Humus - Ted Talk With Graeme Sait

• Thread starter Canalchemist
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Really enlightening Ted Talk, take 20 mins and watch he covers a lot of topics, and you can see when you put it all together how growing organically is more than just producing a great product.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
At 1:30, as he's discussing etymology, I find the word 'hubris' pops into mind. :eek:

More commenting as I listen to the talk. Cuz that's how my ADD ass rolls! :p

Ok, just before 6:00, he says that there exists on the earth all the C molecules that will ever exist, and he proceeds to name where the C resides. Don't we also enjoy a little C rain through all the stuff that falls on us from outer space, though...? I know it may not be a lot, but to me it still begs the wondering.

Point around 9:00 regarding composting, I just finished an article discussing how a county muni in Maryland, and a technical college in Vermont, are beginning experiments with doing just this!

Last edited:
Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Can you post the article? I am passionate about composting, it feels natural, like this is the way it is suppose to be, I think if we could all be mandated to grow 50 or sixty plants and compost all the unused matter we could turn this thing around. I do not like the green bin idea, it still takes trucks to burn fuel to pick it up and it still uses heavy equipment to handle it. If we all handled our own chunk of waste we wouldn't need to do any of this nonsense. Back in the 30's and 40's on the farm we pooped in a hole in the out house, hole fills up dig a new hole, the manure went on the fields and all table scraps went to dogs or barnyard animals or the garden along with all the ash from the woodstove.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It's in hardcopy, Acres, USA magazine. I'll have to see if I can find anything online written about these pilot projects.

I'm not so bothered by the green bin thing because most people are still having garbage removal done at their homes, this would simply be an add-on. It would also seriously reduce the amount of waste put in the landfill that could otherwise be used to generate power and/or compost.

Oh! Ok, not the actual article, but the actual pilot projects that were discussed. :D

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

I agree with the green bin for those in condos or apartments who do not have a piece of land. If all of us land owners compost and use the Humus generated from that compost to amend the soil on our specific piece of land then we regenerate the soil structure on a larger geographical area using zero fossil fuels. The geen bin is picked up your right, however those compost piles need to be turned. They are turned using heavy equipment that burn fossil fuels, where by defeating impart the ideology of composting. I turn my compost with a pitch fork, I leave the tractor in the shed unless absolutely needed.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I no longer have sufficient strength/lack of pain to be able to do something like turn a compost pile, so everything goes into a pile and stays there. :o

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Sounds like a candidate for Bokashi... Heard of people growing with Bokashi with a PH of 4

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That's exactly my thinking, but my three attempts at starting an EM-1 didn't work out well, and I gave up the effort.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

I have some on the go right now, actually it is Lactobacillus, and also I did the rice thing with some humus from the forest, made a nice earthy white layer, and then almost solidified the rice into a chunk, I had to break it up to add it to the compost. a few days later my compost was steaming like sauna lol.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I didn't use any of the duff layer. Nothing that can qualify as humus out here, it's the duff layer then the clay. And rock.

Top Bottom