runs. I'm starting week 3 of flower now so the RH is higher than I want it. I noticed the gap between the two devices during the test runs so I plugged it in and set the target for 70%. It ran until it until it showed 62% when it shut off. Accurite showed 49% at the same time.

The Accurite gauge is 5' away from the dehuey. Gonna see where I need to set the dehuey at so the Accurite shows something close to 50%. Anyone else have a similar case with their stuff?
Humidity readings differ 13 between dehuey and accurite temprh sensor
Humidity readings differ 13 between dehuey and accurite temprh sensor 2

Last edited:
Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
I did a while ago and then realized how moisture and air pockets work. Maybe the position of the unit next to the wall is affecting it's reading compared to one with possible airflow around them. have you put them directly next to each other to see if the gap decreases?

GuySmiley

GuySmiley

I did a while ago and then realized how moisture and air pockets work. Maybe the position of the unit next to the wall is affecting it's reading compared to one with possible airflow around them. have you put them directly next to each other to see if the gap decreases?
I'll put the Accurite right on top of the dehuey and see what happens. I put the dehuey at 45° to corner in the room. I figured the gap behind the unit was enough to allow it to do it's thing. My grow is roughly 10'x14'.

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

I noticed the gap between the two devices during the test runs so I plugged it in and set the target for 70%.

I have had half a dozen of the Accurite hygrometers. (Tent has 3 zones.) Same unit but from 3 or 4 different stores.

I tested them a few times and found the humidity to always be the same but temp could be 1*c off on one unit.

When placed in the tent they can be off from each other as air flow, dead pocket, fan direction, obstruction, you name it can make a slight difference.

I also have Ridgeline hydrometer with 3 sensors that match the Accurite models and the probe for the AC Infinity controller. All are close to each other but not exactly the same all the time.

E

elusiveshame

Moisture in the air isn't the same everywhere. You'd need multiple hygrometers in multiple spots at multiple heights to get an average. The devices are measuring the moisture in the air they're sitting in, not a foot away from them.

Madmax

Madmax

Put your probe at canopy level as that’s where to take your readings from..as said .have a few of them positioned around the room and plenty of air movement.a big room like that the dehuey would work better positioned near the middle of the room..

GuySmiley

GuySmiley

It turns out the dehuey takes longer to reach a steady-state reading. With the set point at 65%. the dehuey display kept slowly dropping without the machine running. It took almost an hour, but now they're within 3% of each other. Close enough for me.
I will keep an eye on things to see if they stay in agreement. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Last edited:
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
It turns out the dehuey takes longer to reach a steady-state reading. With the set point at 65%. the dehuey display kept slowly dropping without the machine running. It took almost an hour, but now they're within 3% of each other. Close enough for me.
I will keep an eye on things to see if they stay in agreement. Thanks everyone for the replies.
dehumidifier bought from amazon is junk and won’t last..
people please quit wasting your hard earned money on amazon crap!..

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

dehumidifier bought from amazon is junk and won’t last..
people please quit wasting your hard earned money on amazon crap!..
I used to be buy once, cry once. But sometimes you need something that works “good enough” until the best bang for the buck goes on sale.

Different times...

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
if i ever see these old ones at a garage sale, thrift store, etc for $40-50 or cheaper i’ll buy them as i’ve never had one of these breakdown.. i take them somewhat apart to give a good cleaning as i’m ocd.. haha
even old metal fans with an actual motor seem to just keep working and working, i have a few small ones for smaller plants and other than cleaning they are still working perfectly..
1459C0C1 A5F8 4B3A AA31 B772C3F9083A

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

^^^^^^^
Got one of them right now. It was my moms from at least 35+ years ago.

Have an old deep freezer that’s out lasted 3 others family have bought. It’s older than the dehumidifier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom