Hydro nutes in soil. Can you use them?

• Thread starter Dankh3ad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dankh3ad

Dankh3ad

I have a nice amount of hydro nutes and I'm running out of my soil nutes. Will any harm be done if I use them?

BigCube

BigCube

That's what I do. Depending on your soil and how well it drains and holds salts.

The best way to go about it is get a TDS meter.

TDS Meter,ProPOW Water Quality Tester 3-in-1 TDS/EC/Temperature Meter,Water Testing Kits for Drinking Water,Swimming Pools,Aquariums,Hydroponics, Measure 0-9999 ppm (Yellow)

When you water your plant, water 20 or 30% more, and capture the water that drains out the bottom of the pot. Test it with your tds meter so you know how many ppm are already in the soil. When they drop too low, time to feed the plant again.

After a while, you can just watch the plant, it will tell you. But that's something that takes time to develop.
TDS meter will take the guess work out.

For me, what I do is water full nutrients. Then my next 3 or 4 waterings are just water, then cycle like that. But that's just me, it gets a bit more complicated than that, specially late in flower. It's best just to have a TDS meter until you get the feel of it.

NairnM16

NairnM16

I have a nice amount of hydro nutes and I'm running out of my soil nutes. Will any harm be done if I use them?
My main concern is ph,
Most judo Nutes up take at 5.8-6.2
And soil needs a ph of 6.5-7
In theory I don’t see this working I see some Nutes getting locked out

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Nutes is Nutes! Hydro nutes will all be water soluble, so they are used differently when feeding, but otherwise they are pretty much the same thing as regular fertilizers.

BigCube

BigCube

My main concern is ph,

It works fine.

20191213 111643

20200103 154514

20191207 144056
20190711 092158

20190726 091832

In fact, they love it.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
My main concern is ph,
In my opinion, as long as the Ph is between 6 and 7, I think you are OK in just about any medium. Most nutes are soluble within this Ph range and are available to the plant. Too much of some nutes will cause a lockout of others, but that happens by a process different than Ph lockout. Many soils will become more acidic with time, such as from addition of acidic nutrients (which most are) or from bacterial and enzymatic degradations... much like some bacteria eat alcohol and give of acetic acid... vinegar, which , is pretty acidic. Hydro doesn't deal with this because the medium is constantly changing so the Ph is kept lower.
Go easy on the nutes until you get a better feel for the plant's reaction. Every day I wake up to see the centers of my plants looking lime green. Most would panic, but it is simply from the plants growing during the lights out period... by the end of the day the chlorophyll will have grown in and everything looks uniform again.It is a natural part of a plant's growth. If you learn the rythems and actions of your plants, you will have a great outcome. The hardest part of growing is restraint. Either restraint with fertilizing, too much mothering, too much water, or chop too soon... patience and restraint will solve most potential problems.

Top Bottom