Hvac/r Mechanical Engineer

• Thread starter OGPunkrocker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MrBlah

MrBlah

I used to be an HVAC and mechanical engineer. Designed everything from refrigeration equipment to commercial buildings. It was fun. Up until the part where my boss didn't believe me when I said he and his wife(sales) were misrepresenting and flat out lying to the customers.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Welcome to the farm.
For total control of a dehumidifier with a plc. (turn on compressor and.or fan. )
What industrial dehumidifier would you recommend?

Have you worked with tridium?

Thanks for your time.

MrBlah

MrBlah

Most normal RTUs these days have an option for hot gas reheat so they work like a dehumidifier when they need to and they work like a normal AC unit when more cooling is needed. Daikin and Trane RTUs do, at least. Many have an option for variable compressors as well as control packs to work with building automation systems.

I have not worked with Tridium.

MrBlah

MrBlah

These bry-air de humidifiers i can get the RH down to single digits in a environmental test chamber.

http://bry-air.com

Bry Air makes desiccant dehumidifiers, so, not surprised. In the operation of commercial cannabis facilities, it's just unnecessary to reach that. However, it doesn't preclude them being useful, mostly due to the loads that are put on a dehumidifier. Desiccant units always use less power than a unit that does hot gas reheat, but it is also more expensive as a capital investment and it it also a 1 trick pony. Most desiccant units don't do cooling, so it is an addition on top of the rest of your HVAC equipment.

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
Bry Air makes desiccant dehumidifiers, so, not surprised. In the operation of commercial cannabis facilities, it's just unnecessary to reach that. However, it doesn't preclude them being useful, mostly due to the loads that are put on a dehumidifier. Desiccant units always use less power than a unit that does hot gas reheat, but it is also more expensive as a capital investment and it it also a 1 trick pony. Most desiccant units don't do cooling.
Mines can control hot and wet, hot and dry, cold and wet , cold and dry extreme conditions. It is very difficult to get cold and dry and hot and wet in my test chamber. It gets there but takes a day or 2 some times. And this is not a grow chamber but to test equipment operation in extreme conditions.

MrBlah

MrBlah

Mines can control hot and wet, hot and dry, cold and wet , cold and dry extreme conditions. It is very difficult to get cold and dry and hot and wet in my test chamber. It gets there but takes a day or 2 some times. And this is not a grow chamber but to test equipment operation in extreme conditions.

If you want some help getting hot and wet just stick a pool of warm/hot water in your test chamber. Like those kiddy pools. It should evaporate pretty quick.

blazer

blazer

Surprised know one uses liebert systems they do it all cool,humidify,dehumidify just set you parameters and your rolling, probably the sticker shock
But would imagine with these bigger grows would be a wash with all the extra units and controls you got put in and tweak to do the same stuff

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
View attachment 564805
If you want some help getting hot and wet just stick a pool of warm/hot water in your test chamber. Like those kiddy pools. It should evaporate pretty quick.
That is unacceptable in a test chamber man what kinda engineer are you lol. I use Nortec humidifiers.

MrBlah

MrBlah

Surprised know one uses liebert systems they do it all cool,humidify,dehumidify just set you parameters and your rolling, probably the sticker shock
But would imagine with these bigger grows would be a wash with all the extra units and controls you got put in and tweak to do the same stuff

The Liebert line from Emerson is designed for datacenters and the needs of datacenters. So, much of their equipment is designed to fit in a standard rack width/depth and there's also some special units used for raised floor datacenters. This means it's more expensive than it needs to be for growing plants indoors.

And yes, they have equipment that does do it all. But being able to do everything is just an option on most modern RTUs and unitary HVAC equipment. I can buy an RTU with hot gas reheat, gas heat, and humidification if I wanted to.

blazer

blazer

They are much more heavy duty than a RTU Why I would think they would fit in a grow op perfect, a large one anyways to justify cost just saying they are a good option

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
Oh gees, didn't realize you were going for 90% RH. Carry on!

Often times, hot and wet to me is 70%+ RH and 90°F+
It's cool I'm just thinking with a chamber like I service I can basically simulate any enviroment in the world to be able to grow a particular strain to the environmental specs from where they came from to achieve the perfect grow on any specific variety.

MrBlah

MrBlah

They are much more heavy duty than a RTU Why I would think they would fit in a grow op perfect a large one anyways to justify cost just saying they are a good option

Here's the thing, they aren't "more heavy duty" because such a thing doesn't really exist as a scale of measurement in the commercial HVAC world. Maybe you can consider the big water cooled chillers to be more heavy duty, but the fact of the matter is, there is not a "more heavy duty" piece of equipment. A unit that uses heavier gauge steel? Just more expensive than it needs to be for the exact same performance. These kinds of things don't get moved, ever.

Vapor compression refrigeration equipment, whether used for HVAC or what ever, uses two types of heat exchangers. Copper coil with Aluminum fins or Aluminum coil with Aluminum fins. The copper coiled versions can be a little more compact, at most. Maybe you can consider the copper to be "more heavy duty" but pretty much all RTUs use copper coils due to the need to be a little more compact. If you want to consider the compresor, sure a screw compressor will tend to last longer than a scroll compressor, but Liebert equipment undoubtedly used Copeland scroll compressors because Emerson owns both Liebert and Copeland and it's an easy way to improve their bottom line.

blazer

blazer

Yup your an engineer alright lol
They use 06d compressor which is much more heavy duty than what's in a RTU the compressor is the heart
But we are arguing about stupid shit
Liebert is badass and more heavy duty and would work phenomenally in a grow op.

MrBlah

MrBlah

Yup your an engineer alright lol
They use 06d compressor which is much more heavy duty than what's in a RTU the compressor is the heart
But we are arguing about stupid shit
Liebert is badass and more heavy duty and would work phenomenally in a grow op.

I'm actually surprised to learn they use a reciprocating compressor.

blazer

blazer

Yup I've worked on them that's why I know they are more heavy duty components than a typical commercial unit
Some of there small 5ton and smaller use copelands though
But they tend to use the better stuff more heavy duty stuff they work hard 24/7 like you said for the critical data rooms server rooms

Top Bottom