hydro and power outtages

• Thread starter LBH
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LBH

LBH

I use recirculating bubble buckets. I live in New England. Today, we have a blizzard keeping us company and it's supposed to bring some heavy, wet snow, classic stuff for bringing down lines.

Anyway, I got to thinking,.....being on the 3rd floot, in an apt, I can't run the john deere generator although, worst case scenario, I would. All my neighbors know what I do here (we are all older folks, 50's)

So I'm trying to brainstorm some ways to keep my girls going if the power went out and remembered the aerators used for minnow buckets (Fishing). Battery operated air pump[s basically. That's all I would need to keep them alive till we got power back, yes?
s7_013714_imageset_02

I can get these for $7, a pretty good insurance policy, $84 to cover 12 plants. Drag my trolling motor battery up when the power dies and we're back in business.

Also, I know flowering, I would just lose a day, or however the power is down for, but for the veg stuff, if it happens at night, would a few flashlights, or even candle light, keep them from flipping?

F

FunkyMonky

Your girls should be fine without any help, they'll live without any oxygen for some time, or if your worried then buy some oxygenating tables from the local aquarium shop.

S

Spuzzum

I was going to suggest a pc ups back-up power supply, but only just realized they only last about 15 minutes. Not good enough. :p

20north

they only work for a small amount of time IF you are running lamps on them. that would be considered a full load for one of these things.

if your just running pumps and air pumps and things like that co2 timers and things they should run for a fair amount of time for you to get back on your feet

20north

using a couple flashlights would be perfectly fine man! :D just make sure they have a big light radius

S

Spuzzum

been discussed in the past. you use a COMPUTER POWER STRIP THAT HAS A BACKUP BATTERY

this is in a way what you want right here in this newegg link

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102070

have fun!

Code:
Battery Run Time

Entry-level PC with 19" LCD (150W) - 30 min.
Midrange PC with 19" LCD (300W) - 14 min.
Performance PC with 19" LCD (500W) - 7 min.

Battery Recharge Time

8 Hours

I already stated they won't run for very long.. they're only meant so you can save your files, then shut your pc down when a power outage happens. Nothing's worse than 2 hours worth of work lost because of a power outage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom