Hydro newbie - looking for advice

• Thread starter Jimson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jimson

I just did a run in DIY 'Earth Buckets' which has convinced me to try hydro again (2nd try). My idea is to expand on what I have- basically to hook-up some 5-gallon buckets configured like re-circulating Waterfarms. I will be starting with just 4 sites, I have room for 8. I don't use CO2. I am using a portable ac unit. This is a low-buck operation, currently using one 400 & one 600 watt light. I am using tents now but plan to go to a closed room setup this fall.

Most of my confusion is about "chillers". What does a newbie need to know? :help: I assume I will want a 1/4 HP? I certainly want to stay with 120volt for power. I have pumps but do chillers come with plumbing? Is there a need for filters? RO-water? (Our well water registers zero on my ppm truncheon)

I am wondering why people use timers on the controllers - is this just for ebb & flow setups?

1/2" tubing OK for my size operation?

On the advice of my favorite store I bought into the organic Earth Juice line. Now I read that these clog up hydro system lines - True?

I still have plenty of GH 3-Part left - would it be wiser in your experience to start with 'regular nutes' and move to organic later?

Thanks for listening. BCNU

J

Jalisco Kid

The compressor size is ok for 8 plants.1/2" is ok for feeding ,I would go bigger on the drain. JK

J

Jimson

Thanks Kid,

Looks like I asked too many questions this time - 8^).

BudGoggles

BudGoggles

That 1/4 hp chiller is perfect if you ever wanna upgrade that thing will chill 20 5 gal buckets no problem.
Stick with the chem nutes for now and learn the hydro game first. My experience is to keep a nice clean sterile home for your roots and they will reward you greatly.
You dont need no timer on your controller it will all balance its self out gravity.
BG

Top Bottom