Hydro Innovations HydroGen (looking for user feedback?)

• Thread starter nixusr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

nixusr

Hello, I’ve been researching c02 generators and have been interested in Hydro Innovation’s HydroGen unit. My issue is that I can not decide if I should go down the generator route OR the tank route.

On my next run I’m completely sealing my 12 x 12 x 7 space. (Running (4) air cooled 600s)

I like the fact that the HydroGen can be water cooled which is a plus because I plan to run Ice Boxes on 2 reflectors. I can also cool the c02 unit and eliminate the need for an AC unit.

However, I’m concerned about safety. How safe are these propane / nat gas powered gens?
I can not seem to find any user reviews on the hydrogen. I seen plenty site reviews but no “real world” reviews. I’ve dugg through threads and see bits and pieces but nothing too solid.

I was leaning toward getting (2) c02 tanks with dual c02 reg + Titan Atlas 1 c02 monitor. I’m just a little worried on how long it will take to deplete tanks vs. a generator.

*Ultimately I wouldl go down the generator route if these are safe. I would hate to wake up on fire!

Any feedback would be gold! Thanks.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Your goin to need a pretty big res and a chiller if your goin to run the water cooled setup on the Hydrogen and ice boxes....drain to waste, waste alot of water and if your not on a well it gets costly, just like firing your hot water heater all day because the water never heats up..it also has an open flame

Propane generator kicks but does have an open flame..you rarely here about anyone burning down the house with these, follow the mounting instructions, one small tank like used on a bbq will last 3 weeks or so plus you can get refills just about anywhere and anytime..

Bottles work great as well but your tied into a hydro store or refill center and depending on the size of the tank you may be there often..not good but no open flame..

Tex

SAMCRO

SAMCRO

I run a CO2 Burner with Liquid Propane. It last longer and its cheaper than CO2 Tanks. I was a bit worried when running it at the beginning because of fire. But got over it as I see it working and build trust with the unit. Theres always risk with an open flame. Theres just as much risk with running 1000 HPS lights too or an electrical fire from overloading circuits etc. So its just not just one thing to worry about fire. Its many aspects. I looked at the Hydrogen unit from Hydro Innovations but decided against it because I was not water cooling so did not have a chiller at the time. I also remember that the Hydrogen unit has no control over the PPM. Its either 1500 PPM or or close to it and off. I felt I needed more control over the CO2 by being able to adjust up or down depending on the grow. Their CO2 unit does not give you control over adjusting the CO2 being enriched. I could be wrong and this only from memory. The other units including regulators and running tanks most give you the ability to control the enrichment process.

If your paranoid of fire and an open flame in your grow room start with the bottles and a regulator.

SAMCRO

SAMCRO

Texas Kid is right. I forgot about being tied to a local hydro shop for CO2 replacement all the time.

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
mine works great. there is an adjustment for the flame, and the water flow.
This is because it is essentially a tankless hot water heater.
I have my water flow all the way down, and my flame on medium.
it changes my room temps around 2 degrees.
I have it set on a cycle timer for 2 1/2 min on 15 off.
my room is 10 x 20 w 10 ft ceilings and my ppms are between 1350-1600
i've had mine for five years.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Once your res water gets to hot, your Hydrogen quits firing, the thermostat reads that there is hot water and it doesn't fire the burners at all it just cycles the water..

I have one of the first ones from them sittin in one of my closets, ran it two flips and retired it, it was to much of a headache for me and water supply/drainage was an issue for me..

Now if you already have a tankless hot water setup in your house, just devert the exhaust flew into your growroom and your set..

Tex

N

nixusr

Wow! Good looking out everyone for the feedback! Why didn't I post sooner!

I was at my local hydro spot a few months ago and was thrown off by one of the sales guys. I seen that they had the HydroGen unit and I started asking questions.

The guy was saying how they were not real happy with the units or hydro innovations because they got a shipment of 4 units that all came doa. So at that point I started trying to find feedback on these units.

I'm back on the train for getting one of these because I dread the idea of dragging tanks to and from my house. (I can see my nosey neighbor looking.)

Before today it had been a while since I've been on the hydro innovations website. Looks like they have a newer version of the hydrogen and a BOATLOAD of detailed documentation. In less than 48 hours I got a much better idea how to plan and rebuild my room now.

Thanks folks!

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
I run mine drain to waste, hooked up to city water

M

mrduke

Man you are crazy if your gonna buy a hydro made co2 gen. THEY ARE A TANKLESS WATER HEATER. honestly take a look around there are threads on this site and all over the web. You can pick up the same WH for abour 125 buck or pay close to 300 for one with a hydro invention sticker covering the original label. your call just trying to help a brother out.

M

mrduke

if you want a really good thread about them check out rollitup. org then search tankless waterheater theres a long but good one all about the setup and which ones to buy. I buoght one and ran it for two cycles but couldnt get the temps to sty down and hated wasting so much water, that now it sitting in the attic woth a controller and pump. Just waiting for me to get a mini split so i can use it again.

Z

ZombieSlave

I dunno i dig mine i know if i didnt have this water cooled burner my room would be incredibly hot.

Tex I dont have a chiller on my 45 Gal res and I run 4 Icebox's with the co2 gen so I dont think there is a temp cut off i dunno.

I do know if you do not build your manifold right, do not have the right pump, and do not air in the line. and you gota clean the screens every now and then.

It is a huge headache untill you figure it out. i dig what it does personally.

PS. I also use there controller I dig how it turns things on and off as result of ppm's.

Top Bottom