Hydrated Lime as a replacement for cal-mag??

• Thread starter MediMary
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MediMary

I am running deep water culture, ran out of cal-mag, have a bag of this stuff left over from the summer for some soil plants.
411MT8LH5yL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Has anyone ever used this stuff before as a substitute for cal-mag in a hydroponic resevoir
?

Here is the label, Click here

looked around but couldnt find any info on using this stuff hydroponically.

Thanks.

M

MediMary

in my search I just came across this,
Page 313
talks about the compostion of rockwool, I wonder if growing in the 6x6x6 cubes if this helps supplement the cal-mag needs of a plant, I have found some folks say no cal mag is needed, but some of them were growing in rockwool(ie doubleds), maybe that is partially why some growers dont need cal mag?

just a random thought.

M

MediMary

its 3.00$ for a 6 pound bag of hydrated lime by the way.
not that cal mag is expensive or anything.
lol
=)

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Never tried it, but be sure to not OD your girls on calcium. It is nearly impossible to flush out, and they rarely recover.

M

MediMary

cool thanks for the input altitude, this is somewhat of a unique question.

I know probably just more practical to buy the cal-mag, but if someone has tried it, and they can vouch it works, ill give it a go. My curiosity has been tapped.

Maybe 1/4 teaspoon hydrated lime
with 1/4 teaspoon Epsom salts
?

M

MediMary

hey kuz, if you wouldnt mind could you explain the conversion thing a little better,, or if you got a link you could send me to, im to good with that kinda stuff.

K

kuz

I'm just going off of 5ml per t, not sure how accurate it is.

M

MediMary

word, well I decided to dose one plant just for shits and giggles and to satisfy my curiosity, Im phasing this strain out anyways, will let you know if the plants dead tomorrow.

lol.

curiosity kills cats and plants.
hahaha

M

MediMary

went with 1/8 tsp per gallon of water, plant looks fine, roots are still bright white.

Top Bottom