Hybrid lighting(overhead and vert). Thoughts?

• Thread starter dankworth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dankworth

dankworth

I am thinking 2/3 overhead for wattage, classic 1k covering a 4x4 square type thing. 62.5 watts/ft2 and all. Over a scrog.
And then 1k vert, placed between scrog screens, placed low to light up stuff.
So that instead of scrogging and shaving up to the screen, leaving more on the bottom, and lighting it up with the vert. So more weight per plant with lower veg time vs. a pure scrog. Smaller canopy footprint for same plant count and room wattage.
Any thoughts?

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Side lighting a scrog? How will the middle underneath get light?

Good to see you back, hombre.

outwest

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

Sounds bright and excellent idea if the cooling is in place. Really want to try this for myself down the road. I believe there would be less larf and less shaving as well due to all that extra lighting. Sounds win win to me. MWD

dankworth

dankworth

Side lighting a scrog? How will the middle underneath get light?

Good to see you back, hombre.

outwest

Like if one had scrog screens kind of like this
img_1773-jpg.225284

with lights down the middle, hung slightly above the reflectix, to sidelight the bottoms. Some light would also be bounced right back up to the undersides given the reflectix. Size the screens so they had gaps in between them. Raceway tables on good casters so one could slide them aside to get at the plants from the aisles. Like a 3' wide screen per 4' wide bay. That kind of thing. Seems like a way to, with the same veg time, achieve 50% more weight per plant. Helps with those maxed out on room size, a way to increase output.

Edit- it's good to be back a bit, thanks outwest.
Oh and this would be done with more space between the aisles than in shown in that pic.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Yep wide aisles make sense. It seems to me that you would need a little extra veg time would be needed to get the most use out of the extra lighting, but then again more lighting will inherently reduce your veg time.

outwest

dankworth

dankworth

Yep wide aisles make sense. It seems to me that you would need a little extra veg time would be needed to get the most use out of the extra lighting, but then again more lighting will inherently reduce your veg time.

outwest
I'm thinking of scrogging as per the usual overhead lighting gig, but simply leaving more lower stuff on instead of shaving up to the screen. So same veg time, but more bearing surface on each stalk. The extra vert light should chunk up lowers that would be stripped away in the regular scrog setup.
At least that is what I am thinking, anyways.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
It would seem to me that if that is your intent you may not want the screen in the way.

outwest

dankworth

dankworth

It would seem to me that if that is your intent you may not want the screen in the way.

outwest
Screen will not cover the whole 4' wide section that the plant is scrogged to. Like 3' width of screen for a 4' wide canopy section. That way, the plants can be on raceway tables with casters. Possibly even have a track that the casters ride on so the tables remain perfectly parallel to one another in the room as they get slid aside.
So in theory, there would be be 12' wide of screen in a 16' wide area. So the tables could be slid aside to access the sides, or reflectors overhead, or whatever. 4' wide walkways could then be created anywhere in the canopy area to create room to walk down the aisles.
That way, the canopy could be fairly uninterrupted, while still allowing the ability to get in there to access any point in the canopy, from the top or from the sides.

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

What's up Farmers.. I'm running "hybrid" lighting now in my rooms. Although I do not grow using the scrogging method, more trees and bushes, I love what I see from the mix lighting. When I started this run my thoughts were to not shave as much down low and through the inside thinking my verts hung low would now thicken them up. The mixed lighting made the girls explode and thicken quick. I still had to shave the inside of my trees and bushes cause those bulbs had nice thick lower branches to work on and couldn't even hit the inside of the plants.
I'm getting ready to set up a room of coco race tables myself and had decided to do this exact thing. I do thing it would benifit most having 600 verts on both sides of the tray, maybe wings on the ones not between plants but on the outside, that way the lowers will be surrounded.. Maybe two verts on each side of a 4by4 area with the horizontal above. I see more then just the lower being benifited from the mix lighting. It seems the whole plant has really taken to being surrounded tops and sides.. I like the sound of this idea and I will be kicking it off within two months, I'm hoping a month.. just my thoughts..

jkbeing

jkbeing

You shave the bush for better airflow. You're gonna take away the airflow and add extra heat.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I want to see what you come up with. It sounds intriguing, as you're getting light sources right down close to plants. If you can manage the airflow and heat issues then I see potential for sure!

S

swisscheese

I've tried it in the past and it worked good but that was with hempy buckets idk how it would work with a flat canopy like yours dw. What about trying t8 strips around the edges of your scrog to get a more even light spread and less heat concentrated in one spot?

dankworth

dankworth

I've tried it in the past and it worked good but that was with hempy buckets idk how it would work with a flat canopy like yours dw. What about trying t8 strips around the edges of your scrog to get a more even light spread and less heat concentrated in one spot?
Don't have any t8 strips, but that would work. Have spare 1k ballasts though.
Penetration of 1ks due to intensity of light source is what I am going for. Higher light values emitted at greater distance.
Want to locate 1ks within the canopy to surround the 1k with canopy, more efficient for putting weight on in the canopy vs. sidelighting from the walls.
My spacing between the rows is what will allow 1ks. Folks with smaller plants, less spacing would probably be better off putting 6s between rows for example. But then light values change, etc.
In order to use 6s effectively, one must get them closer to the plant. Requiring more work, more micromanagement. I have been trying to move away from required micromanagement for a while.
After cleaning up the canopy during the last pruning at week 3, I will not have to do shit. The colas will be stuck in place, none will have to be tied up or anything. They will be contained by the trellis. I fucking hated having to go in and tie up colas in vert around week 6. What a huge pain in the ass.
Won't be shit to do until leaf pluck at week 8. Other than res changes and maybe some more foliar until wk 5 or so.
Want to get a room that can effectively run itself without lots of participation.
1ks promote this.
Goal eventually is 12 plants in a 12k room in an 8x16 canopy. Pure overhead lighting would have to have a 50% larger canopy area. Vert is even worse in terms of requirements for square footage.

This is probably pretty garbled, I haven't really woke up yet.

Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper

i have heard of growers in med states using this design and getting GREAT results! Seems to be the way to go, a bit of both Verical and Horizontal bulbs. Only drawback is the heat...so it's only really feasable if a grow space has more than adequate AC capabilities...

ttystikk

ttystikk

I'm thinking about Flowamasta's experiements with UVB lighting and I wonder if getting the little CFL bulbs that emit UVB light down between the rows might solve the problem of getting enough light on the plants to do them some good.

dankworth

dankworth

I'm thinking about Flowamasta's experiements with UVB lighting and I wonder if getting the little CFL bulbs that emit UVB light down between the rows might solve the problem of getting enough light on the plants to do them some good.
Maybe, depending on light values. I am going to play with a light meter more to determine a precise correlation between footcandles or lumens or whatever and resultant effects on density and frost.
UV down there seems like it could not hurt. I am guessing that non-uv spectrum delivered from a uv cfl will play a large part in how much bulk is put on down there.
Can't argue w/flowamasta's pics of uv effect, holy shit I want my room to all look like that.

waayne

waayne

dankworth I've been using hybrid lighting for a few years and I believe you'll see
a nice increase using the verts.Both in yield and in the quality of those lower nugs

I usually run tree's so my perspective is coming from that angle, when using a combination of 1000 watt HPS flats and verts I have rock solid nugs even down on the bottom of a large plant
Here's a pic of White Star Dawg colas right down at the very bottom of the plant
no larf here........
These plants are about 5 feet tall and 5 feet wide
IMG 6988

dankworth

dankworth

dankworth I've been using hybrid lighting for a few years and I believe you'll see
a nice increase using the verts.Both in yield and in the quality of those lower nugs

I usually run tree's so my perspective is coming from that angle, when using a combination of 1000 watt HPS flats and verts I have rock solid nugs even down on the bottom of a large plant
Here's a pic of White Star Dawg colas right down at the very bottom of the plant
no larf here........
These plants are about 5 feet tall and 5 feet wide
View attachment 262376
Hell yeah! Thanks for confirming my suspicions, waayne. Very nice looking work.

mrfixit

mrfixit

It's even easier if you work with a vertical SCRoG! First pix is my first "V" vertical and then my v2 "coliseum style" design with the 3rd pix being a test run with one plant currently...

Overview 2
Overview 1w
BD 1w

Latest posts

Top Bottom