Hydro Innovations? Water cooled everything?

• Thread starter budbrothers
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

budbrothers

ooooooooooooooooo.... im excited. they already sell the air handlers.

thanks UCMENOW.

do you know when is this suppose to be released? i need to figure out what im doing asap. i have to have both rooms ready by nov. also is the engery consumption gonna be cheaper than that of a standard ac or a mini split?
and what is the coldest operating temp? im in the snow.

R

RMCG

Steven at Hydro Innovations just told me that they've got a new application they're introducing that will make Ice Boxes, Dehueys, and AC's unnecessary.....all you need is a chiller and a Air Handler.....

He told me the details of how it's done and all I can say is it's about to change the game, especially for all you water culture guys already needing chillers.

It's the new style 2.0

Interest == Officially Piqued!

:sun

C

crossouttheiis

Steven at Hydro Innovations just told me that they've got a new application they're introducing that will make Ice Boxes, Dehueys, and AC's unnecessary.....all you need is a chiller and a Air Handler.....

He told me the details of how it's done and all I can say is it's about to change the game, especially for all you water culture guys already needing chillers.

It's the new style 2.0

How big of a chiller and air handler are we talking about? I guess I know it depends on the room, but I am curious to see this. When are they planning on releasing this?

R

RMCG

Lots of people already make large chillers and chilled water air handlers (for much cheaper and a better warranty than CK) so this had better be revolutionary.

I would rather run a 5T chilled water air handler than a minisplit. Zero need for an HVAC guy then.

Giddeon

Giddeon

I thought about the same thing bro... To water cool a room like that you need at least a 5 ton chiller... which is the same price or more than a 5 ton AC.. Try to calculate your room costs with buying the correct size AC only? believe its 5000 BTU per 1k light jus to be safe. I went with the AC with Jack's instruction and believe it to be a much better and more convenient way than trying to water cool a whole room.. seems a lot of things could go wrong if not perfect and could be inefficient. Seems to be a too much work and too much money when a proper size AC for your needs is guaranteed all you will need to have and you can do barebulbs if you like...
jus my .02

R

RMCG

I thought about the same thing bro... To water cool a room like that you need at least a 5 ton chiller... which is the same price or more than a 5 ton AC.. Try to calculate your room costs with buying the correct size AC only? believe its 5000 BTU per 1k light jus to be safe. I went with the AC with Jack's instruction and believe it to be a much better and more convenient way than trying to water cool a whole room.. seems a lot of things could go wrong if not perfect and could be inefficient. Seems to be a too much work and too much money when a proper size AC for your needs is guaranteed all you will need to have and you can do barebulbs if you like...
jus my .02

A 60,000btu air handler = 5T cooling power, regardless of whether its water or refrigerant.

B

budbrothers

Lots of people already make large chillers and chilled water air handlers (for much cheaper and a better warranty than CK) so this had better be revolutionary.

I would rather run a 5T chilled water air handler than a mini split
. Zero need for an HVAC guy then.

you don't need an hvac guy for a mini split. they come pre charged with quick connections in most models.

i was gonna go 3 ton in each room running 8 lights. it would be 4000btu a light. cutting it close i know but its cheaper and easier and less juice needed.
the other option is i do a 10 ton self contained with 2 thermostats and an air dampener with for each room. for the same price as a single 5 ton. the difference is the size. huge!

R

RMCG

you don't need an hvac guy for a mini split. they come pre charged with quick connections in most models.

i was gonna go 3 ton in each room running 8 lights. it would be 4000btu a light. cutting it close i know but its cheaper and easier and less juice needed.
the other option is i do a 10 ton self contained with 2 thermostats and an air dampener with for each room. for the same price as a single 5 ton. the difference is the size. huge!

Maybe not ~need~ one, I know they all say 'self install', but warranty is voided if you don't have a certified installer do it. Unless you own gauges, torch, vacuum pump and can get/recover refrigerant(if necessary and if you move locations), you are going to need one.
I know people here on the farm are pretty handy, but I'm pretty damn sure I can run PVC/PEX from a chiller to a res and from res to air handler all on my own.

B

budbrothers

for sure it defenitly is easier. but not cost effective really.

F

fido

It's the new style 2.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrWud7T8q5A
ITS THE NEEEW STYLE!
hope its beastly!
don't we all?

fido

Giddeon

Giddeon

A 60,000btu air handler = 5T cooling power, regardless of whether its water or refrigerant.

Water cooling is always going to be a very high initial cost though, I spent 3 HRS on the phone talking with chillking reps before I decided to just get a large enough AC for the job

ChillKing 60,000BTU air Handler - $3400

ChillKing 5 HP Residential Chiller (Self-Contained) 220v - $7000

Plus another $50 bucks for water Lines (just an estimate since the water chiller has to be located outside is what the chillking rep said) Putting the total for a water cooled AC system at about $10,450

Then add to that if you plan on running Ice boxes and a larger chiller to accommodate more equipment on the system.

OR

5 ton portable unit made for a sealed room (easily ducted in and out just like air cooled lights in a sealed room) $6400
They also make water cooled units(if you live by a river or lake) or Split units if ducting the unit isn't an option

Same cooling capacity in a sense, and in both cases there is no need for a HVAC guy to come in.

If you can run the electrical to the Water Chiller you should be able to run the power to the AC as well

R

RMCG

Jandy Pool Chiller (80k chiller) ~4k
Multi-Aqua air handlers (2) ~800/each.
Glycol 100
Res and Pump 300
Plumbing 200
Still have room for res chillers, etc.

I do not think that the IceBoxes are 'worth' it in a larger installation.
I would rather just have one air handler and be done.

I keep looking at the Kwikool and FrostBox units as well.

I think it will come down to efficiency that is where the 'savings' comes in.

B

budbrothers

Water cooling is always going to be a very high initial cost though, I spent 3 HRS on the phone talking with chillking reps before I decided to just get a large enough AC for the job

ChillKing 60,000BTU air Handler - $3400

ChillKing 5 HP Residential Chiller (Self-Contained) 220v - $7000

Plus another $50 bucks for water Lines (just an estimate since the water chiller has to be located outside is what the chillking rep said) Putting the total for a water cooled AC system at about $10,450

Then add to that if you plan on running Ice boxes and a larger chiller to accommodate more equipment on the system.

OR

5 ton portable unit made for a sealed room (easily ducted in and out just like air cooled lights in a sealed room) $6400
They also make water cooled units(if you live by a river or lake) or Split units if ducting the unit isn't an option

Same cooling capacity in a sense, and in both cases there is no need for a HVAC guy to come in.

If you can run the electrical to the Water Chiller you should be able to run the power to the AC as well

i like it. only prob it runs at 460volts. not for houses. commercial only.

B

budbrothers

230 v and $400 less

like i said i like it but look at the amperage. you need 50amp just for that. i could buy to home style 5ton splits and run them both on 50amps.
this is good for commercial applications. i can fuck with it cause i am changing my service panel from a 125 to a 400amp. lol i put 2 of those bad boys in and im set.

fluffygrrrl

fluffygrrrl

does anyone know the efficiency rating on these self contained/portable units? Kwikkool doesn't have a seer rating on its site. Neither does excel air or frost box. If I'm paying this much money for one, I want to get the tax credit for an energy efficient one.

B

budbrothers

Ecxel just came out with a seer rating of 13. Not great but better. The portable units not sure on yet either. I called to see how much to lease one. It was 570 a week or 1750 a month. Crazy. You rent that for 4 months you could buy a new one. I think it was features in rosebud mag.

Top Bottom