Hvac Guys! Need Ya Again...

• Thread starter Slowitdown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Slowitdown

Slowitdown

I got a three ton AC unit that wasn't being used in my room. I was using it to heat the outside of the room. Anyway, we decided to build ductwork and shoot the air straight into the room and use the 3 tons for AC in the room. Basically, I got the sheet metal built to connect to the unit and shoot straight into the room in one big duct. Finished everything and fired her up and the fan wasn't pushing the air out at all. I felt the cold ass air but it was just very weak like basically no air pushing in. When I used the unit for heat it was shooting air out strong as fuck. Now, that I connected that one duct and shot it into the room its like the fan is not pushing. What could be causing this to happen?

blazer

blazer

Possibly the size of your duct if it's to large it will loose all its velocity, return Air needs to be proper size also.
Also is It a standard unit or mini-split?

Last edited:
Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Return air was never messed with. So, the return air should be straight.

blazer

blazer

What's the main difference now in your setup?
Did it have duct work when heating garage?
Duct sizes?
Length of your duct run?
Blower seems to running ok?

sixstring

sixstring

Assuming its a heat pump style ac and you have a air handler inside right? A pic of the indoor unit with new duct would be helpfull for size ref and length of run.did you close off the area/duct you were using for hot air?if one is short and one run long the air will travel to least resistance . Maybe your airhadler is only set up to have the blower on during heat but no switching in the cooling setting ? How many turns in the new duct,they should be sweeping turns close to the unit as opposed to 90 degree sharp turns for better flow.but pics would really help and confirming your blower is set to high speed for cooling.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

What's the main difference now in your setup?
Did it have duct work when heating garage?
Duct sizes?
Length of your duct run?
Blower seems to running ok?

The difference now is this. Before the ductwork had like 6 different 6 inch holes where air where going to various spots. I capped all those off and ran one big piece of duct into the room.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Assuming its a heat pump style ac and you have a air handler inside right? A pic of the indoor unit with new duct would be helpfull for size ref and length of run.did you close off the area/duct you were using for hot air?if one is short and one run long the air will travel to least resistance . Maybe your airhadler is only set up to have the blower on during heat but no switching in the cooling setting ? How many turns in the new duct,they should be sweeping turns close to the unit as opposed to 90 degree sharp turns for better flow.but pics would really help and confirming your blower is set to high speed for cooling.

No air handler inside it is not a residential unit. The unit looks something like this -

Top Bottom