HVAC guys please help! Exhaust fan with no intake?

• Thread starter GI Grow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GI Grow

OK guys and girls,

here's the deal. I have searched and can't really find a definitive answer to this question, just a lot of differing opinions.

I have a 10x18 that I am currently building out. Of this space, 10x10 will be dedicated flowering space and 8x10 will be committed to veg area. My setup is going to be 4x100W ran parallel in the flower room with a 600W in the veg area and a T5 setup for the babies.

I will be running a 2 ton 24000 BTU minsplit for the flowering room and plan on placing two 650 cfm fans on the wall that joins the flower to the veg room. One on each side of a door that will be in the middle of that wall in order to somewhat recycle the room. Hopefully, one of these fans will suck the split conditioned air from the flowering room and into the veg room, thereby, regulating the temp of the veg room and the other will suck the air out of the veg room into the flower room, recycling the treated air.

Does this sound like it will work?

Secondly, Is it possible to use only an exhaust fan to vent the air from my ducted hoods out of the growroom? My intake options are limited and don't really want to cut holes in the side of the house if not necessary. Is it possible to exhaust air out of the room with an exhaust fan that isn't connected to an intake, just sucking it right out of the room? Would this defeat my AC or could it be controlled by hanging the ducting higher int he rook?

I was hoping that I could suck the air out of the room by tapping into the dryer exhaust vent and placing an exhaust fan right before the new junction to the dryer vent, which would be tied into the ducting from my parallel hoods. Does this sound like it will work or am I going to require and intake in order to evacuate the heat from the ducted hoods?

Sorry for the long post, trying to be as detailed as possible here.

Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

MEGA956

MEGA956

//Look at some of GrowMaster threads! Theres more info there on EVERYTHING to get
started. Just search his name and click on one of his threads and your all set. May
I recommend you to read ALL of them involving grow room setup! GoodLuck!

Dz1PnK

Dz1PnK

gi: two 650cfm fans for exchange is overkill(overkill good :D) as long as light isnt leaking through, i seriously doubt youre gonna be able to effectively exhaust 4k in hid's through a 4" dryer vent opening(try breathing through a straw). if u try n exhaust without intake youre gonna have problems. not many rooms are air tight so itll happen. youll hear whistling from the cracks around the door from air trying to be pulled in, this also puts extra stress on your exhaust fan(imagine trying to inhale through a bong thats clogged, u can but your lungs get tired quicker from trying harder to inhale). all these things sound like theyre gonna burn out your fans. it also depends where you are geographically. the temps outside have a direct relation to temps inside. whats the point in bringing outside air into your room if its over 100 degrees outside? in fact, try keepin the air out if theres a passive vent n its hot outside. turning off the intake fans still lets heat in. sounds like u answered one of your own questions, if u vent the cool air out your ac has to work harder/run more. if possible, the crawlspace can work good for intake exhaust for the lights ( theres already gable vents to intake/exhaust fresh air without, being seen from outside, or cutting through more than drywall. too much fun, i love the whole design aspect of setting up a room. hope u have some fun along with some good luck -Dz-

G

GI Grow

Mega: Thanks for that info there. He does have some good info on setups.
DZ: I live in the desert and during the summer, we have triple digit F temps, I don't have a crawlspace and it is a 2 story house in which the planned room will be on the lower level, in the garage. Although the air being pulled in from an intake will be hot, would it really make that much of a difference as it would be being evac'd? Really, the intake would only give the fan on the real exhaust vent a source from which to suck the air out. If I decide to use an intake, I was planning on just cutting a whole in the stucco, placing a dryer vent on it, ducting it throughout the room, then placing a fan on it and exhausting out the real dryer vent on the other end of the room. The hot intake air would never leave the ducting. Do you think, living in a desert climate, that it would be beneficial to intake/exhaust given the cooling costs or just to maintain a sealed room?

Latest posts

Top Bottom